Archer Headers

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Byron, agree that exhaust mods (headers in particular) do not seem to be boosting the HP as before. My comment was to the past references that the '00 and '01 Vipers stock are not as strong as in the past. BTW I will be putting a 3 inch Corsa Cat-back on and redyno. Not expecting much, Corsa claims an additional 18 RWHP - I'd be happy if I got 5.

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OH YA THE RICE BURNER.REAL NICE!BYRON ARE U GONNA PUT A NEAT CUSTOM PAINTED PICTURE OF THE INTERCEPTER CAR FROM MAD MAX AND BEYOND THE THUNDER DOME ON THE SIDES OF YOUR NEW HORSE TRAILER?THAT WOULD LOOK COOL AND I THINK THE CHICKS WOULD DIG IT.DID U DO A TIME SHARE PROGRAM ON THE NEW HORSE TRAILER WITH LARRY M AND GARY L?NOW HERES WHAT U NEED TO THINK ABOUT GOOD BUDDY.PRAY TO GOD THAT I RED LIGHT AND U WIN BY ERROR BECAUSE THATS THE ONLY WAY U CAN WIN.HAVE A NICE DAY!CAPS KOERNER P.S.THE TEXAS BAD BOYS WILL HAVE JUST FOR U A SUPRA TO RUN YOUR SUPRA.IM LOOKING FORWARD TO RUNNING YOUR PERFORMANCE MOTORSPORTS VIPER.

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Norm, I see you edited your post and now you are running scared of my "Rice Burning" Supra...

Well, I can't blame you. Your good buddy John Hennessey has been dodging Marko's (aka white Supra) Supra for a long time now and I'll be there with the same setup he's got! The only difference is that Larry has got a little something extra we are gonna through in just for fun.

Maybe if John can get that 800TT running... he would like to get a little taste of the Samurai Warrior as well? If so, we will have the Video camera's rolling for that one.

You girls in Texas better break out your check books and start turning some wrenches. Because we are gonna bring it to you baby.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SNAKE EYES YOU LOSE!:
.DID U DO A TIME SHARE PROGRAM ON THE NEW HORSE TRAILER WITH LARRY M AND GARY L?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's this time share thing? Gary, Larry, can I get in on this?

TX WHOS YOUR DADDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BYRON,I NOTICED U DIDNT EDIT YOUR POST......ITS STRONGER NOT STROGER.YOU MY FRIEND ARE LIVING TOO CLOSE TO DISNEYLAND.IT HAS EFFECTED YOUR PERCEPTION AS WHAT IS REAL AND WHAT IS NOT.WELL THATS OKAY STAY IN FANTASYLAND AND KEEP DREAMING THE SAME DREAM.I KNOW IT WORKS FOR U ON A DAY TO DAY BASIS.BRING YOUR VIPER,SUPRA,NITROUS LAWNMOWER,SHERMAN TANK,NEW HORSE TRAILER,WHATEVER.WE WILL HAVE A CUSTOM TAILORED PROGRAM FOR EACH AND PROMISE U GREAT ENTERTAINMENT ON YOUR OCTOBER REALITY CHECK DAY IN THE LONE STAR STATE.KINDEST REGARDS!CAPS KOERNER

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, even my sister could drive my automatic Supra down the 1/4 mile fast enough to take Norm out.

You guys must really be getting nervous. But don't worry... we will be there with video camera's rolling.

Because I promise you there will be more than one Kodak moment at this event.

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Norm,

Based on your ability to drive... or should I say, "lack of ability to drive". I figure it's all your gonna be able to do to stay out of the guard rail.

Bring what ever you got... I am sure you will end up beating yourself.

PS - My rice burner will be laying down 790+ to the rear wheels. And it has been designed for nothing else but the 1/4 mile.

Fear Me...

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahem... Back to the header subject and the '00's, '01's:

I am definitely no Einstein on internal combustion engines and certainly not on our wonderful Viper motors, so bear with me: With the more aggressive, "lumpy" cams on the '96-'99's, doesn't that mean they are probably opening the valves more or for a longer duration? With the smoother and more quiet '00+, I would guess that the cam is not letting in as much air to burn, thus the headers are less effective - less in, less out. With the earlier motors it would seem that the cars had plenty of air coming in but needed better exhaust to move it out.

Of course, this is a completely off the cuff guess using my 10th grade auto shop class as my background. I will say that the '00's, especially the earlier ones, seemed to be pretty strong out of the box. I ran 414 rwhp bone stock and 436 rwhp with tubes, filters, and rear muffler delete. Debated headers, but can't justify the cost for 8-16 hp that seems to be the norm for the new cam profile.

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finding fault with the point BLS is making is like shooting ******** fish in a barrel full of molasses. I thought everybody was talking about racing VIPERS, not other cars. Guess I could build up a 7 sec doorslammer and start threatening the Lone Star Viper contingent with certain quarter mile annihilation, huh?

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all who have been concerned with the combo of headers, exhaust systems, etc. Larry/PerformanceMS installed the CDI/Jet Hot coated headers on my 2001 GTS as well as the 3 inch Corsa system with no cats. We were dissapointed with the results. Was it the headers, I think not. Was it the exhaust system, maybe. We are going to install Borla's 3 inch system on my 2001 in the next week and test it on the chasis dyno to see if there are any significant changes. Also, no changes have yet been made to the filters or inlet tubes. I really think much of the loss of expected power is in the 2000-2001 cam profile and ECM configuration to smooth out the idle and eliminate much of the neutral gear rattle the earlier GTS model experienced. By the way the headers that Archer Racing sells are Caldwell headers. We also provide these headers for customers at PerformanceMS. Stand by for some news from us on a new package that we will be offering at a resonable price for Viper owners in our area. I forgot to mention that my GTS was still equiped with stock filters and inlet tubes. Considering this, if we had put a pair of K&N's and smooth inlet tubes on before the test, we should have made more HP and Torque.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, "******** fish in a barrel of molasses", LOL. Were you also the author of "one eyed quadriplegic etc" ? Forgot the rest.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 97 GTS:
shooting ******** fish
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Chuck, what's the matter with you? Don't you know you can offend some people with talk like that? They are not "********" they are "mentally challenged." Sheesh.

BLS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kyle,

Listen fat boy... I don't need to talk to you. But, I will solve your riddle.

The answer is: a Turbo Trans Am

Now go back to the all you can eat buffet and have another round on me.

HouseofSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm...I think that it is highly possible for the PCM to be the culprit in this dilemma, but until we can get someone to crack the hex on both a 99 and a 00-01 PCM, we won't really know if the tables and modifiers are truly that different. There are many other examples of this same phenomena with other performance cars....in fact, the owners of 01 Lightnings are complaining that their trucks don't respond like a 99-00 to the same mods. Part of that stems from the upgrades that Ford made on the 01...bigger MAF, different lower intake, gear change, etc...and accordingly, the tune for the PCM is different. Granted, the Viper did not experience any radical departures in terms of engineering from 98-01...but, there is zero chance that a minute cam profile change would have the impact suggested.

Now...onto the underlying smack found within this post...BLS, you are the unknown element in this contest. If you decide to show up, then we find out how good you, well.. at least your checkbook, are at the performance game. If you don't show up, everybody knows that you were just trolling and the 77 LTD you really drive couldn't make the trip out of your driveway..much less to Texas.

I just wanted to let you know that I believe in you man...if you put your mind to it, anything is possible....you keep reaching for the stars and chasing those rainbows....seize the day BLS.

Almost forgot....here's a riddle for you....What is a Pontiac, powered by Buick, and driven by Ford that is capable of dragging your Samurai down the track??? Hint..it too has six pistons and a BIG turbo....for the answer, come to Texas in late October. Adios muchacho.