Anyone know the changes for 2014 model ?

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chevy seems to have figured it out on their 13,000+ production Corvette.

One can order a base Corvette, choose what wheels they want, what color brake calipers they want (base, black, grey metallic, red, yellow, silver) One can also add the ZR-1 spoiler to the base vette, one of 4 different headlight assembly colors, along with choice of cross drilled rotors, suspension, axle ratio etc etc. They are not forcing you to step into a "premium" model.

They must have used magic to figure that out, because SRT has yet to figure it out on a less than what, 700 hand built model year?

Economies of scale. Simple as that.

I (personally) think SRT should have a better ability to option the car out - more of an "individual" program. I think many would pay for that. I like how with Porsche you can even choose the color of the deviated stitching in your interior (Granted, it costs you thousands of dollars just for the choice of color for stitching).

SRTviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Economies of scale. Simple as that.

I (personally) think SRT should have a better ability to option the car out - more of an "individual" program. I think many would pay for that. I like how with Porsche you can even choose the color of the deviated stitching in your interior (Granted, it costs you thousands of dollars just for the choice of color for stitching).

On the corvette you can choose between red, blue, or yellow for like 300 bucks. And it is the same price on a r8 to choose from different colors. Porsche is just out of their minds with their pricing. They are relying on their loyal customers who will continue to pay those insane prices for nothing.

The only porsche I like is the turbo S and boxter or cayman. All the other 911s are hardly worth it unless you want just a base one with sport exhaust.

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is NO WAY to upgrade to carbon brakes ( on a ZR1) on a base model.....so GM has followed SRT 's logic......

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is NO WAY to upgrade to carbon brakes ( on a ZR1) on a base model.....so GM has followed SRT 's logic......

You can order crossdrilled Grand Sport rotors on the base coupe, I am not referring to the $7500 CCB option that can be added to the Z06

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe SRT should adopt bentley's model. Because both are hand built and they make around 4-6 a day they really should let you option how ever the hell you want and just charge accordingly simple as that. They should only have 1 viper since they all share the same engine and overall suspension their should be one viper and you build it how you see fit.

This honestly would be the best approach rather than have a SRT, GTS, TA, ACR.

I am not trying to be the @$$hole in this thread or find reasons to complain but I agree with this and this has been exactly my point.

From day one Ralph has said, if you want a GT, get the GTS with the soft suspension, sound deadening etc. You want a track day car, you can do that with the SRT and the track pack etc. Now the GTS comes standard with the track rotors that even to Bills words most don't track their car, and the SRT can't even option them out?

I am glad SRT made the Sidewinder II an option, that's great! It should have been an option from day one. There should be more options, less packages and less models. It's a $100,000 hand built American car, someone should be able to have it built with the options they want IMO.

Anyways, I'm done, just thinking out loud on the subject. :2tu:

Last edited:

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not trying to be the @$$hole in this thread or find reasons to complain but I agree with this and this has been exactly my point.

From day one Ralph has said, if you want a GT, get the GTS with the soft suspension, sound deadening etc. You want a track day car, you can do that with the SRT and the track pack etc. Now the GTS comes standard with the track rotors that even to Bills words most don't track their car, and the SRT can't even option them out?

I am glad SRT made the Sidewinder II an option, that's great! It should have been an option from day one. Their should be more options, less packages and less models. It's a $100,000 hand built American car, someone should be able to have it built with the options they want IMO.

Anyways, I'm done, just thinking out loud on the subject. :2tu:
Agree with you. There should be a $98,000 car you can order any option for. The two model split was a bit silly IMHO. Even with my SRT, I think I may have gone with the full leather interior, if it were an option.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other answer is they want differentiation between the GTS and the SRT ---- same concept that is done on all vehicles , regardless of make. You want certain options you move up to the next model.

Which is why I'm still baffled at the ability to get the SRT hood put on to the 2014 GTS. Please correct me if I'm off base here but the look of the SRT hood was more ******** throw back race car Gen 4 styling?... The GTS hood had a euro refined flowing grand touring car feel? (Thus asking a higher "refined" price). There is no greater visual cue on a car then the hood. With this hood the Gen 5 GTS can become a hodgepodge of parts and pieces. Now only the GTS badge and some wheels will state define it as a GTS rolling down the street. I like the SRT hood don't get me wrong but, it doesn't belong on a grand touring car. I think the SRT hood devalues the GTS (differetiation)IMO. Would like to hear other opinions on this...

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Which is why I'm still baffled at the ability to get the SRT hood put on to the 2014 GTS. Please correct me if I'm off base here but the look of the SRT hood was more ******** throw back race car Gen 4 styling?... The GTS hood had a euro refined flowing grand touring car feel? (Thus asking a higher "refined" price). There is no greater visual cue on a car then the hood. With this hood the Gen 5 GTS can become a hodgepodge of parts and pieces. Now only the GTS badge and some wheels will state define it as a GTS rolling down the street. I like the SRT hood don't get me wrong but, it doesn't belong on a grand touring car. I think the SRT hood devalues the GTS (differetiation)IMO. Would like to hear other opinions on this...

I would like to have ordered the hood and grill off the race car now that is an agressive looking Viper

Last edited:

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems that SRT fully intended the GTS to be the luxury model, and the SRT Viper the performance model. They differentiated the GTS with additional luxury features and finishes, including more sound deadening and a more compliant suspension. All this to distinguish it as the most civilized and elegant Viper ever. There's not a single performance feature added to it beyond what the base Viper has, IIRC. The GTS buyer pays a hefty premium for additional luxury and exclusivity, not performance. I suspect the GTS buyers would be least likely to take them to a road course, and even less likely to push them hard enough to need the best brakes available.

I'd suggest the opposite is true for the SRT Coupe buyer. They don't need or want the highest level of luxury or cost, nor the additional weight, and if the SRT hood offers a bit more cooling then that's a plus. The Track Pack seemed to be the perfect group of options for the occasional or hardcare track enthusiast. I'd certainly have ordered the package primarily for the better brakes, not the tires that get replaced in short order anyways, and I liked the look of the wheels more than feeling they were a must for track use.

So I see the elimination of availability of the better brakes on the track focused SRT as more of a disregard for the performance Viper buyer, and offering them on the GTS as feature to appeal to the buyer who wants the best of everything... and if he can't get carbon ceramic brakes with 8 piston calipers in his choice of colour, at least he'll have the best that SRT offers:) I think I can even understand some GTS owners not wanting the exclusive image of their GTS tarnished by others putting the base car's hood on, but I can't for the life of me understand some of the choices SRT makes.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I see the elimination of availability of the better brakes on the track focused SRT as more of a disregard for the performance Viper buyer, and offering them on the GTS as feature to appeal to the buyer who wants the best of everything... and if he can't get carbon ceramic brakes with 8 piston calipers in his choice of colour, at least he'll have the best that SRT offers:) I think I can even understand some GTS owners not wanting the exclusive image of their GTS tarnished by others putting the base car's hood on, but I can't for the life of me understand some of the choices SRT makes.

But doesn't the introduction of the TA render that moot? The better brakes may be on the GTS, but the best brakes are on the TA now...which is mostly derived from the base car. The only problem with the TA is that it is so limited in options. In some ways trying to make everyone happy makes no one happy... :crazy2:

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But doesn't the introduction of the TA render that moot? The better brakes may be on the GTS, but the best brakes are on the TA now...which is mostly derived from the base car. The only problem with the TA is that it is so limited in options. In some ways trying to make everyone happy makes no one happy... :crazy2:

I think everyone would've been happen if there would've been just one model and put whatever options you wanted.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to have ordered the hood and grill off the race car now that is an agressive looking Viper

The hope is some of those styling cues are incorporated into the ACR, should it ever be made.

Bruce H.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But doesn't the introduction of the TA render that moot?

Even as a track enthusiast I would not buy a TA because it is too track focused, and doing so at the exclusion of acceptable road manners. It's really a dedicated track car, and it's likely just a temporary measure until an ACR comes out...and heaven help it if a Stingray with better tires, suspension and setup beats it around Laguna Seca :omg:

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even as a track enthusiast I would not buy a TA because it is too track focused, and doing so at the exclusion of acceptable road manners. It's really a dedicated track car, and it's likely just a temporary measure until an ACR comes out...and heaven help it if a Stingray with better tires, suspension and setup beats it around Laguna Seca :omg:

I'll wait until the TA gets more hands on it before commenting on if it is too track focused...some say the suspension is softer than the 2013s, I'm not sure if that's accurate. In any event, I drive an ACR so I might be a little biased on what is streetable or not.

IMO, the Stingray (Z51 C7) won't threaten the Viper around the track, but I think the Z06 and ZR1 successors will.

Capt Van

Enthusiast
Reaction score

:rolleyes: OK...I totally disagree with you as I am putting my money where my mouth is. I have a MY 2014 on order (vin on request) GTS with the SRT hood. When I first saw both cars at VOI I thought the SRT hood was by far better looking, but hey that's me. I like the hood on my 09 ACR.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Devalues the car, lmao

Just imagine what will happen when someone with a GTS that has an SRT hood debadges the car - then people may think it is a cheap 'ole SRT! The horror!

OP
OP
K

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Devalues the car, lmao

Just imagine what will happen when someone with a GTS that has an SRT hood debadges the car - then people may think it is a cheap 'ole SRT! The horror!

I took the old sneaky pete emblems off my 1997 GTS and put the new stryker emblems on my car and I just tell everyone its the new 2013 Viper and I paid $150G. Fooled everyone so far that has seen my car. I even get compliments about the upgraded interior !!

JETSTAR

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I took the old sneaky pete emblems off my 1997 GTS and put the new stryker emblems on my car and I just tell everyone its the new 2013 Viper and I paid $150G. Fooled everyone so far that has seen my car. I even get compliments about the upgraded interior !!

Wish I had thought of that before I spent $150,000.00
LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc