Anyone cruise around sans sidesills?

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Taking my car to a shop for some welding work and rear **** delete, and just picked up my newly painted side sills today.

Rather than risk the on/off/on process at the shop, can I leave them off and drive the thing over there (30 miles or so) to get the work done?

While no obvious mechanical reasons I am thinking with the Kumhos on the front a stone might toss up and chip the door without the sacrificial sidesill to stop them. Make any sense?

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard of some driving w/out them before; I think it would be fine - just watch your legs on exit - OUCH! lol

Clint

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can drive it over there without the sill covers, just be careful when you step out or you will get a nasty burn.

The risk of getting a stone kicked up is there with Kumhos or without, though more likely with them.

Ask if you can take them off when you get there.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider the heat of the cats after shut down, (500 degrees plus, easy) a inch or so from the bottom of your nicely painted plastic door. The bottom of the door at one point along the sill is fully exposed to the cat.....

Post shutdown, I'd suggest running a small fan on each side until they cool down a bit.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Consider the heat of the cats after shut down, (500 degrees plus, easy) a inch or so from the bottom of your nicely painted plastic door. The bottom of the door at one point along the sill is fully exposed to the cat.....

Post shutdown, I'd suggest running a small fan on each side until they cool down a bit.

ROTFLMAO!!! It won't hurt it! :D

HP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would look fugly, that's for sure!!!

[/quote

Now, now .... I'm guilty, but it's just cause I want to be different.
Actually, I have my sills stripped, and haven't found time to paint them.
But I do have highly polished 3" SS pipes.

McGuireV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did this a couple weeks ago. My drive was about 20 minutes. No problems.

OP
OP
G

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha Gerald, yeah sans must mean without for the French.

Must be all the ladies from Quebec that come to give a shot at taking their clothes off for a living in my town.

"We can't live sans you Ryan"........uhhh, something along those lines. :smirk:

Mixed responses on this side sill deal, maybe I'll pop them on for insurance, and pull them myself at the shop. One chip up on the doors and I'd be peeved.

Related note I had my sills painted for $300 Cdn and they look great, that's just over $200 US. Thought that was a decent deal.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Observed Team Viper drag racing a Gen I some time ago without the sills. No problem. And in drag racing you know the converters were getting toasty.

BTW sans is quite normal in speach here north of the border (for the uninformed Detroit is north of Windsor, Ontario).

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Observed Team Viper drag racing a Gen I some time ago without the sills. No problem. And in drag racing you know the converters were getting toasty.

BTW sans is quite normal in speach here north of the border (for the uninformed Detroit is north of Windsor, Ontario).

Ah, you may be north, but you are south of the border ;)

And "sans" is a fairly common term in general... if you're pretentious! :shocked:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
South of which border? Detroit is north of Windsor. Only major US city directly north of a Canadian city.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960