Anyone track a Gen V at Laguna Seca?

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laguna Seca has a sound meter on the track that ensures cars are under 90 dB. They've always had a limited number of higher sound track days, such as 105 dB.

News flash - I've hear that beginning in 2014, all track days with be 90 dB! Most stock cars pass this, but I'm doubtful the Gen V Viper will, especially with it's side pipes.

Has anyone tracked a Gen V at Laguna Seca, and do they know if it exceeds 90 dB?

Thanks!

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've raced a lot there, and if a car doesn't make the sound limits, get a clamp on exhaust turn down for the right side pipe, stay to the left after turn 5, where they have the sound booth, and short shift a bit there.

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm floored going up T5, no issues. You will be fine. What day you going?

Awesome, I've been trying to find the answer to that question for a long time. Still trying to work out when I can go. There's a chance I can make it on Nov 14, working on getting the day off and kids babysat.

Very likely I'll be going to Buttonwillow both Dec 21 - 22. Probably with the Viper, but maybe with the Camaro.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Awesome, I've been trying to find the answer to that question for a long time. Still trying to work out when I can go. There's a chance I can make it on Nov 14, working on getting the day off and kids babysat.

Very likely I'll be going to Buttonwillow both Dec 21 - 22. Probably with the Viper, but maybe with the Camaro.

The 14th is Hooked on Driving event. I was looking at that event,and might go..

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 14th is Hooked on Driving event. I was looking at that event,and might go..

Good deal, I'm going to try hard to make it. If you see Dr. Jekyl's grandmother driving a Viper for the first session or two, that will be me! First time at Laguna Seca. I'll boot her out in the third session and hopefully Mr. Hyde will be available to drive.

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mission accomplished. I've got the day off and I'm signed up.

Anyone else care to join us on this legendary track?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dangit...you're saying they are eliminating all 'open' days as of 2014? crap...my Belinger race equipped ACR will surely blow the sound meter up. So, guess I can cross this one off my bucket list...bummer

Mister Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Laguna Seca has a sound meter on the track that ensures cars are under 90 dB. They've always had a limited number of higher sound track days, such as 105 dB.

News flash - I've hear that beginning in 2014, all track days with be 90 dB! Most stock cars pass this, but I'm doubtful the Gen V Viper will, especially with it's side pipes.

Has anyone tracked a Gen V at Laguna Seca, and do they know if it exceeds 90 dB?

Hey Todd - any side exhaust car will struggle to 'pass' the Laguna sound meter, including your Gen 5. When we tested the TA there, we could not run flat out from T5 - T6 without blowing it every time. At least the meter is very obviously located. If you short-shift up out of T5 you will likely pass even at full throttle.

Very frustrating...your tax dollars at work (Laguna is government-controlled) protecting you from yourselves! Like many race tracks, Laguna Seca was built out in the middle of nowhere 50 years ago, but is now politically 'controlled' by the newly-installed neighbors, who don't like auto racing. We have the same problem at our few tracks in Michigan. The newbies build a mansion by the race track, then complain about how the noise is infringing upon them. Go figure.

PS. If you carry a radio, the sound booth girl at Laguna will give you an instantaneous reading on 'her' meter (the one that matters) if you radio in asking for a sound check. And if you're asking, they will tend to turn a 'blind eye' and ignore your violations, if you sincerely show your interest in 'keeping quiet'. Hint, hint. ;)

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Hey Todd - any side exhaust car will struggle to 'pass' the Laguna sound meter, including your Gen 5. When we tested the TA there, we could not run flat out from T5 - T6 without blowing it every time. At least the meter is very obviously located. If you short-shift up out of T5 you will likely pass even at full throttle.

Very frustrating...your tax dollars at work (Laguna is government-controlled) protecting you from yourselves! Like many race tracks, Laguna Seca was built out in the middle of nowhere 50 years ago, but is now politically 'controlled' by the newly-installed neighbors, who don't like auto racing. We have the same problem at our few tracks in Michigan. The newbies build a mansion by the race track, then complain about how the noise is infringing upon them. Go figure.

