Anyone use this washable oil filter?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is it any good?

Here's a link.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hopup1/troilfidovif.html

TRUFILTER, lifetime direct replacement washable oil filter, designed from 6061 T6 billet aluminum, this housing has a 1500 lb crush rate. The washable filter is a deep pleated, duplex woven, 35 micron surgical T304 stainless steel filter for superior washablity. A self sufficient, environmentally friendly oil filter. That not only creates more horsepower, but extends oil change intervals from 3000 to 7000 miles. With all of todays aftermarket performance parts, Consumers should not forget about the most vital part of the engine, “the oil filter”. This is the lifeline of your engine. Adding performance parts to your vehicles engine creates more pressure in the oil filter, this causing your oil filter to swell and compress, damaging oil seals and putting large stress figures on your oil pump. Average HP gains are 5-6. Also with the engine running more efficient, you should see an average of 1-2 mpg. TRUFILTER, filters your oil an absolute 35 micron with one pass, utilizing our “quad flow technology”. With an average install time of 5-10 minutes this kit comes complete with everything you need to do the install. All filters carry a complete lifetime warranty and are good forever. This Filter is also transferable to any vehicle by changing the main insert. This insert is free of charge from the manufacture. TRUFILTER is truly the last oil filter you will ever buy!

TRUFILTERs revolutionary design is made with T304 stainless steel media therefore allowing it to be reusable and cleanable. Unlike paper filters, the Billet aluminum exterior gives a polished appearance to your motor. Most paper filters only filter an average of 50-75 micron particles. TRUFILTER will stop anything to an absolute 35 micron. Remember, white blood cells are 25 micron. Paper filters have a “Bypass” that opens at 12 lbs of pressure. Most motors idle at 11lbs of pressure. At 12 lbs, the bypass opens and filtering stops. All of the dirt and metals are then sent back into your motor. Paper filters only filter 10-20% of their actual life. With TRUFILTER, oil changes can be extended to every 7,000 miles. This will save you time, energy and, most importantly, money.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Creates horsepower? Better fuel economy? Those are typical overblown, overused aftermarket claims.

Buuuutttt.... I'd question if the technical writer even knows what they are describing. Adding performance parts creates more pressure in the oil filter? I also question the bypass explanation. The bypass usually works on pressure differential, so that a plugged up dirty filter doesn't starve the engine - you get dirty oil, but at least you get oil! I think their explanation is backwards and full of hoo-hoo.

FANGS/Indiana

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've not seen or used this brand of reuseable filter but I use a lot of System One filters that are very similar. We have six BBC engines that we use in pulling tractors and we use System One filters on all of them. We like the fact that you can remove the filter and inspect it between passes to be sure nothing is going bad in the engine. Haveing said that I'm not sure if I would run one on my Vipers unless I were putting them on the track often. If you track your car a lot it could be a big plus as you could save an engine by being able to look to be sure your bearings aren't going away on you.

FANGS/Indiana

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can you even wash an OIL filter? Water and oil don't mix. You might as well use compressed air to clean it.

FANGS/Indiana

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We use our parts cleaning tank then blow them of with air. The great thing about this type filter is that you can see every speck of material that gets in there and if you have excessive wear in your engine it will show up in your filter and you see it and investigate for problems.

FANGS/Indiana

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score
I also have used the reusable filters and they are handy for checking for wear but I don't think I would use one on my Viper and I do track my car. That filter is a pain in the ass to change. I have a parts washer but cleaning that filter gets it dirty real fast. Those filters can be cleaned with engine cleaner but it is a time consuming and messy job. If I had an older vehicle that was subject to a lot of dust and dirt and the filter was easy to get at then I would use one.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get a good quality normal oil filter. Change it as often as you like. Every 500 miles if you want. They cost just about nothing.
You don't have to change the oil every time.

If you want to see what your filter has in it,
buy a filter cutter and open it up, it's easy.

I really don't have much confidence in the idea of cleaning out a 35 micron filter.

How are you going to get all those little 35 micron pieces out of the filter material?
Blow it out with air?
Look, if you can blow air through the filter what makes you think it will filter out 35 micron size chunks?

I see no reason at all for an oil filter that can be cleaned.
Well, perhaps if you lived in Cuba.

Other than that, it's a bad idea.