Any idea on labor cost for....

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having SRT-10 track exhaust and Random techs put in my 97GTS for a side exhaust conversion. I realize they'll have to fab a hanger for the exhaust too, I already have my Gen I sidesills on the car...

I called my Viper tech and he said he'll have to look at it first. Any ballpark numbers out there? I don't trust Midas, etc to measure/ weld the exhaust right so it matches up with the sidesill hole properly.

:usa:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having just spent 3 months modding, which the majority of that was converting to side exhaust, I'll make a couple of expert comments.

1. Even with the best welding and heat control you can imagine, between fitting and welding it will move some.

2. Mine took some set after a month or so. Could have been the new Woodhouse motor mounts finding a new home, or the FRP Autoform sills settling, but I had to re-adjust the pipe to hole location. Fortunately, my system has that adjustability.

You asked a question with few details provided, like what all the connections from part A to Part B will be, and what you care it looks like buried under the sills. I bet I spent between 10 to 20 hours fitting and welding what I think you're describing. And it all looks pretty close to like what NASA would approve of.

Here's some pics of my handiwork. They've been posted before, so if you've seen them, then pardon...

You must be registered for see images

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice work, Dave. On my '94 I went from a 3" side pipe system to a stock Gen 2 rear exhaust (minus rear muffler.)

I am sure by now you have added a chrome (or white?) dashboard receptacle to hold the sanitary disposable earplugs. :+: Got any pics of that?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That does look great, but instead of helping a fellow member with a question, we're all now posting about admiring another guys work... nice

Sorry I had a bad day:cool:

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I modded mine so it didn't point so much down when exhaust exits pipe. Made mine come straight out the sides. You will not believe how much crap gets blown around with the exhaust pointing down like that. Like idleing through a dirty parking lot and blowing crap all over every other car in there.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having SRT-10 track exhaust and Random techs put in my 97GTS for a side exhaust conversion. I realize they'll have to fab a hanger for the exhaust too, I already have my Gen I sidesills on the car...

I called my Viper tech and he said he'll have to look at it first. Any ballpark numbers out there? I don't trust Midas, etc to measure/ weld the exhaust right so it matches up with the sidesill hole properly.

:usa:

Shouldn't be more than a few hundred. Any more than that and yer gettin' *****.:D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That does look great, but instead of helping a fellow member with a question, we're all now posting about admiring another guys work... nice

Sorry I had a bad day:cool:

Shouldn't be more than a few hundred. Any more than that and yer gettin' *****.:D

You are correct that this thread has gotten off track a tad. But I do think the pics I posted did have relevance to the thread and my comments above them. The comments are just collateral damage, and to be expected.

In regards to the few hundred dollars estimate, that could possibly be the case. Depends on many things, and the original question was somewhat vague as to the exact starting point. Not completely, but there could be some more details.

You may be able to find someone who will commit to just a few hours per side of work. At a shop rate of $75 that's $300. I wouldn't put the sill covers back on tight until you've inspected and approved of their work.

Lastly, one thing you may have going for your project is the size of the hole in the Gen 1 sill. The Autoform sills that I used coupled with the SS tips that Belanger supplied left very little clearance. They had to be dead nuts on. If the OE sill has a bigger opening then that would make it mucho easier.

OP
OP
B

Bluvenm97

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the posts guys, sorry I was kind of grouchy that day :mad:

I dropped it off at the Viper Tech today, soo..I'll let you know what the damage ends up being:usa: