Anyone run an GenIII or Gen IV with no muffler or cats?

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im curious to know how loud and obnoxious it is to run a side exhaust car with basicly straight pipe. Only considering to reduce weight. The Corsa system is a pig but sounds good. I currently run no Cats with Balanger Headers and Corsa. Its loud but not stupid loud. I only track the car.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Headers and 'catless straight pipes' in a sidepiper would be so rat-loud that it would not likely pass sound-tech at many race tracks in the USA.

I have instructed in a couple such cars, and even with a helmet I get a headache after 20 minutes....

But you ask a valid question about weight: in GTS-Rs of Oreca, the sidepipes emerge mid-door, simply to save the weight of that extra 28" of behind-centerline pipe on each side

OP
OP
S

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Headers and 'catless straight pipes' in a sidepiper would be so rat-loud that it would not likely pass sound-tech at many race tracks in the USA.

I have instructed in a couple such cars, and even with a helmet I get a headache after 20 minutes....

Thanks Jon
Im glad I asked then
:D

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fired mine up with open headers after putting them on, just to see what it sounded like. I honestly loved the sound at idle, but anything above idle was WAAAAYYY too much.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Shandon,

I ran the same set up you're running for quite a while. Engine made more power "cat-less" and sounded pretty good but was already very loud. Not too bad with a helmet at speed.

Can't run the car at Laguna Seca and a few other tracks, so the stock exhaust is back on, for the time being.

A friend of mine and now Viper Cup driver actually had to give up racing for several years due to hearing loss / damage after getting too much volume / sound out of his comp coupe with no cats, no mufflers and side exit exhaust.

Straight pipes would be too much, IMHO, like Jon says, unless there's a whole bunch of money to be made.

Dan

DeceptioN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can see doing no cats, but no mufflers also seems a tad too much. Don't we have a guy here that specializes in selling mufflers?

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 08 came with a magnaflow exhaust(very short muffler like 20" long) and I just had the cats cut off. So my car is stock headers catless with magnaflow exhaust and its still not too loud and no drone anywhere in the rpm range. It is loud but not quite as loud as my 06 with M&M headers catless and corsa track but the little 20" long magnaflow muffler is ALOT lighter and has to have less restriction than corsa so you may want to look into a set of them for better weight loss without the drone. Of course adding headers may make it drone cant say but will let you know as soon as I add M&M's to the 08.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R