PS. If you carry a radio, the sound booth girl at Laguna will give you an instantaneous reading on 'her' meter (the one that matters) if you radio in asking for a sound check. And if you're asking, they will tend to turn a 'blind eye' and ignore your violations, if you sincerely show your interest in 'keeping quiet'. Hint, hint. ;)

My ACR has side exhaust. Never had any problems with sound. As long as everything is stock though..

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dangit...you're saying they are eliminating all 'open' days as of 2014? crap...my Belinger race equipped ACR will surely blow the sound meter up. So, guess I can cross this one off my bucket list...bummer

This came from a Shelby Club member that's organizing their track events next year. So it's likely true, but maybe things will change. We need Clint Eastwood back in politics, he wouldn't put up with this BS.

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Graham, good to hear from you. Hmmm, well short shifting could do the trick then. I might be slow enough to be bogging through there any way, so it may not be an issue for me :omg:

Thanks for the tip on the booth girl. Hope things are good in Motor City, I'm loving this Gen V.

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great video and driving! What were the two cars ahead that were pretty well matching your pace?

Thank's..The 1st car was some Ford V8 powered tube frame race car,and a 600hp gutted out Mustang racer. A fun session in D group HOD..

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On board video would be as cool as sliced bread if you can. Good luck, wish I could go....

Definitely will! Lately I've been using Harry's Lap Timer, it works quite well. It overlays speed, throttle, RPM, a track map, and automatically dumps it right into my iPhone photo library. Pretty slick. Here's a video of my last run in the Camaro, to give you an idea:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324871

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you think Laguna Seca is a fun track, check out the new Thunderhill West track being built. This will give us two tracks to run on. Connect them together and you end up with a deforested Nurburgring....lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boyHL7uUwcc&feature=youtu.be

Cheers,
George

Damn George, I just can't wait! Hard to tell from the vid, but I could see hitting speeds of well over 150 in the combined track! Holy crap, I need aero. I need aero. Did I say I need aero?

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn George, I just can't wait! Hard to tell from the vid, but I could see hitting speeds of well over 150 in the combined track! Holy crap, I need aero. I need aero. Did I say I need aero?

I know, I can't wait. I'm not sure if they will do this, but potentially if they are willing to run the tracks backwards, you could end up with 10 to 12 distinctly different full size race track configurations. Should be exciting times in the next couple of years.

Cheers,
Geoge

REDSLED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Definitely will! Lately I've been using Harry's Lap Timer, it works quite well. It overlays speed, throttle, RPM, a track map, and automatically dumps it right into my iPhone photo library. Pretty slick. Here's a video of my last run in the Camaro, to give you an idea:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324871
Great video. You really hustle that Camaro around that track. Next time you're at Buttonwillow let me know as it is my home track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_oLuQT9_s4 I'm in the red GTS. Never mind the spin at the end! :)

OP
OP
V

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great video. You really hustle that Camaro around that track. Next time you're at Buttonwillow let me know as it is my home track. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_oLuQT9_s4 I'm in the red GTS. Never mind the spin at the end! :)

Damn, that looked fun! And if you don't have an occasional off-track excursion, then you're not really pushing hard, LOL.

That didn't look like a typical HDPE event, was that some sort of race? I've gotten to the point that I can drive pretty quickly by myself with a wide open track, but I tend to get very cautious when it comes to passing. I typically pass on the straights, but I see you passing pretty much any where, LOL. That's a goal of mine, to figure out how to safely pass in more places on the track. I've had a few close calls with cars even in the advanced groups where they will unpredictably go offline towards me mid-pass.

I will be tracking Buttonwillow on Dec 21 - 22 in the Camaro, care to join me?

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Redsled, great video, do like the view from both. I should have reached out when I went to BW on the 20th, figured it out but had a learning curve. I'll post a track video with two offs here and on the alley Mike

bushido

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Awesome video Redsled. I still got the nice pic you sent me..:)

You must be registered for see images attach

Modded GTSs sounds awesome. I was thinking about turning mine into a race car,but you know since its a blue and white. I can't do it.. :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten