Any twin turbo Vipers going to the standing mile races?

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2006 standing mile races are scheduled for March 25-26 (for the Texas Mile) and April 1-2 (Maxton Mile). The overall record for Maxton is a Turbo Busa at 260.288 mph (Oct 05), and the overall record for the Texas Mile is an AA Blown Fuel Lakester at 257.117 mph (Oct 04). The fastest bike at the Texas Mile is also a turbo Busa at 251.147 mph.

Will any of the mega-Vipers, such as RSI, Heffner and DLM, be competing in the mile races this season? I'd love to see what a 2000+ horsepower Viper can do to the mile! Any guesses as to what a 2000 horsepower Viper can do in a standing mile?

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well seeing how SVS vipers has the only 2000 hp viper that i am aware of > i am guessing that this car can run close to 250 mph in the mile. their viper went 246 mph at bonnevile back when it was only putting down 1150 rwhp. they went out to bonnevile this year again with 1750 rwhp and got blown out by bad weather. i think they have the ability to hit 270 mph on the salt now. but 1 mile on pavement is a whole nother story as starting line traction becomes a major factor.

i wish these events were closer to me, especially the one in texas. the closest opportunity i have to run a 1 mile event is in northern nevada and that track resides at 6,000 feet above sea level. they won't allow me to run either of my turbocharged or nitrous injected motorcycles. cars and trucks only.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Silver State Classic will be running 1/2 mile and 1 mile standing start runs again this year. I know at least one member who will show up with about a +900hp Paxton. Run is about 3,000 ft elevation, so HP will suffer compared to sea level.

Anything above 200 mph would be huge in a street legal Viper.

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but a bit of a correction Paul.

Observed At: Ely, Nevada
Elevation: 6260 ft / 1908 m

You're right about anything above 200 mph in the standing mile though. It would be huge. Top speed last year was 183.3

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Venom TT SRT10 Viper has gone just over 210 in the standing mile.

Do you know at what event it took place at, the altitude, and the specs of the Viper?

Road & Track 2005 standing mile shootout. The event took place at an airbase in California, so altitude was probably just a few 100 feet.

Car was a 2005 Viper SRT10 - Venom 1000TT, pushing over 1150 rwhp. Tires were 20" Michelin PS2's.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a pics of the Viper:

2227Venom_Aero_Side-2.jpg

OP
OP
Z

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Road & Track 2005 standing mile shootout. The event took place at an airbase in California, so altitude was probably just a few 100 feet.

Car was a 2005 Viper SRT10 - Venom 1000TT, pushing over 1150 rwhp. Tires were 20" Michelin PS2's.

Thanks for the pic! That SRT looks sharp. Do you know if it will compete, especially in the Texas Mile, since I'm guessing the car is from Houston, which isn't very far from the event? Does anyone know if the big guys, like Chad Williams and Castellano, will compete?

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the pic! That SRT looks sharp. Do you know if it will compete, especially in the Texas Mile, since I'm guessing the car is from Houston, which isn't very far from the event? Does anyone know if the big guys, like Chad Williams and Castellano, will compete?

I think this Viper is currently in Indiana.

When is the Texas Mile? I might want to run and I could bring a TT as well.

OP
OP
Z

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When is the Texas Mile? I might want to run and I could bring a TT as well.

The first one this year is March 25-26, and the later one is October 28-29. They will be held in Goliad, TX. I think it would be great if you could bring a twin-turbo Viper to the event! Time to show those turbo Busas who's boss! (As far as I know, the record-holding 250+ mph Busa is street legal :shocked: )

Here's the link to their website; it has all the rules and regs, and lots of other info:

Texas Mile

If you get to go, keep all of us informed, and take pics!

OP
OP
Z

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
whats the elevation of the track at at goliad?

Hey Fast Freddy,
According to this website, it's 171 feet Goliad

I think you would have a blast running your cars and motorcycles in these events, since you're a true speed-freak! What do you think your bikes would do in a standing mile? At Maxton, some of the riders say that stopping is scarier than accelerating, since you only have a half mile to slow down from 260 mph! I've heard that at Bonneville, traction on the salt is really limited, but you have a longer stretch of "road" to get to top speed.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my nitrous injected CBR-929 would do at least 175 mph at goliad with that 171 foot altitude. my viper is getting modded next month to make 550 rwhp so i would say that it would be a little faster in the mile at 180+ mph. now if i were to regear the car and spray 2nd - 5th gear with a 150 shot of nitrous i think i could get close to 200 mph. my plan is to hit this event with a ford GT in a couple years and turn up the boost, etc and try and bust 200 mph.

so how how fast have you gone there on your ZX-12. i bet that you could bust 200 mph on that bike with a few mods.

OP
OP
Z

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fast Freddy,

I was getting my stock 01 Lightning approved to race, but it started having bad transmission slippage (and it already had all the other "issues", such as flaking rotors, loose plugs, leaky head gaskets, excess oil consumption), so I decided to sell it instead of destroying it while attempting to do a mile run. After hearing about the possible high crosswinds at the track, I decided not to run either my ZX12 or Busa, since wind shear at 190+ mph can be hazardous on a bike (I'm sure you've experienced wind shear in the deserts of AZ). I have gone 195 mph (indicated) on my ZX12, but I had more than a mile to get there. It's crazy windy at that speed!

I've since sold all my bikes, to release cash so I can work on other "safer" hobbies (restoring a 65 Mustang convertible). ZX12's have not had as much success as Busas in mile races. Most bikes in the 200+ mph club are Busas. The turbo companies favor the Busa for it's bigger displacement, ease of modification, durability (I know they are close to or have exceeded 800 rwhp on the top Busas), and better aerodynamics.

Running a Ford GT in a mile race would be great. The loud whine of a roots blower at redline is addictive (I miss my Lightning, despite it's problems). When you go, you need to record a video of your run, and share it with us! With careful tuning and mods I bet you can break 200 in a mile.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An RSI TT ran over 200 in the HALF MILE during the test runs the day before Racing (and beating) the jet last fall. They had to slow down and put on stock wheels with run-flats to race the jet because the event coordinator did not want a car running over 200 mph "on his runway".

Sure hope they are able to run the same TT (or a faster TT Coupe) in the full mile with the appropriate wheels/tires. I'm sure someone has pics of the RSI vs. jet race to post here.

OP
OP
Z

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An RSI TT ran over 200 in the HALF MILE during the test runs the day before Racing (and beating) the jet last fall. They had to slow down and put on stock wheels with run-flats to race the jet because the event coordinator did not want a car running over 200 mph "on his runway".

Sure hope they are able to run the same TT (or a faster TT Coupe) in the full mile with the appropriate wheels/tires. I'm sure someone has pics of the RSI vs. jet race to post here.

Now THAT'S the car that needs to run at the Maxton Mile and/or Texas Mile! With that kind of performance, I think it can compete with (or beat?) the 260 mph #8 Turbo Busa or the 257 mph race-only AA Lakester. Will RSI be setting it up for the mile? I think that the RSI Viper vs the #8 Turbo Busa (or the Lakester) would be the showdown of all time! (even more than the Viper vs jet)...

Let us know if they will be running it!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery