Anyone familiar with this company for track insurance?

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been researching a number of companies for insurance for HPDE/driver instruction schools for my Viper. Several schools such as laurelde will not even insure the Viper but Skip Thomas at Viper Days referred me to a UK-based company that actually insures race cars. The company is Everitt Boles. I am in the process of getting some quotes and they will cover Vipers.

Before I pull the trigger, does anyone have any experience -- positive or negative -- with Everitt Boles?

Thanks for your help.

/Rich

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used them in the past for p-cars, let me know what the say about the viper. A lot of teams use them.

04 Black GA Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought track insurance from them last year for my 2004 Viper for coverage at VIR, Sebring, and Barber track events. Very expensive. I had no problems, but I never had to file any claims.

xlr8ion

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waste of money for hpde.Your normal insurance will cover this as long as you do not have a cage or something like that as a give away.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They do cover Vipers and I am looking at $4-6,000 for full coverage of the car for 4 HPDE/driver training events with a deductible per accident of $6-8,900.

My current auto insurance policy also would provide coverage but I do not want to rely on that.

/Rich

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
xlr8ion said "Your normal insurance will cover this as long as you do not have a cage or something like that as a give away."

I disagree !!

While there has been plenty of history of coverage in the PAST (20+years)...things have changed considerably. One cannot assume anything in this area now...and one certainly needs to obtain a confirmation IN WRITING about any implied/hoped-for/presumed coverage FROM THE UNDERWRITING COMPANY, not just from your local, friendly agent.

Recently, a local Porsche Club member who has participated for YEARS in HPDE events received a letter from Chubb ("out of the blue") informing him hat he had NO coverage for said events...including NO liability coverage at all.
I would also add that he is a careful driver with no tickets and no claims.

Our Region has had several members turned down on direct inquiry to the company.

Check with YOUR company BEFORE you play.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
xlr8ion said "Your normal insurance will cover this as long as you do not have a cage or something like that as a give away."

I disagree !!

While there has been plenty of history of coverage in the PAST (20+years)...things have changed considerably. One cannot assume anything in this area now...and one certainly needs to obtain a confirmation IN WRITING about any implied/hoped-for/presumed coverage FROM THE UNDERWRITING COMPANY, not just from your local, friendly agent.

Recently, a local Porsche Club member who has participated for YEARS in HPDE events received a letter from Chubb ("out of the blue") informing him hat he had NO coverage for said events...including NO liability coverage at all.

Our Region has had several members turned down on direct inquiry to the company.

Great advice guys. Good comment too Steve. I agree that one needs to check your insurance policy and the exclusions for collision coverage. I am aware that some insurance companies use language to the effect that any loss that occurs on a track surface of any kind (timed or not) will be excluded. I just checked my new policy on my 2008 with Farmers and they limit coverage only to races, timed events or any event in preparation for a race or timed event.

/Rich

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Steve. I know people who have been denied. Remember your car can also get bent from others. You might want to consider just self-insuring, which is what I will be doing with my upcoming ACR.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with Steve. I know people who have been denied. Remember your car can also get bent from others. You might want to consider just self-insuring, which is what I will be doing with my upcoming ACR.

fastmd --

By self insuring do you mean simply having a cache of funds sufficient to do repairs in the event of a significant loss or total or do you mean something else? Thanks.

/Rich

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rich,
The cost of the premium and deductible if you are in accident will hit you at around $10k-$15k with EB. Now at this point your car may/may not see any more events this season. It is also not your pristine garage queen anymore. So what do you do, get it fixed/caged and now you have a permanent tracker that can show scars which are appropriate.

I think you have put so much work into your new 08, that you will enjoy it, but god forbid something happens and it needs to be patched up, you might as well enjoy it even more.

I am prepared to come out of pocket for a total loss if necessary, but always make sure you have proper asset protection and umbrella coverages. Take a look at what has happened to the family of the CGT track crash and deaths.

As for true self-insurance that is how my business is protected, but that is a whole new post(surety bonds, risk deferrance etc)

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you can't afford to fix it, you can't afford to take it on the track.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I disagree !!

AGREED.... Timed events, or any type of "competitive events" are specifically EXCLUDED... There is plenty of case law to back this up.. YOU WILL NOT BE AFFORDED COVERAGE.. Play at your own risk..

I cant imagine what track insurance exists, without a million and one, exclusions.. If This coverage existed. It would not be affordable.. Im a company underwriter, no way you can buy REAL coverage for this..

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grundy Collector Car Ins. will NOT insure any "timed" events. ie:track, drag strip, etc. That is written into my policy.

Kenneth --

Tha language is similar to my Farmer's exclusion language. The HPDE events I plan to attend, however, are nontimed driver training schools and therefore do not appear to be covered by such language. Even so, I am looking at alternative coverage specifically for these types of driving schools.

/Rich

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I disagree !!

Right on Steve!

Insurance agents are paid on commission. the higher the premium the more he makes. Used to be 25% according to a friend of mine a few years ago. When you call them to file a claim they tell you to call the claims department at 1-800-. one should also check your factory warranty as my 2003 states that the warranty is voided if the car is used in competition. Your only hope if you wreck your viper at the track is to pay to have it towed away from the track and then file claiming you had an accident on the street. But as someone else said above if you can not afford to pay then don't play.:drive:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
A LITTLE HISTORY LESSON ON THIS ISSUE...OLD HAT TO THE "OLD TIMERS" HERE:

Read this one first:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/531345-track-events-insurance-claims-lessons-learned-my-trial-long.html

then this:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/549539-suit-against-insur-co-over-wreck-track-i-may-need-some-club-help.html

then this:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/549642-track-insurance-ga-court-appeals-refuses-reconsider.html

then this:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/550132-going-alone-ga-supreme-court-vca-balks-assistance.html

then this:

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/566069-does-insurance-cover-your-car-if-you-wreck-track.html which contains an important quote from RockyTop:

"Been there, done that ! Progressive now has law on the books in GA (which will probably be followed in FL if a case of first impression) that interprets the Progressive policy language very much in favor of the insurance company. Every person is entitled to their day in court, but your chances aren't good with Progressive's policy. "

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Waste of money for hpde.Your normal insurance will cover this as long as you do not have a cage or something like that as a give away.
Read your policy, as the language differs from company to company. Some cover, some don't. My last policy excluded any collision off of public roads!

windyridge4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just checked with my agent at State Farm. Their underwriters have recently changed the policy! Used to cover "driving instruction and non-timed events". Not no more!!! If you are driving you Viper on a "surface used for racing events" you are NOT covered. No way, no how. If, however, you're racing around in a parking lot, you're good to go. Phooey!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang