Anyone try the Race-Tech Meter or G-Tech

99 Sidewinder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to get a performance meter and was reading about the Race-Tech and the G-Tech and was curious if anyone has tried them and compared them to results at the drag strip?

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had the G-Tech Pro for the last 2 years. I took it to the drag strip and compared it on about 10 runs. It was on average showing .2 faster on the G-tech than my timeslip and about 5-10 MPH higher in the trap speed than my timeslip in the 1/4 mile. It is consistent though and is a pretty neat and inexpensive toy to play with. I use it to practice my launch techniques on the street.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep the G-tech is darn close. I've checked it about 15 times and it's always within .1 (usually .1 lower) than actual. The MPH is way off 8-9MPH too high. I would like to see a 60' and 0-100MPH times on the G-tech that would make it more useful on the street.

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My understanding is that the G-Tech Pro measures the trap speed at the moment your car crosses the 1/4 mile "mark", whereas at most dragstrips, the trap speed is actually the average speed of your final 100 feet. Or is that 60 feet?

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guibo:
My understanding is that the G-Tech Pro measures the trap speed at the moment your car crosses the 1/4 mile "mark", whereas at most dragstrips, the trap speed is actually the average speed of your final 100 feet. Or is that 60 feet?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the G-tech measures the MPH at the exact moment you reach the end of the 1/4 mile. But, the dragstrip measures it as the average MPH over the last 66 feet of the 1/4 mile. Or maybe the last 60 feet. Anyaways 60 feet or 66 feet not much diff. That is why the G-tech MPH is always 5-10 MPH more than your time slip will show.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The time difference is the G-Tech begins counting the moment the car moves whereas the clock does not start at the drag strip until your car breaks the beam after a small roll-out distnce. That is sufficient for a tenth or two. Comments about the trap speed vs speed at 1/4 are also true. My measurements have only differed by a couple mph though (always higher). Horsepower measurements have always seemed on the low side though. Anyone do a comparison of dyno to G-Tech?

Ron

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_