Anyone else here have a 911(996) TT? Compare to Viper...

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bad viper:
Fairly accurate in my opinion. The Porsche definitely needs horsepower mods! Nothing else it needs... excellent German engineering.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wayne, Did you have the 911 with the black wheels that was for sell a while back or was that someone else ?

Also after driving a 2000 non tt 911 for a few weeks I could see where a TT would be nice...especially with a few mods. A 911 and a Viper are two totally different cars. One of each would be nice.

SCS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a reasonable comparison...I strongly prefer the GTS over the Turbo though, I couldn't wait to sell my Turbo once I got a ride in the Viper, I put it up for sale the same day...

Vreracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove my Viper and a 996TT that had been fairly severly modified back to back. We are at 3700 feet so the Turbo gave the Porsche an advantage. The Porsche of course was smoother and quieter. The brakes of course were better.

With the 993TT I had it would have been pretty close to a tie.

One thing I did notice with the Porsche is that when you get up to some pretty serious speed, you look down at the Speedometer and are surprised at how fast you're going. When I'm driving the Viper, it is no surprise. You know exactly how fast you're going.

The question I have, is that if brakes are a big issue, what are the best upgrades for braking? I wish mine gave a little more of a solid feel to them.

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a ton of brake threads, but a front only big brake upgrade will be a decent improvement. I went with Stoptech on my Viper and the braking is much better, especially at speeds over 100 mph. Track performance is quite good and it is easier to threshold brake.

These brakes are still not up to Porsche Turbo standards, but are quite an improvement for $2500. I've run with a few 996TTs at track days and the cars seem pretty competitive overall, but then it was just for fun, not a race.

If I wanted to spend $100,000 on one car, a used 996TT would be on my list, but so would an F355 (I ended up buying a Viper and a Z06)

Also, Porsche is coming out with a street version of the GT3 which looks to be awesome. I'd rather have the GT3 then a turbo.

Jim

OP
OP
B

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony
Yes that is mine. Looks like it is sold..(at least I have 7500
of the buyers money).
Sweet car and nice used ones are cHeap(85-90k)!

Tpup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
needasnake,

I had a 99 GTS (miss it) and currently have a 01 TT. They are very different imo. The GTS is much more raw, like sports cars used to be. A buddy of mine coined the term "Plexus" regarding the Turbo as it is like a very, very fast Lexus. Very quiet, great climate control, stereo, perfect driving position, leather everywhere etc. I do understand a lot of the criticism of the Porsches refinement (too much). It is so fast, and so calm and collected about it that you just don't realize how fast you are going. I think the TT is really a GT car, and the Viper is a sports car.

Just my .02 worth...

Roy

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the posts on the Rennlist Board (and recently on the Turbo (911) Board and find most of the Porsche enthusiasts to be open, honest, respectful and objective (as one might expect). Others are less so and still others tend to be downright insulting. The clownshoe remarks are just asinine.

For me it comes down to personal preference. Vipers and 911 Turbos are both great cars and so close in performance that driver skill will likely be the only real determining factor. That assumes, of course, that the Viper has been outfitted with real brakes. ****** me off that we need to pony up another 4 to 5 large just to get the friggen thing to stop respectably.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang