Status
Not open for further replies.

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An amusing picture from today\'s GTG

No caption needed:
You must be registered for see images

(the Supra pictured is a BPU+ 6-sp, and belongs to a friend of mine. I have seen him run 12.1 @ 121 at Sacramento; his best is 12.0 @ 121)

cstegall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: An amusing picture from today\'s GTG

Ben,

I got "patted" by one of those last weekend(you know...a pat on the head that says "nice Viper..come back when you can keep up".) His car was VERY fast...
So...Mr. Levin can you help me?

CStegall

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I wouldn't really call that Supra a Viper Killer if he's doing the 12's.

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hee hee. Perhaps I can secure agreement from him to change his plate if I beat him at Sacto on 5/4. OTOH, the reciprocal agreement might be that I put "2JZ BAIT" on my Viper if I lose, so perhaps I won't persue that line of inquiry.

Seriously though, I've yet to see a stock Viper run a sub-12 at Sacramento raceway, and Steve's trap speed means he'd pull one a bit from a roll. Maybe I'll make him the subject of a video once I get my RT back from Doug
smile.gif

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ben,
I think this is the guy I raced last year at a Sac Raceway Grudge Match. He was running drag radials and putting out about the same RWHP. Also a much better driver. He "killed" me with a 12.1/116.6 to my 12.5/118.6. It was a fun race. He jumped me at the 60 and I couldn't catch him.

R/T .71 .72
60' 2.00 2.28
1/8 7.98 8.33
mph 92.1 92.6
1/4 12.18 12.51
mph 116.6 118.6

With some more practice, new rears (still on original MXX3's with 19k) and my VEC I, I hope to better represent us next time!
P.S. I don't remember that license plate. He must have got it after racing me!

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You know what, I didn't even notice the license plate on the Supra until it was specifically mentioned in a later post. The Toyota is nearly invisible in that picture next to the Viper. Still, I know with big turbos, intercoolers, etc they can be fast.

One question I have is, why don't I ever see see Supras at road course track days? Are they drag cars only?

Jim

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did see two at the last Thunderhill Street School I attended. I passed one and then he spun out trying to catch up to me. They did not seem that fast in the turns and these two I could pass on the straights.

Ken Larsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think someone should stick some oars out the windows and push that ugly supra boat out into the ocean.

j/k

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Hodel:
Are they drag cars only?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you mean "Race from a roll only" cars? That's all you ever hear them doing...

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That Supra has the sex appeal of a brick wall. Oh yeah, it will beat a Viper (rarely), but who gets all of the chicks?

Rich Detert

Viper Owner
Reaction score

As far as I can tell the comparison is being done between a stock Viper and a modded Supra. If you want to keep it fair compare two cars with mods.

Other that to restate the obvious when all is said and done, It's still only a Supra.you can make almost any car faster than a stock Viper, But why bother?

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Err, he'd lose. Badly
smile.gif
I hope to have that video later this year...

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Steve,
Should be an interesting race on 5/4 up at Sacto, eh? We'll see how your stock turbo Supra fares against my stock engine Viper. Bring your drag radials, because I'll be bringing my ET Streets. Then in June, we can compare your single turbo Supra to my single supercharger Viper. Shall we say street tires or slicks for that race?

PS: remember who taught you how to get from 117 to 120 mph traps, grashopper. If you think I don't know what I'm up against... think again
smile.gif

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Muahahaha. You don't really expect me to reveal all my tricks until after the race, do you? I promise no power adders (NOS, S/C, headers etc.) but other than that anything's fair game. I ran a 12.5 with that wimpy 113 trap speed, and that was at full weight with street tires and 30 psi all around. If you don't think I can pick up 0.6 secs without modding the engine -- well, let's just say you may be in for a rude surprise
bounce.gif

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are the Turbo Supras really that good at the track? I've never seen any there. Just curious. Also, if the car is so awesome performance for the dollar, why did Toyota stop making them? Sounds like a stupid decision on their part. Hell, I'd add one to my collection if it was a great track car. I don't think they're ugly at all.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mr. Supra dude, out of curiousity what kind of times did you turn at Thunderhill. In road racing it's not so much the car as the driver. I would love for you to meet up with John Dearing in his STOCK GTS on street tires so you could get a little piece of humble pie, he turns 2:05s there, STOCK.

USAF BAD ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverSupra:

BUT THE BEST.....is that I love....."oh stock to stock.....uhh
how much does it cost you guys to get in 11's??? me...900 bucks
9-10's????? me...less than 5k (bigger turbo, fuel, and computer)
also....3 liter......compared to what????
that is the stupidest thing.....EVERYONE mods their cars.....so race what you brung!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you definately sound like a ricer... you HAVE to compare stock... otherwise, using your argument, you should have gone out and got some old civic for next to nothing and made it faster than your supra, for a whole lot less. There is a little red sentra SE-R in my town that could run rings around you on the 1/4, and he doesn't have anyhthing NEAR what you have in your ***-mobile. And at the end of the day when we're going home... you have your mind blowing 460rwhp and a ghetto wing on the back.. and I have an exotic car which turns far more heads.. and since 99.99999% of my time is off track, that's what I bought it for!

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not to worry -- I'll be able to hook up
biggrin.gif

You must be registered for see images

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You or any of your little Supra buddies would get your a$$ handed to you by John Dearing if you run street rubber at T-hill. That I would get my wallet out for, you wanna make it interesting enough we'll take the trip up, Supra dude. Better yet John and I are teaming up as co-drivers in the Open Track Challenge, 7 tracks in 7 days go to www.opentrackchallenge and enter, then we'll see. I noticed there were no Supras entered, I wonder why?

Ken Larsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverSupra:
I really don't care whose car turns more heads.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No kidding... I mean you did buy a .. supra
dead.gif
dead.gif

Ken Larsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mr2:
This post just confirms viper owners have HUGE egos period.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Who's prejudging?

oh i see... ah never mind.

Ken Larsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score

why, because i like the looks of the viper better? some of us did not buy our cars to road race, drag race, hp monsters.. some of us just bought our vipers as all around awsome street cars. I could of easly bought a supra.. did I .. no. not what i wanted.

Ken Larsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score

bingo ^^^^^^

what JM said!!!

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score

91 MR2, why are you posting here? I think the Supra can defend himself... no need for little brother
laugh.gif

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

All those great arguments about Supras have finally converted me!! I think I'll sell my GTS and buy a few!!
tongue.gif

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score

here's a tough quizz for ya....if a viper ran 12's and a supra ran 12's (with mods...of course)...and you could afford a viper, which would you buy?........now take your time and think this one out.
now....all you viper owners that are gonna go out and trade your cars for a supra....raise your hands....come on....raise em high.
hmmmmm.....that's what i thought.
have a nice day kids.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.