Anyone in BayArea got short shifter in Gen3?

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am shopping for the short shifter. I already have the MGW short rod, but wanted to see if I can feel the difference if I install the whole short shifter. I read a lot of post on the shifters and while majority of the people say it is a good mod most of those guys who say that changed from stock long shift rod to the shorter shifter and shorter shift rod. At the same time I saw posts from people who already had short shift rod got and disappointed or in another words expected more from the actual short shifter when they changed to it and didn't get what they expected. Hence, I was wondering if anyone in Bay Area have a short shifter in the Gen3 car so I can try how it feels?
While shifter itself does not cost much its the work that I don't want to go through if it doesn't make much of a difference.
Thanks for your help.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
YLW-ET:

One you do a short-shaft and short MGW know, thats a noticible change in 10 minutes. Shifter makes a larger difference, as MANY anecdotes replied to your last posts/threads. [A couple SRT engineers even added this to their personal cars, and now a short-throw is OE for 2010.] You were confused about % of travel. But the "FEEL" cannot be quantified.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/631666-short-shifter-mgw-b-b.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...1692-anyone-got-write-up-shifter-install.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...lp-me-determine-if-i-have-tranny-problem.html

YLW-ET, if you were a VCA member you would have a WHOLE LIST of local fellow members to ask a test! Challenge: Join VCA TODAY and PartsRack will pay you a $50 credit toward a BM or MGW shifter !!!! 1-800-998-1110

Once a member, you can access the NoCal VCA pages and maybe find a test-shift, GOOD LUCK

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YLW-ET:

One you do a short-shaft and short MGW know, thats a noticible change in 10 minutes. Shifter makes a larger difference, as MANY anecdotes replied to your last posts/threads. [A couple SRT engineers even added this to their personal cars, and now a short-throw is OE for 2010.] You were confused about % of travel. But the "FEEL" cannot be quantified.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/631666-short-shifter-mgw-b-b.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...1692-anyone-got-write-up-shifter-install.html

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...lp-me-determine-if-i-have-tranny-problem.html

YLW-ET, if you were a VCA member you would have a WHOLE LIST of local fellow members to ask a test! Challenge: Join VCA TODAY and PartsRack will pay you a $50 credit toward a BM or MGW shifter !!!! 1-800-998-1110

Once a member, you can access the NoCal VCA pages and maybe find a test-shift, GOOD LUCK

Jon, I really appreciate the offer (specially that this is not the first time you are offering it to me), and your time digging out my previous posts :). While I have no doubt in your words I would really like to get a feeling for the short shifter in the car by myself.
On another note, I don't want to stir any flamings, but I don't like to be pushed into something that I don't want to be pushed into - in this case a VCA membership. I personally don't believe that NorCal VCA club adds much of the benefits to the NorCal Viper owners. I've been member of this forum for more than a year and I did not see or hear any interesting NorCal VCA gatherings like track days, or dyno day or 1/4 mile day, or simple cruise on the beach. As a matter of fact, random members of this forum, including me were trying to set up the above events from time to time on our own. I may loose my membership here for saying all of this, but heck I still believe this is a free country and I can say what I think. I also believe that internet based forums in most cases created as non profit and should be free for the members, at least all of the forums I used to belong - NSXPrime, Corvettforum, Viperalley, etc, never required paid membership. Direct purpose of the forum development is for its members to discuss topics of the same interest. All the money to support running servers and storage usually comes from the advertising and supporting vendors. This is simply my point of view.
Said all the above if I will see benefit (interesting viper gatherings, discounts, etc) to pay for the membership I may jump in and pay for it, but until than I remain "ENTHUSIAST".

Fast Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YLW DRM2 I couldn't agree more with you, the "Nor Cal VCA" is not as active as I thought it would be, obviously prior to joining. I see how other regions are doing quite well and a Viper owner would benefit from being a member of a region such as SoCal VCA or Central CA VCA. I do agree you should not be pressured into joining. I understand there are certain "perks" online, discounts, and accessibility, however, some people don't like to do things when powerful forum figures such as Vendors keep pressuring and calling out an individual for not being a member. Give YLW DRM2 a break..

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's just because people in No. Cal are just too stressed out to attend events and drive their cars :) But, then again, with our unemployment being at the top of the US range, and those who are employed are keeping boxes handy in their cubicles just in case, and the cost of living being the highest in the nation, I'm surprised as many events come together as have I've heard about this year. Not that I've been to any - so I think I'll just shut up now.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's just because people in No. Cal are just too stressed out to attend events and drive their cars :) But, then again, with our unemployment being at the top of the US range, and those who are employed are keeping boxes handy in their cubicles just in case, and the cost of living being the highest in the nation, I'm surprised as many events come together as have I've heard about this year. Not that I've been to any - so I think I'll just shut up now.

:) Nope we would love to get out and ride in the wind :drive:. As a matter of fact last Saturday and Sunday we had a NON VCA event that was put together only in 3 days and 7 Vipers showed up.
Anyway, I think this post gets derailed :dunno: all I was asking in my original post is if anyone in SF Bay Area have a short shifter in the car for me to meet that member and try the feel of the shifter.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's funny how we SF Bay Area folks think the term "Bay Area" automatically refer to us. In Florida, there's a "Bay Area" as well. :)

I have a short shifter in my Gen2, so probably not helpful to you.

I've been to one event... it was ok, and the people are nice. I've seen the events lined up and they just don't really move me. Also, South Bay is just a pain to commute to for the monthly meetings. NorCal is just too big of a region. The guys up by Sacramento have their own meetings occasionally.... been thinking we should do a tri-bridge (GG, Bay, Richmond) gathering sometime.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
YLW is in fact a good custoner here, and supports me, so I 'risk' by poking at him. {Has speaking my mind ever changed?!?}

NorCal has had several great events that I have even travelled to. Doris here is also a member there. I think that being a VCA member also helps support the VOLUNTEERS that created and operates this site for users. [ "USERS" not meant as a derogatory.]

I feel that YLW, who has needed local dealer and other helps, WOULD benefit from membership, even if attending only 1-2 events. So I offered to pay him, personally, a $50 credit! Because I BELIEVE this website alone is WORTH the VCA membership fee. Have you even seen the SnakeEyes NorCal mag? GREAT MAG, 2nd to ViperMag! Lots of insider stuff too. Great charity and other activities too.

Why not support the organization that lays this freely in your lap? THANKS YLW-ET.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21