Anyone else see Sports Compact Car- Sept. issue?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pick up the Sept. issue of Sports Compact Car with the new Viper vs. Evo on the front cover. The editor drives both the new Viper and partially tuned Evo (4 door shoe box with a ricer wing) on a road course and thinks the Viper is terrible in its handling and shows the Evo with better lap times too????? I sent him a reply email to hopefully show up in the Oct. issue. I questioned his driving experience to give such a ridiculous break down of HIS opinion of the Viper, and also mentioned more reputable articles from Road & Track and Car & Driver give thumbs up to the new Viper. And that they compare it to the ZO6, Porsche Turbo, Nissan GT R and some exotics and not a shoe box Evo. He goes on to say that he wants the muscle car mags to bring it on with the Viper for another comparison. I also asked him to let his import readers to choose from the new Viper or Evo if they had a choice to have one free of all costs. I will be surprised if he actually prints my reply. Check the article out as it will really make your blood boil.

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a compact car rag. They are Ricers and they only like Ricers. They are afraid of real Race cars, that's why they are Ricers. If the article was in favor of the Viper it never would have been published. Same as the other big car rags. Their biggest sponsor is GM, do you think they would publish that the Viper is actually better than the Vette? You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Don't get upset! We know the difference! Just ask all the Vette people on the forum who now drive a Vipers. Most of them that I have talked to wish they had done it sooner. :D

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw something similar on Speed called "Super Cars Exposed" where they put a fully tuned race EVO against a Viper and Aston Martin. They kept spinning the Viper out in the turns and all. The EVO looked like a toy and would get blown away on the straights, but the driver would then go into a turn too hard and spin the car out. In the end he did say that the Viper was bone stock and the EVO was a fully tuned race car, tuned for that course. He also said that the EVO with all the upgrades cost more than the Viper did stock. So he at least acknowledged that the race was rigged toward the EVO. Sure was funny to watch the Viper just blow down the straights and leave EVO way behind (so far behind that even after the Viper spun and got stuck for a second, it still had a 3 second lead).

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the grocery store and happened to read that article...he goes on to say that he wouldnt want to drive the viper again becasue it drove like a "pig"......then they said "if ive offended any viper owners..well the truth hurts". Really POed me...but then again thats what they wanted.

They said in the end that if anyone wants to bring a viper, they will take up a second challenge...id REALLY like to see somone who knows what there doing smoke that toy car in a follow up challenge.

alpine7822

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about an ACR v. the EVO and allow both sides to prepare the car how they would like? I think we'd have a completely difference story.

kman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats it! I'm immediately selling my viper and getting and evo, I want to be cool to you know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang