Anyone use a bullet/helmet cam for the track?

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was considering one of these for the track

http://www.viosport.com/store/customer/ourgear.php?page=ac3_overview

and mounting it either in the grill or on the top of the hood. Any thoughts on this product (seems a little spendy), the use of bullet cams or track videos generally?

What about the lens angle of view? Too many track videos I've seen don't seem convey the speed very well, which I suspect it attributable to lens angle of view (in addition to how high the camera is mounted). Any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple of thoughts.

To get a sense of speed, you really need to mount the camera low. The videos I've seen with a low mounted camera seem to have captured the speed of the car much better than anything I've seen that was mounted at the level of the driver's eyes.

If you mount it outside the car, low and facing forward, you should probably invest in some sort of plexiglass cover or filter to protect the lens. Every time I go to the track, my car gets pelted with small rocks, rubber chunks and other debris. It's ******* paint, and I would guess it would be ******* the lens of your camera.

I'd love to hear from other folks who have actually used such a camera set up.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
most in the UK run this fairly cheap setup

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/helmet_cameras.htm

we've gaffer taped the bullet cam in various positions over the years, centered on the roof is pretty cool facing forward and backward, on the fin of a rear wing facing forward, down low behind the front wheel gives a good sense of speed

These lens are pretty cheap so if you catch a rock its no big deal, there are different angles available to. *** had this camera on her roof hitting around 170 and there is little picture break up

ViperGMC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try www.chasecam.com . they have a similar bullet camera 480 lines though, same Sony Ex-View, little cheaper too. I use a 120Deg lens and it does a great job on showing speed and acceleration. Make sure you get a mic, the sound of the engine as so much to the video. I usually mount the camera on my front window just below the mirror. I have never been able to get a good video mounting the camera behind the seat on the roll bar. The cameras are small enough to mount on the side of the car using a suction mount, makes for cool effects, like Chuck did.

I use it primarily for improving my driving on the track. I study the lines and check where I am braking, so I can get better.

OP
OP
V

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions. I will certainly mount the camera low. Of course, after seeing Chuck's video, I'll want to mount it in various places and then cut-and-paste a video together... And add music. NICE video Chuck. :2tu: I'm leaning heavily towards the Viosport bullet cam due to all the available accessories, including five different lenses and natural density filters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery