Another Viper vs Z06 Spat...

TOOOFST

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No smack will satisfy,so talk to your ZO6 friend and lets agree on a track day.DA GROVE is fine,since he went 12.20 there.I'm sure we'll have a few snake's on hand!PS.we'll skip the top end,slalom,and show and shine to be friendly
aysmile.gif

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I happen to like the Z06 Corvette, but the cars [Viper and Z06] are so closely matched that either one could pull the advantage on any given day. In other words, the driver's ability and mods are the clearest factors that set the two cars apart. The Vettes are supposed to handle better in very tight turns, but we're talking parking lot tight, not the garden variety public roadways nor common road course setup.

"... said that Vipers are junk," as stated by the mechanic who hepled build the Z06. Well, there are no shortages of opinion in this world. Such a vague statement would lead one to believe that the guy is either jealous that he doesn't own a Viper and therefore one of those guys that bags on something to make himself feel better, heavily biased towards GM products, or maybe he's simply seeing a lot of Vipers come through his shop that are run very hard.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My buddy has a modified Supra that runs high 12's. This guy in a Z06 pulls up next to him this weekend and wants to race. Said he had a special Viper Killer package installed. Well, my buddy smoked him like 10 times and the guy still wanted to keep racing. Viper Killer package
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I don't think the guy got his moneys worth. I run low to mid 12's so I think I would have smoked the heck out of him too. As far as the reliability question, my Viper has been very reliable and I run the hell out of it all the time.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, you're in Chicago. Maybe Chuck 97 GTS will "grow a set" and pull his garage queen out for a run. If not, I could stop by on my way to Road America and take on the Z06.

Hey "other" Chuck, is the pizza invite still good?

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Hey, you're in Chicago. Maybe Chuck 97 GTS will "grow a set" and pull his garage queen out for a run. If not, I could stop by on my way to Road America and take on the Z06.

Hey "other" Chuck, is the pizza invite still good?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, I was actually going to mention to my Schaumburg friend that he should have his buddy come out for one of those homegrown highway beatdowns I was talking about before. But I was a bit tired after a hard day's work. I'm sorry, you must have forgot what work is like already. My bad. At any rate, bring that #34 heap up here. Just don't talk back to IL State Troopers; they might arrest you.

YES the pizza invite is still good. Heck, I'll even buy!

FikseGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, bone stock Vipers have run 11.7x's.....

if headers and no cats is barely modded, then I guess I would be hardly-barely modded... I have headers (not the most aggressive ones) and cat-back, and I ran a 12 flat...

Brooks

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Bubble boy! Chuck 98 R/T 10 just called you out big guy! You going to bring your snake to the meeting Wed nite or am I going to see that good looking Saturn, or is it a Taurus?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:
don't talk back to IL State Troopers; they might arrest you.

YES the pizza invite is still good. Heck, I'll even buy!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I grew up in IL. Got my license in IL. Got my license suspended in IL. Got thrown in jail in IL.

Let them know I'm coming back.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lil'one,

I strongly suspect you are getting a real big load of smoke. I hope you didn't have any other plans for that $3000 for the next year or two.

I'm sure you are on a list of people that Schaumburg will eventually sell a 2003 (or 2004) Viper to. But The real question is not where you are on their list, but how many Vipers will they get. Being 6th on Schaumburg's list is not going to help much if they only get 2 cars...

My Viper has been VERY solid. I would be glad to take it up to The Grove and run any "barely-modified" vette you want.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Shapiro:

Hey Bubble boy! Chuck 98 R/T 10 just called you out big guy! You going to bring your snake to the meeting Wed nite or am I going to see that good looking Saturn, or is it a Taurus?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, Tom, Tom... It seems that the south side air has a negative impact on you attention span. Or perhaps you were too busy daydreaming about moving up out of the Super Stock class after years of racing. Whatever the case may be, you missed my call out to anybody who cares use the Bubbleboy moniker in reference to me. Lest you forget...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:

Listen buddy-boy just 'cause I don't do 'official' track events doesn't mean I couldn't give you an old-school, cornfed, countryside, high-speed, highway a$$-whoopin'!! Just ask Paolo 'Highway Kill' Castellano or some of my other cornfed cronies! People can call me 'Bubbleboy' all they want but the only bubble that will burst is theirs when I STOMP them!! 0-100, 0-150, 50-???, standing mile; pick your billyclub cuz the beating will feel the same in any case! So you better check yourself before you wreck yourself!!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the proof from Paolo...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paolo Castellano:

With Chuck, however, we went for a little 100+ mile little highway trip later at night. I expected Chuck to be kind of passive and that I would have to push him to really go fast. Boy was I wrong! Chuck is a Fu@*ing animal behind the wheel and can make lightning quick shifts and go all the way. We hit 165+ a couple of times on our private dragstrip of miles and miles of highway ***. Hell, we hit 150+ on some 2-lane road before we even got to the highway...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So Doubting Thomas, with that I've just called YOU out!!

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I raced a Z06 at the drags and beat the Vette by almost a full second and 8 miles an hour in the 1/4 mile. The Z06 I raced was modified how much I don't know. All I know was that the guy was cocky and I shut him up by beating him by 10 car lenghts! I just found out that I am not getting full thottle because of the bracket that holds the throttle cable is not positioned back far enough on the '96 GTS. Hopefully with a new part I can get a few more ponies.

'96 GTS
452rwhp
512rwt

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rode in an 02 Zo6 the other day. Cool heads up display. Ok interior fit & finish. Crappy seats...my John Deere mower has a better seat. Nice ride and nice exhaust sound. The owner is still babying it during break in.

