Any truth to the rumor that late 97's have....

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any truth to the rumor that late 97\'s have....

a different cam? Like many, I have heard that the OE cam was outsourced on the late 97's, thereby providing a more "aggressive" cam in these cars. Anyone know the scoop? If there was a different cam, when did the change take place? Thanks for the help.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Any truth to the rumor that late 97\'s have....

Ohhhhh. That's an oldie but goodie. I haven't heard about the "special '97 cams" in a looooooong time.

Nobody ever convinced me that they were (functionally) any different than the '96 cams.

There is constant fiddling with overlap duration and lobe centerlines to satisfy ever-tightening emissions requirements and balance drivability and power. Cam mods during the period in question were aimed squarely at gripes over NGR.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

"outsourced" ?? All Viper cams are outsourced.

96 GTS and 97 GTS cams are the same (to each other).

When DESIGN PLANS were revealed in 1997 to change the cam (98-99) the rumor started that 97s went soft. Not so.

HEY DEAN ! Its pretty bad when we are the grey-beards after 10 years !

ndvipergtsr

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Kurt,
I have been following this since i sold my 97 GTS which was a late build car. And everything I have read and have come up with is that 96-97 cars all had the lumpy cam and the later cars got revised. Jerry

OP
OP
K

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the replys guys. I thought I'd hear from JonB and perhaps Dean. Although I don't have a grey beard (have owned a Viper for only 3 years) I do try to keep fact from fiction. I was hopeing that this question would not place me in the rookie question category, since it's a little more involved than "Did the stripes go through the plate on a 96 GTS and 97 GTS, or only the 96 GTS"!!
smile.gif

JonB, I know that all cams are outsourced. What I ment to say was that I had heard that the late 97 cams were from a different source than the previous 97 model cams and was hoping for some clarification. By the way, it was nice to meet you at VOI.

Thanks again....Kurt

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Comes up time and again, and I always gotta say - my 98 is a lumpy as any of them. More so even than my 97. Maybe there's something else that makes it that way?

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

The rumor was that the supplier of the cams did not keep up with demand and due to the shortage, "performance grind" cams were purchased from a certain tuner.

The other rumor had something to do with a Variable Valve Timing cam (made from rubber) that had a west coast tuner's phone rockin for a while.

laugh.gif