Anyone using Side Sill Vents?

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you should bring them up... I just put them on today.

They are $69 from Parts Rack. They are bare aluminum but I painted mine red like the car.

They only go at the front of the sill so they come as a pair.

The reason I got them is because my exhaust hanger up front as it enters the sill pulled off the exhaust (at Mid-America) and made a hole which then burnt the paint off my sill up front and cooked the black reinforced cardboard (or whatever the material is) at the front of the sill.

My sills really otherwise run cool with the high flow cats.

But, they look good (when painted) and I suspect they probably decrease the sill temp if that's a problem for you.

charlesj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow, that's a really good idea. too bad d/c didn't think about that when building the car. 10,000 toasted yellow side sills later. tell me gen3's fixed this problem. i haven't examined them closely, (whispering - i think they're ugly.) <- aaaahhhh plz don't stone me for that one, just my opinion & i do own a viper remember.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cal,
Send me your email address, I will send you a couple pictures and something that might be of interest to you relative to the side sill vents.
Later, my email below.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don,

Send em to me as well. [email protected]

I have Bellengers, hiflo cats and corsa and the front and first 9 inches gets hot still. Better than before but...

Thanks in advance,

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Most people I've see do this kind of mod just use some heavy-gauge screen-type material, instead of paying $70 for stamped aluminum pieces. You get a lot better airflow, also.

OP
OP
C

Cal Cobra

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don,

Send em to me too please: [email protected]

So we don't really know if they work or not seems to be the consensus, although it seems logical they would. It would also seem reasonable to have them in the front and back of each side sill so the air can pass thru (IMO).

I've heard that some of the Viper shops are taking the stock cats, which if you look at them, are actually two cats welded together, and taking one off, so they are shorter. That may help with the heat as well.

Cal

Jay Lopez

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same idea a few years ago and made something myself, but it was too fragile when hit by rocks. I pulled mine off and used the ones from Parks Rack and they worked much better. I left them the standard aluminum color and used a rivet gun to attach them. I did notice a cooler interior when on the track with the vents. I can't comment on the effects on the street since I don't drive on the street that often. I would recommend them to anyone.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing about the pieces from Parts Rack is that the vents are shaped to keep debris from entering the sills.

They are shrouded. This probably decreases air flow through them but keeps junk out of the sills.

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That makes sense Chuck.

I've thought about simply drilling a series of holes in the rear pieces.

Not concerned about getting junk in them like the fronts.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the rear ?? The rear is open to the inside, so not sure if holes, vents, or anything is necessary there, as the air will get out.
Later,

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Going another route. Thermotech now makes a micro-louver mesh type screen that is sold through jegs. Of course it is a big sheet that will probably have enough for both sides and both ends. Looks like it has small openings to keep debris out, but let the air flow. It sells for $39 a sheet.
Will let you know when it arrives.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had the same idea a few years ago and made something myself, but it was too fragile when hit by rocks. I pulled mine off and used the ones from Parks Rack and they worked much better. I left them the standard aluminum color and used a rivet gun to attach them. I did notice a cooler interior when on the track with the vents. I can't comment on the effects on the street since I don't drive on the street that often. I would recommend them to anyone.

Sills are wide-open at the rear, and therefore vents are not needed. An added BONUS is the lessening of heat-soak when parked. The normal convection of the hot cats pulls air into our louvre vents, and it exits the rear!

Yes, you could also hog-out the splash shields, and rivet in hardware cloth.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it was a bit rainy and muddy outside, would water splashing into the vents create any problems?
Good point. There is potential for more harm than good. What's on the menu today? Steamed legs!

hemibeep

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Water going in should not be a problem, there are elongated holes for drainage in the bottom of the sill. Also, many exhausts are stainless(factory and corsa for sure). I suppose that over time mud could become a concern, but the sills remove easy enough to clean inside.

Just have to let the heat out somehow!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte