Any 3rd Gens running 4th Gen Exhaust Muffler/Resonators?

jeeplaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First time owner of a 2005 3rd gen trying to make his ride a little more reasonable in terms of sound :) From what I can tell, it has longtube headers (no idea the brand, they're coated gray though) and has the cat delete and what appears to be straight pipes back to an exhaust tip. As you can imagine, it's loud as hell. I also suspect the car has a mild cam in it too.

So I'm braining storming and researching ideas on how to quiet this thing down, a little, and my first thought was to get high flow cats in there to get rid of the exhaust smell. Second thought was to put something like Vibrants Ultraquiet series in line with the stock pipe https://vibrantperformance.com/ultra-quiet-resonators-v1249/

and then third, look at getting some sort of muffler put on. I've heard people talking about putting 4th gen resonators on a 3rd gen - does it sound good? Is it advisable? Thanks

OP
OP
J

jeeplaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that with headers too? How much sound reduction is there, can you talk to someone easily in cabin just cruising?

99RT10GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The G4/5 exhaust is WAY better than the OEM G3. It *****!!!

I have both for sale $900

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Any idea where your cam came from? My original exhaust setup was a Borla cat back that I really liked. Deeper muscle car sound and good roar when you laid into it. Swapped to long tube M&M headers and got rid of the cats, but kept the Borlas after that and it got a "buzzier" sound too it. Slightly more exotic kind of exhaust note, but still pretty deep. Put a Viper Specialty cam in it during a rebuild and it's been a monster to quiet down since then. Picked up nearly 100 hp over stock though, so I guess kind of understandable. I will say it did not like cats with that cam. Tried to put a set on it to tone down the exhaust and they got so hot one day my interior started getting hazy while running around doing errands. Latest setup is the Mopar 3" race exhaust as I was hoping a larger diameter pipe might slow the flow down a bit and make it less pulse-y. Still super deep exhaust note as they are effectively the same construction as the Borlas I had, just longer and larger. Can't fit cats on them with headers though as they are too long for them. 6th gear at 70 on the highway is tough to hear the radio, let alone have a conversation without speaking loudly. However, drop it into 5th and it almost gets quiet, so it's kind of weird. Around town it's loud for sure, but not horrible to talk to someone. It's more just that low rpm lugging on the highway where the noise seems to really amplify.

OP
OP
J

jeeplaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any idea where your cam came from? My original exhaust setup was a Borla cat back that I really liked. Deeper muscle car sound and good roar when you laid into it. Swapped to long tube M&M headers and got rid of the cats, but kept the Borlas after that and it got a "buzzier" sound too it. Slightly more exotic kind of exhaust note, but still pretty deep. Put a Viper Specialty cam in it during a rebuild and it's been a monster to quiet down since then. Picked up nearly 100 hp over stock though, so I guess kind of understandable. I will say it did not like cats with that cam. Tried to put a set on it to tone down the exhaust and they got so hot one day my interior started getting hazy while running around doing errands. Latest setup is the Mopar 3" race exhaust as I was hoping a larger diameter pipe might slow the flow down a bit and make it less pulse-y. Still super deep exhaust note as they are effectively the same construction as the Borlas I had, just longer and larger. Can't fit cats on them with headers though as they are too long for them. 6th gear at 70 on the highway is tough to hear the radio, let alone have a conversation without speaking loudly. However, drop it into 5th and it almost gets quiet, so it's kind of weird. Around town it's loud for sure, but not horrible to talk to someone. It's more just that low rpm lugging on the highway where the noise seems to really amplify.
Great question, have no idea. This car is a literal mystery to me. It's funny, I've had people tell me that the exhaust sounds like the Mopar Race exhaust with no cats and header. I've also had people tell me there's no cam, others tell me there is. From my ear, it sounds like a mild bumpystick in there, but until I get it on the dyno, it'll be guesswork.

Here's a current cold start - notice how the exhaust seems to be chopping to get going. I come from the world of Hemi's so this V10 is a new learning chapter for me, but my gut says there's something in there.

Did you put high flow cats back in or your stockers when it started getting hot again? I need to find a way to get some high flows on my system and start figuring out how to control some semblance of sound volume.

Zishan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got a paxton blower, Kooks headers, 3 inch pipes, no cats, and Corsa mufflers...so maybe similar to your set up. Sometimes my car sounds/feels like it might have a small cam, but I highly doubt it. I just think aggressive exhaust set ups have that effect on Vipers and makes the factory cam sound slightly more...

Btw, my car is loud. Like insanely loud.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Great question, have no idea. This car is a literal mystery to me. It's funny, I've had people tell me that the exhaust sounds like the Mopar Race exhaust with no cats and header. I've also had people tell me there's no cam, others tell me there is. From my ear, it sounds like a mild bumpystick in there, but until I get it on the dyno, it'll be guesswork.

Here's a current cold start - notice how the exhaust seems to be chopping to get going. I come from the world of Hemi's so this V10 is a new learning chapter for me, but my gut says there's something in there.

Did you put high flow cats back in or your stockers when it started getting hot again? I need to find a way to get some high flows on my system and start figuring out how to control some semblance of sound volume.

Hmm, I agree, kind of hard to tell. I think it's likely more just aftermarket exhaust kind of noise that accentuates the stock sound compared to a cam, but a dyno would likely tell a better story.

At the moment I'm running no cats (Kansas), but also because there's just no room to put them in anywhere. When I first did the cam swap I used the original stock secondary cats and just cut the front side and welded on new reducers to make them 3" inlet, 2.5" outlet to work with the Borla exhaust I already had. My original plan was actually to make them 3"inlet and 3" outlet and use them with the Mopar race mufflers, but the race mufflers are as long as the original mufflers with the secondary cats included, so couldn't make that work. Most people agreed the stock secondary cats are basically as good if not better than aftermarket high flows, but my car really didn't like that. I think the cam design has a little more overlap which just dumps enough extra fuel in the exhaust to really get cats hot. If I got rid of the long tubes I could maybe squeeze the primary cats back in right off the manifolds and still have room for the race exhaust, but it would be a bit of a size mismatch.

I never have actually tried running stock mufflers though. I do wonder if they would be the quietest option, though at the cost of going back to 2.5" pipe size. I think the problem I had with the 2.5" setup was the flow velocity was super high and you really heard each pulse out of the tips. The 3" exhaust slows things down a little bit and evens it out so it's not as much of a "thump thump thump" kind of noise. Still louder than I'd like, but it does sound good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala