Any paint tips for the garage?

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys

I am looking for tips on painting the walls (drywall) and roof in my garage. It is about 10 yrs old and has a flat white paint on the walls and probably is the standard stuff that they used back then.

I have had some estimates with anything from using Oil Base and spraying on over top of the existing paint to going with a Latex with a light sanding. Of course I want to do it right and am thinking that a gloss or semi gloss type oil base to allow for ease of cleaning in the future as well as making it nice and bright. But these painters are not being very consistent and this is adding to the confusion.

I am still making up my mind on what I will do for the floors but probably FoorTuff from Jones-Blair or something from Garage Strategies.

Any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks

Tim

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently redid my garage with Satin White Glidden America's Finest over the standard paint job like it sounds like you have. Short of a towel wipe down and filling some nail holes, no prep work was done. I wash my car in the garage and the satin holds up well to the occasional splash. It is also reasonably easy to clean, but probably not as much so as full gloss. I'm just not convinced full gloss is for walls unless you're in the hospital...

The logos are in full gloss though, as well as the stereo shelf. Corner and base moldings all polished aluminum.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
T

Tim

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks good, did you sand the walls prior to the repaint?
Satin White Glidden America's Finest is it an Enamel?
Is it better to roll it on or use a sprayer?

Thanks

Tim

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always heard that unless your garage is heated/cooled like the rest of your house, you should use a latex paint with an "eggshell" type finish. The eggshell finish is supposed to prevent *********** of moisture from the change in temperatures common to most garages. Here's my "freehand" (used rulers and tape) Viper GTS wall emblem.

DSCF1549.JPG

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good, did you sand the walls prior to the repaint?
Satin White Glidden America's Finest is it an Enamel?
Is it better to roll it on or use a sprayer?

Thanks

Tim

Sanding for one would have taken the texture off the wall, and is otherwise not needed to give the new paint a good bite. But if your walls have been wet, mildewed, oil stained etc, then I would use a block primer such as Kilz. Otherwise from a flat sheen starting point you don't need a lot of prep work.

How about a pic of what you have?

The Glidden I used is a latex enamel - water based. And the satin sheen has just enough gloss to resist water, but not look institutional.

Spray is definitely faster, and a lot easier on the popcorn ceiling. But I did the whole project with a Viper in the garage. No spraying... :nono:

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You guys have entirely too much time on your hands................But I like it!
Dave6666, did you use a stencil on that Viper logo?

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used a semi-gloss white latex with a good sealer underneath (Baer). No sanding, just patched some holes first.

BigBadViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would love to get the graphics files and know how you guys did the stuff like the words and the logos on the walls. I am painting mine next week.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would love to get the graphics files and know how you guys did the stuff like the words and the logos on the walls. I am painting mine next week.

CAD files, 36" wide unlimited length printing, blue tape, Exacto knife, red paint, and :beer:

Mine is a 12ft long exact replica of the Viper GTS logo. The Sneaky Pete is a 5ft x 5ft exact rep...

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You could use a slide and project the image on the wall, trace it and then paint. Or you could have a sign shop create a reverse vinyl piece to use as a stencil.

NorthernSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I painted my garage last winter. It made a HUGE improvement to how the garage feels and how it feels to spend time in it.

Ceiling: White
Walls: 1 Lamborghini Yellow, 3 light charcoal grey
Floors: Painted Black (tough to keep clean, but looks good when it is)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960