In October we will be taking my 01 ACR and the 02 Zo6 to Summit point and as far as road racing is concerned, we will ONCE AND FOR ALL END THIS DEBATE!!!

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey man, I'd stay away from Schaumburg dodge. When I went to talk to them about dealing on a Viper they not only said that they wouldn't, but they refused to believe that anyone out there (like pretty much all of the dealers on this board) would sell under sticker. Plus, they couldn't order any more or any different color combos. They sell less than 1/month.

If they haven't heard of this board or it's dealers (which they hadn't) then they're not doing their job very well.

Skip 'em and give Bill P a call. He'll set you straight. Plus, if and when the '03s come in he'll be able to get you the best price and the quickest delivery. I firmly believe it and I haven't even bought from him!

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy with the near stock ZO6 running 12.20's is my hero!

In fact, after my third cup of coffee in the morning, I think I'll have his baby...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NY-CT VCA chapter had a little autocross within an autocross; 8 Vipers came with two guests-of-Viper-owners, one of which was a Z06.

Going straight is fun, going around turns may take a little more practice. (I suggest more Viper owners get more of this kind of practice!) Anyway, in my '94 with XGTZs I did OK, beating the Z06 (new owner, new to AX) who came second, the other "guest" in a BMW came in third, and all the other Vipers came later...
http://www.nybmwcca.org/autocross/0728_2001.shtml (see the "V" group)

Top time of the day was a Boxster with a driving school instructor and race tires, second overall best time was me! But the next Viper's time was merely mid-pack when compared to the rest of the 74 cars, so hey guys, whatever you decide to do with these big toys, let's practice, practice, and practice.

And have fun
smile.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Z06 is NOT as fast as the Viper.... they are closer than the 'regular' C5, but not the same.

My friend has a Z06, and he is a VERY good driver (drag racer for many years). He runs consistent 12.4's at about 115mph in the car. If I make a bad run, he can win, but all things being equal, I will smoke him every time.

The best Z06 times you hear about are low 12's.... the really GOOD drivers are getting 12.4's out of the car... the crappy drivers are usually in the 13's.

For comparison, my can ran 11.78 at New England Dragway, and on the same night, my friends Z06 ran a 12.41. At Englishtown, my car ran 11.76, but there were no Z06's there for comparison. My car has smooth tubes, K&N filters and no rear muffler and dynoed at 414RWHP last year.

Tom Shapiro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, Chuck, Chuck. I was just trying to goat you into bringing out your "garage queen" (per Chuck R/T 10) to the meeting. I surely wasn't questioning your night driving skills. As for me, I'll keep my 150 mph+ speeds for the track. See you Wed nite and hopefully at the Midwest Rendezous, Gingerman, and Putnam Park in Sept.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Z06s are "sleds". I have never been beat by a Z06 and have raced many on the track. I just got back from Carlsbad last Sunday where I had a friendly bet with a Z06 (a beer), his best time of the day vs mine. Got him by over 6/10s. I raced them top end and pulled a football field on them. 2002 might be a fraction closer, but not close enough. And, my Viper s virually problem free.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Shapiro:
Chuck, Chuck, Chuck. I was just trying to goat you into bringing out your "garage queen" (per Chuck R/T 10) to the meeting. I surely wasn't questioning your night driving skills. As for me, I'll keep my 150 mph+ speeds for the track. See you Wed nite and hopefully at the Midwest Rendezous, Gingerman, and Putnam Park in Sept.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know, I know. I've just turned to a life of smack for so I can entertain my pal Chuck 98 RT/10, who would otherwise be bored at home between naps. Besides, I think PMUM, Brett and Kid97GTS got banned so SOMEBODY has to pick up the ball and run with it!
laugh.gif

See you tomorrow WITH the Viper; weather permitting. ;)

George Farris

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Jamie Furman is one of the better drag racers on this board. He had a Viper and a Z06 at the same time. Took both to the track. The Viper was consistantly 0.5 seconds faster than the Z06 - both showroom stock.

That's all we need to know - now on to the next topic!!!

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by c5hardtop:
Powershifter on the corvetteforum will really be your hero, he ran a 12.003 virtually stock (K&N replacment filter in stock box and Thermostat). Even most regular C5 owners with just a Cold Air Intake Filter are usually 12.6-12.7 (like C5 Frank above) so you would thing most Z06 with CAI would be very low 12s.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, bully bully for him. And just to show you and him there are no hard feelings, I'll be sure and have his baby tomorrow morning!

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know, I know. I've just turned to a life of smack for so I can entertain my pal Chuck 98 RT/10, who would otherwise be bored at home between naps. Besides, I think PMUM, Brett and Kid97GTS got banned so SOMEBODY has to pick up the ball and run with it!
laugh.gif

See you tomorrow WITH the Viper; weather permitting. ;)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuck, your little "Highway Kill" reset was NIIIIIIICE. Too bad I missed it in its original form. Looks like at least one of the cornfed crowd is stepping up. As far as yet another banning for the Usual Suspects, I think the m.o. has been switched to just deleting a thread once we pile on - oh well, once I get my posting privileges back at the Vette Forum, watch out baby!!!!

BTW, Bungleberry glad to see you are representing the Viper Nation as only you can with your MENSA-like posts. Rock on, Tex.

HogWhisperer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kid97GTS:
BTW, Bungleberry glad to see you are representing the Viper Nation as only you can with your MENSA-like posts. Rock on, Tex.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you enjoyed it punKid. I think I'll name the next one after you.
biggrin.gif