Anyone have old K/N filter(s) for testing?

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading the posts on the K/N filters and the instructions page on this website, I've come up with a way to fix the product instead of modifying my airbox.

It's clear that the filter is too thick and pops off the clips. This is especially true with gen1's like mine. I'm going to make a template that molds to the airbox groove and cut the filter. Then with a tool (not sure what yet, maybe dremel) this will put a groove where K/N should have. Testing for airleaks will know how deep to cut the groove.

I want to test with an old one instead of ruining the two I just bought new. Would anyone happened to keep old ones?

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had I not trimmed the gasket area on my K&N's, I would gladly give you the ill fitting pieces of ..... I plan to replace with the Roe filters anyway...

How can you test for air leaks?

Tomer

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i understand that you do not want to disturb the integrety or value of your car, but i can assure you that by creating a deeper ridge in your OEM box that you would be doing neither,in my opinion the project you are attempting will not bear enough fruit to make it worth your while,in my experience i have not found many owners too concerned with this issue if they are they can just leave oem filters,trim the K&Ns or as said earlier go with Seans filters as they are a good product,just my 2cents

OP
OP

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Vipermed but if you modify the airbox, the OEM filters won't seal again. Someday I may have a weird idea to install the OEM filters again. I think my real problem is that I can't bring myself to making any mods that can't go back.

I'll try to either cut a groove in the gasket area of the filter that matches the airbox or reduce the depth of the gasket alltogether.

If anyone replaces their K/N's or switches to something else and doesn't think they'll use them, let me know and I'll buy them.

P.S. I would just go to Roe filters but I can't take these back (xmas gift)