Any Ideas...The Dealership totalled My SRT10 Today

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took my Viper in to have an oil change and replace the battery. I got a call a few hours later... The Tech took it for a test drive and rolled it three times (he's fine thankfully) but it totalled my car. They shouldn't have test drove it (in my eyes).

Here's the big question. It was a lease that I was planning on buying out in April. What do you think will or should happen? This is new ground for me and I really don't know what I should expect?

:hitfan:

Austin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theres a story like this just about every month. Dealers shouldnt allow ANYONE to drive your car unless you know about it and ONLY if its necessary.

1DumpedViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be on the phone with a lawyer yesterday. It wouldnt suprise me if the dealer tries to screw you. Just my 2cents. Good luck. :usa:

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be on the phone with a lawyer yesterday. It wouldnt suprise me if the dealer tries to screw you. Just my 2cents. Good luck. :usa:

Very well put. You can never be too safe. Get in contact with the dealer and ask what they plan on doing for you and also speak with an attorney. Good luck and let us know how it pans out.

OP
OP
R

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a little overwhelmed. If there is a dealer or DMC employee here that knows what should happen and is willing to share it with me, I'd really appreciate it.

I have pics but no way to post them.

Thanks,

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have pictures, send them to me and I will post them for you:

[email protected]

As for a good person to call. It has been said that John B knows a lot about this and I would assume Chuck Tator would know a little as well but try John B first.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a little overwhelmed. If there is a dealer or DMC employee here that knows what should happen and is willing to share it with me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

If you have them uploaded, you can send them to me and I'll post them.
[email protected]

..Well, Keith beat me by a minute, you can send them to either of us and we'll get you set up!

04mystic

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oilchange and battery install does not require a testdrive. Thats a bad situation, sorry your having to go through it.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****. Everyone should remember to state on the work sheet that NO test drives are allowed without the owner being present.

I see you are in IL. Which dealership is this? Please share for others to be warned.

Hope it works out well for you.

OP
OP
R

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,

[email protected]

..Well, Keith beat me by a minute, you can send them to either of us and we'll get you set up!

I sent them to you Josh (I didn't see Kieths message until after I sent them).

Thanks Guys,

Mike

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here you go. Sorry about your loss, these look really bad.

badviper1.jpg

badviper2.jpg

badviper3.jpg

badviper4.jpg

badviper5.jpg

badviper6.jpg

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I am going to be sick. They were getting on it hard for that much damage.

Oh yeah, they just bought you a new V.

One more person we're supporting on unemployment.

SRT10Mike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did they at least give it a free car wash after the "oil change"?

Seriously, I am sickened by this. Consult an attorney ASAP and make no statements to the Dealer. Document everything they say to you.

FWIW, my car was at a dealer here in the Bay Area and they called me and asked for permission every time they needed to road test it. The Service Manager assured me he would be present on every test drive.

I hope it all turns out in your best interest.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see one potential problem, since it was a lease the loss payee on your insurance would be whatever financial institution holds the lease. That really ***** because you were planning to buy the car at the end of the lease, now all the money you put into the lease is of no value toward the purchase of the car.

OP
OP
R

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see one potential problem, since it was a lease the loss payee on your insurance would be whatever financial institution holds the lease. That really ***** because you were planning to buy the car at the end of the lease, now all the money you put into the lease is of no value toward the purchase of the car.

Oh I hope this isn't the case... DMC is the lease holder. The car had 10,969 miles on it and my buyout was $52k... Arghh $#!@$#@#$@ !!!

OP
OP
R

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How in the world did he do that, hit a curb or median and flipped?

He told the police that he was going between 45 and 50 mph and mis-shifted from 5th into 3rd (instead of 6th)... Thus spinning the car out and over the embankment.

This what I heard from the cops. So not sure if it's true or not.

TBarrow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, They need to replace the car for the same terms as you had. Do not forget that if it was an 03 it had the 7/70 warranty that they need to throw in as well.

It will probably not be a short road you will have to travel.

This is one car of mine that I do not leave the with anyone or leave them unattended. I set My Porsche keys down at my parents house to later find my car missing with my brother driving. Nothing happened but I do not leave Viper keys down for sure.

