Anyone using water wetter?

Tomas

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Åland Islands (Baltic Sea Hawaii), FINLAND
Hello everyone

Is there anyone who use water wetter here? I red that it reduces coolant temperatures by as much as 30 degrees Fahrenheit? Is that true? Is it good or bad for the engine/cooling system? Is it just RedLine who has this product?

regards

Tomas

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
30 degrees, no way.

If I were in a non freezing climate, I'd use Zerez Racing Super coolant. Does not have antifreeze properties but has all the corrosion protection. Runs much cooler.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used it on my '94 RT/10, but can't recall any temp change.

Bill B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10 degree drop is about rite. I run, in SOUTH FLORIDA about 85/15 with water wetter and a zinc pop. I change it twice a year and have no corrosion issues.
I wouldn't try this in a cold climate the chance of freezing isn't worth it.

HOLD TYTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run two bottles and distilled water in the summer.. 10 degree drop..

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Zerex Racing Coolant is used in NASCAR. It was originally developed for the Navy Seals boats in tropical climates where engines would overheat. It only has corrosion protection. It does not have ethlyne glychol (I know I butchered the spelling of that) which has 50% less cooling capacity as straight water. The drawback is that you cannot let it freeze.

My dad used it in a 69 M Code 440 Six Pack Roadrunner. It instantly dropped the temp about 10 degrees. Why? Because he only used distilled water with it. It has the corrosion protection to allow that but the elimination of the Ethlyne Glychol reduced the temp.

I'm not sure how water wetter used with a 50/50 mix could accomplish this. It doesn't make sense. Until someone gives a scientific explaination, I'd use Zerex.

Tomas, It's not just driving, you can't let this freeze if it's just sitting in the block. This isn't a big deal here in Michigan because you drain it and store the car for the winter and go back to it in the spring. I just on Google and came up with a billion hits. Interesting that the first site says,
Improves thermal transfer (may be mixed with WaterWettter as well for even better thermal transfer)

Red Mist Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm using it and have noticed some change in temp. I might add, that after a couple years of high temps in my '93 vette I started using it and it worked great--I really noticed the difference with that car. Anyway, I tend to agree with the others that it probably cools the Viper down about 10 degrees. Additionally, I use it in my daily driver (a Toyota). Lastly, I recall once reading about it here on this VCA page (I think?) and someone posted it wasn't good for the seals (NFI). I don't know if that's true or not, but for now I've had pretty good success with it in a variety of different cars. I may put in one more bottle, as I think the two bottle idea sounds pretty good--it gets pretty hot around here in the summer. Good luck.

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I live in Florida. I run it in most my cars, 5-10 f degree drop. Not sure how it would do in freezing temps, but in the winter here it will get into the 30s -40s at night, never have seen a problem.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
There was a false report locally here in So Cal, that it corroded the block, but that was shown to be in error, because the coolant system in the affected car just had water, and water wetter, but no ethylene glycol, or any other corrosion inhibitors. But because he used water wetter, some people jumped on that angle, and blew the facts out of shape.

I just mentioned that in case you hear it too, you will know where that story came from, and ignore it.

I've had water wetter in my GTS for about two years now, and it runs slightly cooler, and no corrosion noted!

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run Watter Wetter in my last 3 F-bodies, and have it in the Viper now. It dropped about 10 degrees from the system. It has no anti corrosion properties, hence the need to mix it with your normal antifreeze. The way it reduces temps is it acts as a surfacant, and breaks up/reduces the tiny air bubbles that are always present in the cooling system. Since the coolant works more effectively, the temp goes down slightly.
:cool:
Class dismissed.
;)

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic and Sam,

The back of the WaterWetter bottle says "Water Wetter provides excellent corrosion protection for modern cast iron, aluminum and brass systems."

The side of the bottle says "reduces rust, corrosion and electrolysis."

I can see why the affected engine owner, using Water Wetter and only water, would be curious about what happened.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are trying to reduce temps by using water wetter, why the heck would you mix it with antifreeze for corrosion protection when you know the Zerex Racing coolant has corrosion protection but runs cooler?

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom-Oops, you are correct, I just looked at the spare bottle in the garage.
:)
I must have been too tired to be typing last night.
;)