Another Dyno Run

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, not as good as Chris Marshall's, but good enough.

Had 503 miles at start of dyno. Only put on 3 miles "playing" with computer trying to floor it about 5-6 times, but too darn many cops around --- should have gotten a ticket once when I went by a cop during an "acceleration experiment." But, I am a Shawnee resident, Chris, and they only ticket "foreigners." I like to attribute the slightly lower numbers to my old fella style of driving, and the computer didn't know who that new guy was.

Using the .875 factor, the best gives:
HP = 503
TQ = 557

Interestingly, at 503 miles it had 503HP. Let's see, maybe another 50 miles would help.

160My_SRT_Dyno-med.jpg

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good numbers! I think you are correct on the driving style. I know you are generally pretty gentle on your cars during break in and your computer probably reflects that. The manual said I needed to keep it below 4,000 RPMs and vary it, so I made sure to vary it between 3,997 and 3,999 RPM's... :laugh:

Seriously, I think that both of us will see an increase on the dyno as we explore the limits of these cars a bit more in the coming months. MC Racing mentioned that you floored it for the very first time just outside of the dyno. I would be willing to bet that both the computer and the engine need a little more time to adapt to the sudden increase in go pedal. I am confident that the silver cars, while not quite as fast as yellow, will certainly blow away the black ones... ;)

Chris

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I just received my Silver SRT-10 in Springfield, MO. My very first ride or drive in a Viper was when I sat in my new car. I was a bit intimidated at first but am loving each additional mile (only 60). I became excited about this car and have learned a great deal over the last 3 or 4 months from reading your posts on this board.

What is a driving rpm for this car? Should I keep the rpm between 2000-3000, lug it out at 1000? Any help from the experts would be greatly appreciated!

OP
OP
F

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I did is follow the manual's recommendations to keep under 4000 RPMs until 500 miles. Then I nailed the crap out of it! This car is scary. It seems much stronger than my GTS. I've not been able to even get it to hook up in first gear. Second is very exciting. Actually, this car shouldn't be on any public roads!

I have been told by some knowledgeable folks to NEVER lug the engine. Keep the RPM up more than you normally would and vary them a bunch. When I was on the highway, I frequently shifted into different gears to vary the RPMs.

Others could probably tell you more.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is what puzzles me. Greg's BONE STOCK (Stock dirty filters, no smooth tubes, no tune up... NOTHING) pulled the same numbers on his 2000 RT/10 that is rated 50hp less from the factory.

Sure Greg's car has some miles on it, but are you going to see a 43.75 HP increase once you get some mile on your car? (for the claimed 50hp more motor)

Since your car is the exact same output, it would be a good race. My car pulls from Gregs. I hope I can pull from you :)

Milksnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am confused. Why do you have a new SRT-10 when you never owned a VIPER? ( or have I misread your posting)We are awaiting ours and still have not gotten a delievery date! Glad you learned from the postings, however, we learned first hand. Please tell us your secret for getting a VIPER before certificate holders.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Milksnake....there are several SRT-10s for sale at any given time on Ebay, and in places like Autoweek and the DuPont Registry. Cough up 87 - 100K and you can get one without a certificate.

Search the posts on this section of the board and you'll find lengthy discussions regarding SRT-10s for sale.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am confused. Why do you have a new SRT-10 when you never owned a VIPER? ( or have I misread your posting)We are awaiting ours and still have not gotten a delievery date! Glad you learned from the postings, however, we learned first hand. Please tell us your secret for getting a VIPER before certificate holders.

Me thinks he bought the car off of a cert holder.

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Milksnake,
Springfield has three large exotic car dealers. They pay 5 to 10 grand cash over your certificate purchase price. So they will have new SRT's for sale down there.

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All are correct. Springfield has three large exotic dealers. I actually put deposits with several dealers (all over the country) and brokers. I turned down 4 cars, 2 prior to 1/1/03. Anywhere from 10-25K over sticker. Finally a dealer had a car for someone that wasn't going to take it......I did.

I only have 100 miles on now and weather probably won't permit any next week. I have been varing the rpm but hate to lug the engine so I've been between 1500-3000. Once I dropped to second and zipped up just shy of 4000 and let off, just as Frank said....scary! The car almost came off the ground. Public roads are a menace especially down here in the land of the rednecks! I can't give any new information that hasn't already been posted by the experts.....great car, lifter noise, driver door sticks, glare in window from the gauge. Everything else is out of this world. People down here don't know what the car is, they just pass me and give me a thumbs up!

Don't be too ******* me for wanting to join the club and figuring a way to do it... Thanks for all of your input in helping me pick the 'car' for my toy garage. Dave

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, forgot one thing. When I started looking and found out about the cert program I thought it was a heck of an idea. As I have read everyone posts, I thought that the initial cert program could have been modified to be more of a first come first serve for previous owners who ACTUALLY buy the new car. As it stands now CAAP is building cars for people that have no intention of owning the car. That wouldn't stop people from buying and selling the car but at least all of you loyal followers would get your car first, then let the rest of us fight for the remainders. I told all of the brokers I was more than willing to wait but cars kept 'presenting' themselves to me. I told my wife the day of delivery that it wasn't fair for me to get one prior to previous owners but that was the system I had to work under. Dave

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Public roads are a menace especially down here in the land of the rednecks!
You don't know what rednecks are until you come down to the bowls of America... Alabama. Tried to get my hood repainted due to some damage during shipment of the car (96 R/T) and after having the car for a day said they were afraid to screw up the hood, didn't want to take the chance. Left me hanging big time. And the roads, please.......

Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang