Another tire search question... looking for current info

chrisd0729

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lot's of questions on the board around finding tires however, I'm looking for current info as availability obviously changes frequently on these tires.
I'm looking for tires for an 02 ACR and don't want race/slicks style. Even if not the original Michelins, I'm looking for something with a normal street tread.
Spoke with Luke at TireRack yesterday and he doesn't know of any available now however, he's expecting BFG G-FORCE RIVAL S to be available in December. I just don't like the look of these as I want a stock look.

Any leads on tires or suggested sources I can search are much appreciated.

Thanks,

OP
OP
C

chrisd0729

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nitto NT555/NT555R seem to have good reviews from my Corvette buddies and on my Corvette forum. And I can get a full set of 4 tires for just over $1000!
Anyone have experience with these for a weekend toy car, no bad weather, no racing, but definitely some spirited driving that requires good traction and handling. Also, hoping to get 10k+ miles out of them and not a typical racing tire life.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
555's are a great tire on any car, plenty of DSM guys ran them on the street and track.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TalonTSi90:3286290 said:
Not sure, they are toted as drag radials.

The side walls on a drag radial are not the same as a Road tire. A drag radial will not corner and handle the same as a street Tire or a road course Tire.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what I get for going with memory, the 555r is the drag radial, the plain 555 is a summer tire.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I think I had a set of plain 555's on my old 2000 XKR. They seemed like a pretty nice tire, though they weren't pushed to their limits or anything on that car. Not that it's the best comparison, but my dad has Nitto Invos on his 03 that seem like a pretty nice tire. I guess my point there being that Nitto seems to make some fairly good stuff. They're typically known as being pretty sticky, though I imagine that comes with reduced life. Driving style will have a lot to do with how many miles you can get. For instance, I got 20k out of the rears on my Pilot Supersports on my 04 where some people barely get 12k. Fronts were good for twice that in my case. Most people also tend to age out before they mile out tires on cars like these since they don't drive them much.

steve e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MoparMap, your right, most age out. I am on my 3rd set on my 99 GTS with 2826 miles on it. I have been using Pilot Supersports and each time I put on a new set I can not feel a difference so I think this will be my last set for the next 15 years.:D

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a set of Michelin PS2 that I might sell. In heated storage. My wife would love for me to get them out of the basement.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
MoparMap, your right, most age out. I am on my 3rd set on my 99 GTS with 2826 miles on it. I have been using Pilot Supersports and each time I put on a new set I can not feel a difference so I think this will be my last set for the next 15 years.:D

Driving style makes a difference on what would be considered a "good tire" too. I have driven mine down to single digit temperatures just fine because I don't hot rod it when the conditions aren't good. Older tires that are still physically sound are likely fine for just driving around, but I wouldn't push them that hard. All depends on what you want to do with the car.

Intrazel

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have Two Sets of Michelin PS2's and Super Sports @ 90% tread , two front sets/one rear for Gen II's with 18's and one full set for Gen III's 18/19's !! Always garaged and still like new !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32