Apex & StopTech - Car & Driver Results

StopTech Service

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just rec'd a faxed copy of the Car & Driver "Supercar Challenge" article. The Apex Lethal 750 Viper got great marks for their horsepower and drivability. They also kicked every front engine car, and most of the others in the place with their braking!

"Apex upgraded the brakes with a $5995 kit from StopTech, which then posted the best stopping distance of any Viper in the test (670.8 feet)." - Car & Driver

The only better stopping results were rear engine and mid-engine cars. Apex was 3rd overall in 150-0 braking.

Thanks to Apex for your confidence in our products, and congratulations on a great showing!

- The folks at StopTech

OP
OP
S

StopTech Service

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the $5995 is a bit misleading. The price of a 4-wheel big brake kit is $4995. We use the stock rear caliper from a 1992-2000 Viper as the parking brake caliper for all model years. If the vehicle is a 2001+ model (ABS equipped), earlier rear calipers must be supplied. As we can not buy them at a favorable price, we had decided to add $1000.00 to the list price if we supplied them. That is the pricing listed in the article.

What is more common is 2001+ customers pay $4995 and source out their own early model calipers. Our Viper distributors are typically able to supply stock rear calipers at a much more reasonable price than we can. There is also a race only version with no parking brake bracket that is $4495.

OK, so what does it take to knock around 100 feet off your 150 MPH stop?

We supply our own ST-40 four piston calipers front and rear. The piston sizes are different in the front and rear calipers, specifically designed to balance out the Viper using the stock master cylinder with no other modifications to the stock brake system. The caliper has our Patented bolt-in stiffening bridge that makes the caliper 2X stiffer in terms of deflection under pressure. We use a common pad design, which is available in many different compounds at a cost typically below a pad of the same compound for a racing type caliper.

The kit has 355 x 32mm front rotors and 328 x 28mm rear rotors. Typically 18" wheels are required for the front while the smaller but effective rear rotor allows the use of some 16" wheels (2" wider Goodyear rear slicks anyone?) The rotors are our high airflow AeroRotor design, which flow more air than any rotor we could find to test against. The rotors are mounted to 7075 T6 billet aluminum hats using a full floating drive pin attachment method and Inconel stainless steel spring washers to eliminate warping and rattling. Aluminum brackets with precision ground stainless studs and aircraft quality Jet nuts attach the calipers to the uprights.

The kit has our own stainless steel lines front and rear. The front lines feature a unique bracket that follows the same routing as the stock brake line, eliminating the chance of interference with any suspension components as can happed with too log a line. All our lines are made in-house and are DOT compliant. Though not a requirement for DOT certification, we 100% pressure test our lines to 4500 psi. Our lines also feature a clear plastic coating over the stainless braid to eliminate abrasion and fraying (and red spotted fingertips).

All kits come with high performance street pads and extensive, well-documented installation instructions and our industry leading customer service and support.

Hopefully that answers what our kit is all about. If you have any other questions about our StopTech brake components or brakes in general, please get in touch with us.

Best Regards,

Matt Weiss
StopTech
[email protected] www.stoptech.com

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats it cost to upgrade a Big brake front package to 4 wheels?
I already have your fronts...

FYI - I'm a 2000 (non ABS) car.

Bad Asp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stoptech-
I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you guys for the excellent customer service.I ordered a set of SS brake lines to be installed with a set of Eradispeed rotors. That afternoon, my tech called and told me that one of the brake lines would not seat. I called JonB and he gave me the number for Mr. Lee at Stoptech. I called him and told him the situation. By this time it was 4:50 PM. He called the tech, and called me back saying that he would stop by FedEx on his way home to make sure that the parts got out for overnight delivery. My tech had the parts by 10:00 AM the next morning and "Sonja" was ready by noon. Customer service like that is hard to find these days! Muchas Gracias to JonB at Partsrack and Bob? Lee at Stoptech.

Bobbo in San Diego

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
I just finished reading the article. I'm actually shocked at just how bad the article was.

I mean come on... 12.6 seconds for the TNT 555, 12.4 for the HMS thing. A stock Viper runs better than that.

Anyways... back to the subject, the StopTech brakes look like they kicked butt. Care to finance me a set?
smile.gif

K Adelberg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using the 4-wheel kit for racing for over a year now. Its really awesome! I know several others who have had other kits and switched to the Stop Tech set up. There are a few tracks where speeds near 150 mph are seen before stomping on the brake pedal. Its nice to know we can brake as well as even some of the Porsches we race. Customer service is second to none!

Thanks Stop Tech!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love your brake system. But I don't understand why you used Paul Mumford's Viper in the add instead of mine, you wanted someone who's fast, that's me
laugh.gif

BTW most of us use Brakeman 3 pads.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bugeater:
Whats it cost to upgrade a Big brake front package to 4 wheels? I already have your fronts... FYI - I'm a 2000 (non ABS) car. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, the awesone StopTech 4-wheel upgrade is NOT the same as a 2-wheel kit plus a rear add on. The 4-wheel kit is engineered to work with the stock prop valve and booster, and the rear half should NOT be added to your 2-wheel front kit. Only the included stainless lines and pads are interchangeable.

Customer service: When we (or our customers) need help from both of the Big Brake Boys whose names begin with a B, you MIGHT get a callback in 2-14 days. StopTech service is measured in MINUTES.....but better yet, StopTech stopping power matches or exceeds the B-Boys whose similiar kits are Thou$and$ more.

Congrats on the great press....

If your used system is in excellent condition, PartsRack accepts TRADES!

OP
OP
S

StopTech Service

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SoCal-

We asked the photographer at the Open Track Challance for pix of your car, but he said he didn't have a camera with a fast enough shutter speed to get a non-blurry image! He also said all the shots only showed the back half of the car as he couldn't pan fast enough... so we had to use Paul's car instead.

-Matt

OT Challenge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only shots of Socal were of him chasing track workers at Thunderhill.
smile.gif

Ron, you need to rig up the Grand Cherokee with a StopTech 4-wheel kit in case Dearing sends you on another Desert Bonzai Run.

Reaction score
SlowCreamCheese, we worked with Matt at StopTech to come up with the ideal pad for our test. Our criteria was a grippy pad that would work well for the street portion (driveability was very important!) but that would be agressive enough for the repeated 150-0mph testing. We all agreed that the Pagid "Orange" pads would fit the bill, and they did!
Whoah, are those my eyeballs on the dashboard?!?
dead.gif

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems like Stoptech would create an upgrade package for those of us who have all ready spent $2300 on the front brake kit. The 4 wheel kit uses ST40 calipers and we also have ST40 calipers for the front only kit.

I read the Stoptech web site and one of the bragging points was interchangeable pistons that allow the ST40 calipers to be used with all kinds of cars - apparently they aren't adjustable enough to get re-sized pistons so that our current calipers can be used as part of a 4 wheel upgrade.

I know I won't be spending an additional $5000 on brakes....

Jim

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StopTech Service:
SoCal-

We asked the photographer at the Open Track Challance for pix of your car, but he said he didn't have a camera with a fast enough shutter speed to get a non-blurry image! He also said all the shots only showed the back half of the car as he couldn't pan fast enough... so we had to use Paul's car instead.

-Matt

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

laugh.gif
ROTFLMFAO
laugh.gif

Oh god Matt you kill me
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

OP
OP
S

StopTech Service

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim-

A bit of clarification. We do not state caliper pistons are "interchangeable", we state they are sized specifically for each platform. ST-40 is the designation we use for all our 4-piston calipers regardless of piston sizes. If interchangeable is stated, let me know where it appears on the site so we can change it. We start off with the caliper castings, and when we machine them, they become a dedicated size as far as what piston diameters will be used. We have to project what kits we think will sell, and machine the calipers accordingly.

Once the decision is made and the caliper is cut, we cannot change the piston size.

The precision tolerances that need to be held on the piston bores and piston seal grooves are critical to caliper performance. If sleeved, the bore would need to be refinished and a seal groove machined. Even the detail that retains the dust boot is dedicated to a specific bore diameter. Finally, add to it the labor time to disassemble, re-assemble and re-test the caliper and it would not add up to a cost effective strategy.

If we were able to interchange piston sizes, our life would be a whole lot easier. As it is, with our decision to make piston bores specifically for each platform, we have added a lot of complexities to our manufacturing and inventory strategies. Is it worth it? We think so, and our customers seem to think so as well. The better balance of our systems and quality and value of our products is continuing to prove itself on and off the track.

Let me know if I still need to provide any clarification, I’m happy to do so.

Matt Weiss
StopTech

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt, thanks for your response. I am actually quite happy with your original front only kit with 13 in rotors. The braking performance is sustantially better then stock for my occasional track days.

Do you have any comments on the difference in braking performance between the 4 wheel and two wheel kits? Also, can I move to a 14 inch front rotor with my current kit and do you think that would provide any improvement?

Jim

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob or Matt,
The stoptech brochure for the front wheel only Viper setup with 13" rotors quotes the following data:

Using stock (MXX3,275F/335R)
tires and our standard front Big Brake Kit, the following stopping distances were recorded (we use the STALKER®
radar system used by most automotive performance magazines):
Test Results:
• 60 - 0 113 feet versus 155 feet (source R&T 7-98)
• 80 - 0 202 feet versus 278 feet (source R&T 7-98)
• 100 - 0 315 feet versus 353 feet (source MT 8-00)

Is there any advantage to going to the 4 wheel setup?

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed and honest response Bob. Your company is a class act. The 4 wheel kit does look great.