Any Ideas...The Dealership totalled My SRT10 Today

YellowViperSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG, i would be going crazy. I know you must be upset, but you sound calm compared to how i would react in a situation like this. Although there was nothing you were able to do to prevent this, its painful to see those pics.

OP
OP
R

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OMG, i would be going crazy. I know you must be upset, but you sound calm compared to how i would react in a situation like this. Although there was nothing you were able to do to prevent this, its painful to see those pics.

Heheh.

Yeah, my business is pretty hectic and forced me to confront at least 10 emotions in about an hour. Fortunately for the ***** driving, acceptance is one of the last ones...

:crazy:

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel bad for you, as we all do. I could have been worse, say if the mech had hit someone with your car.
Good luck with this, and if nothing else, at least you wont have a lease pmt in December!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way in hell should gap insurance come into effect here. Gap insurance is negative equity protection and if roadtrip's end of buyout figure is correct (52k) then their is no way he is upside down in this lease. A 2004 vert with 10k is easily worth mid 60's (even though we all know new cars and new left over '05's are being given away). He has to be 10k to the positive for insurance HAS to pay retail...

Hate to tell you this but a used 04 Convertible with 10k miles is NOT worth mid 60's. That is what brand new 05's are going for. And his buyout number at the end of his lease of 52k is not valid if his lease is not over, which it's not until April which means assuming he's paid November he owes Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar and April payments on TOP of the 52k buyout, my guess is that's at least another 4-5k. So maybe the lease balance is at 56-57 right now. AND THE CAR IS WORTH MAYBE 25K AS A SALVAGE VEHICLE, STILL THINK GAP INSURANCE DOES NOT FACTOR IN? He is responsible for the total original capitalized cost of the vehicle and it's now worth salvage value. THAT'S why gap insurance comes into play when you wreck a leased vehicle. It has to do with the salvage value of a wrecked vehicle vs. the cap cost of the lease, NOT whether he is upside down as the blue book value in the lease. The car ain't worth peanuts now and he's still responsible for ALL the original lease payments...gap insurance, have it on a lease or be very sorry when it's wrecked. You will still owe.

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also like Bill's suggestion re: no test drives without authorization. Optimally, I would request that, if a test drive is necessary, they call me to let me know when they will do it so that I can be there. Then, let the tech know you're going to follow in your own car. That ought to keep them honest.

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That *****. Everyone should remember to state on the work sheet that NO test drives are allowed without the owner being present.

I see you are in IL. Which dealership is this? Please share for others to be warned.

Hope it works out well for you.

I am bringing my car in for PA registrastion and emissions. I am pretty sure thye need to drive it for the registration. Can I require this?

(this is the first time I am bringing my baby to a dealership and am concerned that some idiot could take her for a joy ride.)

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
everytime i read this post i thank my lucky stars i am so close to Roanoke Motors. anyone else near one of our great dealer sponsors should feel the same way. :2tu:

murci

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****. Everyone should remember to state on the work sheet that NO test drives are allowed without the owner being present.

I see you are in IL. Which dealership is this? Please share for others to be warned.

Hope it works out well for you.

I am bringing my car in for PA registrastion and emissions. I am pretty sure thye need to drive it for the registration. Can I require this?

(this is the first time I am bringing my baby to a dealership and am concerned that some idiot could take her for a joy ride.)

I recently got my registration/emissions done in TX. Yes, they briefly drove the car, but mainly for testing the brakes. I made sure I was sitting in the car for the test drive. It was done at a Jiffy Lube. The guy was actually quite professional throughout the entire procedure.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone thinks telling a shop they are not authorized to drive your car has ANY impact on a mechanic taking it out for a joy ride, think again.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone thinks telling a shop they are not authorized to drive your car has ANY impact on a mechanic taking it out for a joy ride, think again.

Exactly. Unfortunately if you tell them, they are probably more likely to do it.

compcoupe21

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way in hell should gap insurance come into effect here. Gap insurance is negative equity protection and if roadtrip's end of buyout figure is correct (52k) then their is no way he is upside down in this lease. A 2004 vert with 10k is easily worth mid 60's (even though we all know new cars and new left over '05's are being given away). He has to be 10k to the positive for insurance HAS to pay retail...

Hate to tell you this but a used 04 Convertible with 10k miles is NOT worth mid 60's. That is what brand new 05's are going for. And his buyout number at the end of his lease of 52k is not valid if his lease is not over, which it's not until April which means assuming he's paid November he owes Dec, Jan, Feb, Mar and April payments on TOP of the 52k buyout, my guess is that's at least another 4-5k. So maybe the lease balance is at 56-57 right now. AND THE CAR IS WORTH MAYBE 25K AS A SALVAGE VEHICLE, STILL THINK GAP INSURANCE DOES NOT FACTOR IN? He is responsible for the total original capitalized cost of the vehicle and it's now worth salvage value. THAT'S why gap insurance comes into play when you wreck a leased vehicle. It has to do with the salvage value of a wrecked vehicle vs. the cap cost of the lease, NOT whether he is upside down as the blue book value in the lease. The car ain't worth peanuts now and he's still responsible for ALL the original lease payments...gap insurance, have it on a lease or be very sorry when it's wrecked. You will still owe.

I don't want to get into a debate with you but you couldn't be more wrong. If you read my explanation you would have saw that I accounted for his current payoff to be around 55k including whatever principal is left from now until April. My assumption is that the car is totaled therefore insurance has to pay DMC the payoff (roughlyt 55) and the equity goes to the lessee. FYI a 2004 vert with 10k books out retail mid 60's, what you can buy one for doesn't mean squat. I'm not trying to be a know it all because I'm not but I'm in the business and this is how it should play out. Insurance has to pay retail, case closed. Check kbb.com or edmunds.com, you'll get the picture. :bonker:

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This thread should be mandatory reading for all Dodge dealership owners, their service managers and anybody who touches, drives and/or works on Vipers, employed at these dealerships.

Sadly, this happens way too often.

My suggestion: if you bring your Viper in for an oil change or a small maintenance or repair item, make an appt with the service manager himself, tell him that you will be waiting for the car and ask him to test drive the car himself or at least be a passenger in your car during any test drive, if test drive is indeed needed (the subject of this thread did not need a test drive at all; this became an ill-fated joyride). Also tell the service manager what time you will be arriving (please be on time), ask him to schedule his Viper Certified technician for you at this given time, let him know that your time is precious, but so is your Viper, and this is why you will be waiting for the car on site, until work is completed.

I fully understand that this is an inconvenience for the Viper owner, however it beats the alternative described in this thread.

Bring your laptop with you, spend an hour or two in the waiting lounge (some of them even have small business centers with internet access, coffee and goodies).

Let me repeat: bring a copy of this thread and/or any similar ones with you and explain your concern to the service manager, as this occurrence repeats itself all too often.

This reminds me of the valet parking jockey who totaled a Ferrari while on duty at a very upscale resort in Southern California (Laguna Beach, if memory serves me right)!

Although I am very upset at his moment after reading this horrible story, I will refrain from using inappropriate language to describe the offending driver (and others of this ilk) who totaled this car.

We Viper owners spend substantial amounts of time and money at driving events and driving schools in order to know the limits of our magnificent machines and then safely apply this knowledge to our street driving. Too bad that some unqualified, near-minimum wage nebbish will think he is Mario Andretti for a few glorious short moments, only to end in tragedy.

Just my $0.02

--------------------------------------

2005 Silver SRT-10, wonderful platform for future modifications; more to come soon!

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luckily the Viper tech I go to is also a Viper owner, and a member of the local Viper club. I trust him more than anyone else, and if I have a big problem with the car I only take it to him (and drive past 2 other dealerships to do it). If I have a question about small stuff, I know I can call him anytime on his cell for advice.

This is a dealership I would NEVER go to again, and you cannot tell me the service manager doesn't know this goes on. There is NO excuse for it, and they should be bending over backwards to kiss your a$$.

As far as the 2 guys that took the BMW to get their lunch and neither of them was your mechanic...WOOOOOO, I'd have been PI$$ED! I feel that's even worse than the idiot that rolled the car, because at least he turned a wrench on it.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I second that - luckily Chuck is close enough to work on my car.

