Any Navy guys that can help with this?

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being in the VA/MD Club...I know a lot of you guys are former-Navy (and even some pilots) here. One of our Viper-bretheren from overseas asked me for some help on a Navy-related issue, but I have no clue how to help, so I figured I'd put it out here for some of you who may have some info. Here goes:

Any thoughts on getting a particular aircraft, one of the F-14 Tomcats that shot down 2 Lybian Migs (Bureau Number 159437), out of the Arizona boneyard before it is scrapped just like the rest of her sisters.

On this forum (need to register first) you will find the ongoing discussion and a topic regarding the preservation of the JFK Aircraft Carriere:

Login

It would be great if this important piece of history can be preserved.

I agree with him, this is a piece of history, but not sure what can be done. Post up any info that may be helpful, please.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, I am not a guy but I am an ex Navy girl:D

..was stationed at an F-14 squadron (VF-124 Tomcats) and I am on their chat forum.

I will send you a link to the web site in a pm, you might want to post there and they will help you out.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Charlie, remember that those guys already have a topic going and that I was merely trying to solicit additional help over here ;)
According to Mike there are a couple of ex-Navy pilots in this particular VCA region so I'm hoping that we can set up a movement to preserve this piece of history.

Hey, I am not a guy but I am an ex Navy girl:D

..was stationed at an F-14 squadron (VF-124 Tomcats) and I am on their chat forum.

I will send you a link to the web site in a pm, you might want to post there and they will help you out.

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I'm not in the military, I am an avid aviation enthusiast. I’d love to get involved with something like this…

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spent 25 years working on the Tomcat. All of it Civil Service in Norfolk and Oceana. First as an Engine Mechanic, then as an electrician, and finally (as the civil service calls their hydraulic and airframe jobs) an Aircraft Mechanic. If it could be torn down, rebuilt, reinstalled, rigged , wired, tested, etc, I had my hands all over this girl! I loved every minute of it and was heartbroken to see it go. I tried transferring to the Hornets, but the only work we had was in the fuel cells and that is just not enjoyable. So, I transfered and now rebuild the MH-65's for the Coast Guard.
There is no way you can take a Tomcat overseas because the Gov. in Iran is still flying the Tomcat and will do anything to get parts. In case you don't know, the best source for anything F-14 related is
HOME OF M.A.T.S. - The most comprehensive Grumman F-14 Reference Work - by Torsten Anft! on this site you can see where every Tomcat ever built is now and what happened to her. whether she has crashed, or has been scrapped, or is in the mothball fleet. You can look at photos of all the squadrons and even look at inside and walk around pics.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wasn't looking to take her overseas, WAS looking to find a way to preserve this particular Tomcat before government paranoia with the Iran situation strikes and sends the last remaining ones to the eternal dogfight arenas.
I just don't want to give in to the "let it be" stance everyone already seems to have taken on ya know?

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am surprised no one has taken her yet. Also that they allowed her windscreen and cockpit to be removed. I worked beside the guys scrapping these birds in the 90's and if your group requested a Tomcat, you could get one for free! You just had to get Gov approval, and pay for delivery and set up. Usually around 10K. Believe it or not, few folks wanted one.

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your group requested a Tomcat, you could get one for free! You just had to get Gov approval, and pay for delivery and set up.

... I don't know a lot about getting ahold of old war birds, but don't you have to be a registered museum or something? With the folks in Iran looking for parts now, I think the government is being pretty tight with the cats.

I worked beside the guys scrapping these birds in the 90's

I'm guessing things are a little bit different since 9/11...

Speaking of all this maybe the VCA should pick up the the ultimate (static) Viper from AMARG and raffle it off!

:lmao:

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
... I don't know a lot about getting ahold of old war birds, but don't you have to be a registered museum or something? With the folks in Iran looking for parts now, I think the government is being pretty tight with the cats.

I'm guessing things are a little bit different since 9/11...

Speaking of all this maybe the VCA should pick up the the ultimate (static) Viper from AMARG and raffle it off!

:lmao:

I was speaking in past tense. Back THEN you could get one if you were a museum, or military group.. Ah, the 90's... when security was innocent....

Very true about 9-11. They were tearing apart these machines outside our building while we were still repairing them for the squadrons inside the building.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog