Archer and 6 other Vipers set to compete this Friday in the SCCA Run-Offs

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the afternoon of Friday, Sept. 21, 2001, a total of 7 T1 Vipers will compete in a field of 24 cars driven by the country’s best amateur and professional racers in equally prepared T1 Corvettes. THIS IS THE ULTIMATE VIPER/VETTE WAR!!!

The event is the T1 class National Championship race in the SCCA Valvoline Run-Offs at the Mid-Ohio SportsCar Course in Lexington, OH. Competing in this prestigious race on behalf of the Viper community will be 1999 Speedvision GT Champion Bobby Archer, Archer’s protégé Dr. Deborah Loth, Tom Lyons, Morgan Reese, Henry “Chip” VanVurst, and defending T1 Champion Fred Baker, who won the race last year in a Porsche. A complete listing of the T1 entrants as well as the schedule of racing for the entire week of the Run-Offs may be found at http://www.scca.org/amateur/club_racing/runoffs/entry.html

If you are interested coming to Mid-Ohio on 9/21 to watch these Viper pilots compete for the T1 National Championship, contact Rich Wesorick at 216-921-2027(h), 216-621-2234(w), or at [email protected]. Several rep's from Dodge and Team Viper will be there to watch the battle unfold.

Depending on the number of interested VCA members, we may be able to set-up a Viper Corral at the track, as well a VCA post-race happy hour (victory celebration?).

For those of you who have contacted me already, we will notify you next week of specific plans for Friday.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick, there is more to this event for Viper Owners than just the T-1 race. Our own John Fernandez of PVO (Team Viper) will be contesting for the Championship in SSC class with his Hoosier/Skytech sponcored 2001 Neon. John captured the Midwest Regional championship a few weeks ago and is geared up for a good result at the run-offs. Last year he crossed the line first but was disqualified when some had his car disqualified because of a front fascia. John contested that it was stock but it had been repaired after an accident earlier so it drooped a bit. John is seeking revenge.

If anyone is interested in seeing the new Viper Competition Coupe in person than you don't want to miss the action at Mid-Ohio. I heard from a very reliable source that the car will be at the Run-Offs. I am not sure what day(s) it will be displayed but you can bank on it being there. If I don't make it can someone shoot a role of film of the car for me. I will reimburse you for your trouble. Just let me know who will do it. No digital stuff as I don't know what to do with those images.

Wing King

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope all of you reasonably close will come out and give a boost to our fellow Viper representatives. We're pulling extra hard for our fellow region member, Bobby Archer, who's undefeated this year in T1. He's not only a great driver, but a wonderful family man, excellent instructor, and generous supporter of the VCA and our region in particular.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm grasping at things to try to feel positive about, and shake off some of the last few day's deep depression. Wish I could be there to see a good clean race with great sportsmanship from ALL of the drivers.

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score
Is there going to be any TV coverage of this event?

I would love to come out and watch it, but other things prevent this from happening.

Thanks

OP
OP
R

Rich Wesorick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don:

Yes, there will be video of the race that will be shown on Speedvision. Not sure yet if it will be aired live on Friday though.

As always, we'll try to keep this Board informed of progress and any broadcast dates.

Rick:

The Comp. Coupe coming to the Run-Offs - YES!!! I can't wait to see it. Ben (Madey) is coming in from Chicago to watch the race and I'm sure he'll be excited to see it as well.

I'll take plenty of pictures...

Rich Wesorick
ViperSpeed Racing