Sorry to hear about you loss. Good luck.

cbarber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
everytime i read this post i thank my lucky stars i am so close to Roanoke Motors. anyone else near one of our great dealer sponsors should feel the same way. :2tu:
After my initial shock, nausea, anger after seeing the pics and reading the post I thought the same as you John. If my car requires service or repair only Roanoke will touch it !
CB :mad:

NoRice

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks like he saved you some money if you had planned on buying it out at the end of the lease, as there is no way you would want to pay $52k for a 04. There are way to many deals out there that are much better than this. You can get a new 06 for $65k or less, and come Jan. when they announce the updated Viper, I bet you will even get a little better deal than what is currently out there. Others may argue, but the only advatage you had buying that vehicle out is you were the only owner I assume, so you knew its history vs. purchasing another 04/05 for the same price or less.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vypr Phil

Good advice but the one thing I would take issue with is that the typical service manager is the LAST person I would want taking any test drive. If you have a good Viper tech, he and only he should be taking the test drive. I have had the same Viper tech for 12 years for 3 Vipers and I would trust him with any car. And, many on this board have the same experience. I also agree to always wait on the car.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope things work out for you! You've come to the right place for help and advise. Similar thing happened to me althought not near the damage. Great people here always willing to help. I hope you get a great replacement!

Vypr Phil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperdrummer,

Thanks for your comment. You assume that all dealers have Viper Certified Techs. I am not sure this is the case. Even if they are Viper Certified, is part of their training learning the dynamic limits of the car? Do they spend time on the track with Vipers like you and I? I doubt it.
The main reason I suggested the service mgr to drive the car is that he holds a higher level of responsibility within the organization and would end up with even more egg on his face than a Tech if he wrecked or worse yet, totaled the car. Hopefully he would be more respectful of our automobile, as well. Hope however is the operative word here. We are very blessed in the Socal area to have a super-competent, honest independent shop, DC Performance (http://www.dcperformanceinc.com/) who specializes in Vipers and is certified by the factory for warranty work. Truly the best of both worlds. I am very happy for you and other Viper owners in your neighborhood that you have such a dedicated Viper tech at your local dealer. Happy Vipering!!!

--------------------------------------

2005 Silver SRT-10, wonderful platform for future modifications; more to come soon!

OP
OP
R

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the Dealer's Insurance Company called today and officially listed it as a total loss.

But the; Trapped in the 80's valley girl, insurance rep for the dealer that called, said (and I am serious in quoting) "Like... Yah know... yur car is totallllled".

I was like... "yah i knoooooow, I saw it in person".

Anyway, without trying to replicate some bad high school "Valley girl movie", she more or less told me that the appraisal company wouldn't get back until Monday, so I am still in the dark as to the value.

I'll keep you posted.

Mike

OP
OP
R

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to add that the dealer (in seven days) has only called me once... The day it was wrecked.

In fact, the day it happened I had to work (go figure) and was lucky to even be heading over at 6pm.

The Manager and service writer were planning on leaving at 6pm (at the end of their shift) and mentioned that I could see it in the back lot (yes not indoors).

I pointed out how it would be nice to stick around until I got there... Something I should have never needed to do, what a sacrifice after crashing my $85k car, huh?

Yah know, these guys make me feel sick and like an idiot...

Owning as many Chrysler (3 now, 5 over the years) products as I do, I would hope a person or dealer of substance exists.

I will post the Dealership name after all is said and done.

lankhoss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any chance you can turn the shop into the Better Business Bureau?

That's a terrible situation for you to be in, I'm so sorry about that.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Total retail value, plus sales tax and registration is what you should receive.
I just went thru this with one of my kids cars.
Pay off the lease and find another car.
Call our main man Bill P. he'll get you back on the road.
Good luck.
Dan

OP
OP
R

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, My buyout which included my last four payments would be $56,952 (less sales tax & document fees).

The Insurance company called this morning and said they would payout $58,775 directly to DC. They don't have to pay sales tax etc due to it being a salvage.

I will pocket $1875 plus my original security deposit, once all is said and done. I'm not exactly upset about this. I don't have to make 4 more payments, I wouldn't have driven it to much this winter and I wont have to replace the tires in the spring, due to a last mad romp.

Thanks for all your support!!! This board is great. I will keep you posted if there are any new developments. I still have my '93 which will hold me over until the '08 comes out in June.

Thanks Again!!!

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fascinating thread. GREAT to see that at least you wound up with SOMETHING for all your trouble!

After it's all settled (meaning you have actually collected your funds) you might want to report the dealer to DC just for the fun of it. I'm sure the VCA officers could help with some "weight".

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RoadTrip-wow just read through this thread and your progress in settling everything! I gotta hand it to you, you really sound like you've held your cool, I don't know that I would have been able to do that!

I am glad to hear things worked out, sounds like you just might be able to get into an '08 huh?

Best to you-Leslie