Any drawbacks on buying '03 Viper with just 7 miles?

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any drawbacks on buying \'03 Viper with just 7 miles?

Have given some thought to buying the above car. Mechanically speaking, what are the drawbacks of buying a car that has sat undriven for so long? Was also curious if the tires would essentially flat spot. Would be safe to assume that a test drive is not an option with a car in this state that is still in factory plastic. I would plan to drive the car regularly and not continue its life as a "garage queen". In fact, a Paxton would be in its future potentially.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Any drawbacks on buying \'03 Viper with just 7 miles?

Had the experience of discussing this as it related to the purchase of an 02 RT with very low miles miles at a dealer with two Viper techs on Sat. This was a VCA session and the car was not being purchased there. See all of WANTED's posts for that particular car sale. The techs seemed to think that as long as all fluids were changed before driving and the gas had storage additive no real problem, otherwise drain the gas out. All rubber hose etc should still be good. Being stored in a climate controlled environment would make it almost a completely worry free deal. Had some good advice about flat spotted tires, pump them up to 20psi or so over, drive around for 10 miles drop the pressure to 10 over drive a little more and then normalize the pressure, works the flat spots out.

sween

Enthusiast
Reaction score

if you get it dont drive it!! save it for an investment it will be wroth big bucks :cool:

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

think i can help on this one. lee pretty much said it all. my car was delivered
last night and i have only had a chance to put about 15 miles on it. the car had
899 miles on it since dec 31, 2001. it has not been driven in 3 years except for
starting it and moved out of the garage then backed back in. the car drove perfect.
i am taking it to the dealer to get all fluids changed and have the car totally
looked over. i will repost in here as soon as they do it, should be wed or thur.

remember its all covered under warranty and i feel you will have no problems at
all. one thing on the 03, CHECK THE PAINT UNDER GOOD LIGHTING PRYOR TO PURCHASED.
also it has 2 recalls (1)reprogram lights, they will flicker on and off (2)fan
module, my dealer went and replaced the entire fan with module when they did
mine.

good luck, tom

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

think i can help on this one. lee pretty much said it all. my car was delivered
last night and i have only had a chance to put about 15 miles on it. the car had
899 miles on it since dec 31, 2001. it has not been driven in 3 years except for
starting it and moved out of the garage then backed back in. the car drove perfect.
i am taking it to the dealer to get all fluids changed and have the car totally
looked over. i will repost in here as soon as they do it, should be wed or thur.

remember its all covered under warranty and i feel you will have no problems at
all. one thing on the 03, CHECK THE PAINT UNDER GOOD LIGHTING PRYOR TO PURCHASED.
also it has 2 recalls (1)reprogram lights, they will flicker on and off (2)fan
module, my dealer went and replaced the entire fan with module when they did
mine.

good luck, tom

Don't I also seem to remember an issue with heads and much lower horsepower as a recall? But again it's all under warranty anyway.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I bought my 3003 srt-10 leftover last september. It had 7 miles on it. I have had zero problems nor have I found anything that needed attention when we were using it as a test mule for developing our product line.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Lee says
Don't I also seem to remember an issue with heads and much lower horsepower as a recall?

The 'bog' was a TSB not a recall. There could be cars out there with the bog problem that haven't been reflashed, the owner had to complain before the dealer would do the TSB. The reflash gave the car much better throttle response and from a seat of the pants feel, it seemed to gain horsepower. I would suggest anyone buying a 'new' '03 have it done.

The heads had to be removed to do the valve recall, that's all I remember about it. All those should have been fixed, but you never know.

RSI Unlimited

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would change or even flush all fluids, other than that you should not have any problems. If the car has been started numerous times you can bet the oil is fuel washed, odds are the car has spent it's life being started & shut off many times. change that oil!!! :2tu:

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score

if you get it dont drive it!! save it for an investment it will be wroth big bucks :cool:

I really wonder if that is true--unless the above post was said in jest :2tu: I say get it, if the price is right.