OP
OP
R

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That *****. Everyone should remember to state on the work sheet that NO test drives are allowed without the owner being present.

I see you are in IL. Which dealership is this? Please share for others to be warned.

Hope it works out well for you.

Before I thrash these guys I want to see what they are planning on offering me. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

OP
OP
R

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, They need to replace the car for the same terms as you had. Do not forget that if it was an 03 it had the 7/70 warranty that they need to throw in as well.

It will probably not be a short road you will have to travel....

Yeah it was an '04 and still hasn't sunken in. Thankfully a road less traveled.

OP
OP
R

Roadtrip

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since when is 3rd on the same path as 6th, out of 5th?

The cops should have pushed him a little harder on that.

Worse yet... The guy was 6 miles into a test drive and he was stil heading away from the dealer when it wrecked... Was he running an errand??? Who ever heard of a 12 mile test drive? :curse:

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How in the world did he do that, hit a curb or median and flipped?

He told the police that he was going between 45 and 50 mph and mis-shifted from 5th into 3rd (instead of 6th)... Thus spinning the car out and over the embankment.

This what I heard from the cops. So not sure if it's true or not.

Nonsense, your car be in 2nd gear at 50mph, higher gears will be pretty tame as the rpms will be low, no way they would upset the car enough to bring the back around (even if you they were turning/drive around a curve).

More like he was doing 100+mph and hit 2nd instead of 4th gear, that would bring the back around (if you were doing anything but driving in a straight line) and if you didn't catch it, damage the motor too.

-J

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score

If that's the reason in the report filed, it is very clear that he is lying. Mis-shift to 4th would make sense, but how can he mis-shift into 3rd from 5th?

Grunt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Worse yet... The guy was 6 miles into a test drive and he was stil heading away from the dealer when it wrecked... Was he running an errand??? Who ever heard of a 12 mile test drive? :curse:

:curse: :evilmad: The nerve of some people.

To make you feel better. Two friends of mine went to a Hummer dealership to look at H1's. The salesman wouldn't let them test drive it, so he took them out.

He looked at them a said you can't roll these things watch.

Well he rolled it. One friend suffered enough injuries that he lost his his ability to carry on in his current occupation. The other faired out better.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks,

[email protected]

I sent them to you Josh (I didn't see Kieths message until after I sent them).

Thanks Guys,

Mike

Have something against me personally? :nono:

Just kidding. That dealer did a number to your car. I did not imagine it was that bad. Please let us know what happens when you find out. I am eager to see what the dealer is going to offer.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:curse: :evilmad: The nerve of some people.

To make you feel better. Two friends of mine went to a Hummer dealership to look at H1's. The salesman wouldn't let them test drive it, so he took them out.

He looked at them a said you can't roll these things watch.

Well he rolled it. One friend suffered enough injuries that he lost his his ability to carry on in his current occupation. The other faired out better.

Wow. Talk about a lawsuit. That is very sad to hear.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another beautiful car destroyed by another dumba$$!!!! Good luck.. nail this idiot. You deserve a brand new Viper and should only have to pay the 50 grand buyout plus they should pay you another $10 grand for your trouble. :(

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First, read this thread.

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=762526&an=0&page=1#Post762526

Second, first thing you do in the morning is you call JonB at Parts Rack, link is in the banners at the top of every page. He has helped more guys with this situation than you can believe. He will give you values, explain diminished value and how you pick your choice of totaling or repairing. He will be able to help with the lease buyout issue also. And he may be a buyer for the car as salvage which may establish price. His advice will clarify everthing for you, I just had a total in April and he really pointed the way for me.

Third, DON"T go talk to these idiots before you lawyer up. That guy was on a looong not needed joy ride, you have them dead to rights, that car is totalled believe me and you just got burned with all the money you lost on the lease.

Fourth, get to the accident scene with a good camera. No way was he going that slow and the skid marks are going to prove it. Get pictures and good luck but DO NOT be naive enough to think the dealer is going to do something for you. They already figured out what happened and and are plotting how to get out of it as we write.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte