Are All Vipers Created Equal

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats awesome you picked up your boy in a viper from school, its a great day for you and him :2tu:

JohnnyV, I tell you it was one of those Priceless moments that i'll never forget & i'm sure he won't either. I mean when he finally got in the car & he looked at me & I've never seen a grin that big it my life, it was definitely priceless. All these things everybody has been saying is right, this thing is AWESOME. It just demands Respect, I mean are you supposed to be a lil' intimidated by this thing. I can tell you it is like night & day between it & my Porsche. This thing is just a different kind of WOW.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My first Viper was a 2000 GTS steel Gray . Gorgeous color and great car . One of the contributing factors of buying my dream car . Was due to the load of confidence I got, from reading the forums . That the Viper is such a bullet proof car .
A mountain knowledge amongst the members here . All very willing to help with any info you need . When I recieved my car off the truck . It was missing the power steering cap .
I had zero issues with the car while I owned it . First mod I would make is replace the tires if they are originals . Congrats on the car take it easy until you learn how she bites :)

The PS cap was missing becasue some fluid-monkey did a cursory check of fluids just before sale and transport, and PUT THE CAP ON LOOSE! PS caps go away almost immdiately after SOMEONE checks the PS Fluid!

Check YOUR newly-delivered car for a loose cap!

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys I'm still trying to learn how to post these pics, but if you want to see my car you can go to teammotorsports.com & its the 2000 steel gray rt/10 they actually still have it up for now.

markk

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Guys I'm still trying to learn how to post these pics, but if you want to see my car you can go to teammotorsports.com & its the 2000 steel gray rt/10 they actually still have it up for now.

I looked at that car (online) when I was checking out the Cognac interiors. I remember the "1-owner who moved" explanation. That is a beauty.

I can imagine your son's reaction. My daughter (10) has already requested a ride to school when mine arrives and my youngest son (7) wants a ride to his soccer game. Not to get sappy here, but my dad always tells me about things when I was young and he seems quite happy to have had the memorable experience. You picking up your son will likely be one of those experiences for you.

Good luck with it and stay safe.

Wolfc2e

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking good!!

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking good!!

Thanks Guys & Wolfc2e for posting the pics, the car really does look as good as the pics, i couldn't believe it. you know anything can look good in pics but i really looked it over when it got here & it is what it looks like it is. dummy me was trying to get the trunk to stay up while i was taking out the rag top (thought the hinges were broke) then i saw the lil' rod that you have to extend. any other little surprises i should know up front (HaHa) can't wait till tomorrow so i can go cruisin, oh yea my son wanted to know if i was gonna take him to school in the Viper in the morning also.:drive:

01rt10outlaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
awesome and congrats, still getting used to all the attention I get in my viper(got her in April 2010}.My kids too 13/7 love getting picked up in the viper, the teacher love it too

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was driving my GTS and I picked up my 16 year old daughter in the Park over the weekend where she was hanging out with a bunch of her friends. I think it really made her feel special. There probably aren't too many other cars that have the affect that a Viper does on her generation. Made me think back to when she and her older sister were little and we raced Fly Vipers and other cars on the 1:32 slot layout and played Gran Tourismo on the big 36" tube TV. They always wanted to be the Viper. Her friends looked as if they saw BigFoot or the Lochness monster or something... Total disbelief...

pgbeek

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Last year I purchased my first Viper 2000 RT/10 with 3,700 miles
on it. I never drove any sort of muscle car in the past so all
this power & torque is new. You will love this car!!
Although I'm 54 when I slip into the seats and turn the stereo on
and cruise down the road I feel like 18 again. Its my fountain of youth. The other day at a car show a cute young couple came up to me and the girl fell in love with the car and asked if she could go for a ride. The boyfriend joking asked for the keys and joking I said sorry its just a two seater. Since this spring I've put on approx. 4500 miles with one trip to North east (2,000) miles.
I did find out that my transmission seal leaked and Chuck Tator
fixed for me and changed fluid levels. Oh the car show, I won best in show for 1985 and up. Loved beating all of them Mustang's.!!
Even though I feel like 18 I do respect the power of this car.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your state allows, lose the cats.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I've heard both sides but what are the drawbacks or pluses. Seems like i remember somebody saying something about an odor & eyes watering, etc... but i've always thought it was better to do away with them but i'd rather get some more opinions. By the way i dropped my kid off this morning at school & the kids were fighting (playful) about who would help carry my sons backpack (he has a mild case of CP) he's definitely in hog heaven. I was thinkin about takin my car & get it checked out by a mechanic. I got it from dealership but do you think it would be good to get it inspected to make sure everything is up to *****. I was also wanting to go ahead & do some of the basic mods while its there, does anyone have any ideas what should be the absolute first ones done. Thanks

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is an exhaust smell but never had my eyes water from it. Gen2 has the rear exitinn exhaust so its not nearly as noticeable as the gen1.

Cool sills and much less cabin heat are worth it

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm brain dead...for some reason I thought yours was a side exhaust, but after seeing the pictures, it's alive again. I can tell you that I went with Belanger headers, Random Tech cats and the Corsa exhaust. It sounds freakin' awesome. It's not a cheap mod, but it's only money ;).

Again, there are a small handful of choices for headers, cats and exhaust systems...all have been debated ad nauseam and can be found using the 'search' function...good luck :2tu:.

Cabin heat is non-existent and the rocker panels are much cooler.

You will get numerous opinions about the cats. Removing them isn't an option in a lot of states...I don't know about Louisiana. Mine is rear exhaust, maybe some side exhaust guys will chime in here about whether to remove them or not.

If you replace them, there are numerous options for replacing the cats...you will find the answers by using the 'Search' function on the forums. See this thread for more info on using the features on this forum...

The Basics - Step By Step Instructions On How To Use The VCA Web Forums

The consensus, IMHO, has been that the wrap is not the best idea. Again, hopefully some of the side-pipe guys will chime in with upgraded exhaust choices. Most of us have an idea of what we want our viper to sound like, and that drove our decision.

Again, this is a choice for you to make. Viper purists will rip you for trying to bling up YOUR viper, but just ignore there blah blah ;). I've got the 20/19 combination on mine and I think it looks awesome. I do plan on lowering mine a bit, but not too crazy as my driveway is slanted the roads out here in Colorado get a lot of damage due to the constant freezing/thawing.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is an exhaust smell but never had my eyes water from it. Gen2 has the rear exitinn exhaust so its not nearly as noticeable as the gen1.

Thanks Plumcrazy, what do you recommend to replace with, is there one exhaust better than others, mufflers (don't want it real loud, just a good Purrrr) it sounds pretty good now i think its probably stock though. If it gets too loud wife not likkie, son probably likkie much.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm brain dead...for some reason I thought yours was a side exhaust, but after seeing the pictures, it's alive again. I can tell you that I went with Belanger headers, Random Tech cats and the Corsa exhaust. It sounds freakin' awesome. It's not a cheap mod, but it's only money ;).

Again, there are a small handful of choices for headers, cats and exhaust systems...all have been debated ad nauseam and can be found using the 'search' function...good luck :2tu:.

Cabin heat is non-existent and the rocker panels are much cooler.

Venom, those seem to be popular choices. Why are headers for these cars so expensive & if i take my car to get it checked out would this be a good time to go ahead & get these things done now. Is it better for me to order these things or let them do it.
Are the short shifters worth it & i've had a few different opinions about the FIPK & k&n, smooth tubes, etc...Thanks Guys

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This issue with the odor comes up over and over again. I've been driving since 1976:omg: and have had at least 15 to 20 pre-1974 cars none of which had catalytic converters or fuel injection or electronic ignition. I can recall being in traffic and for people that remember the gas lines during the Carter years when 90% of the cars on the road were Catless and it was never an issue and those older cars burned real dirty back then. Having grown up with 2 stroke motorcycles and outboards and all of these older cars maybe I'm just more tolerant. OK... Traffic in the Lincoln Tunnel could get pretty bad but that's about it...

Passenger cars and light trucks are pretty much the only place you see catalytic converters on 4stroke engines despite all of the numerous other applications. I've done about 500 miles in my car since the Cats came off and I really think the odor thing is much ado about nothing. I would suggest just replacing them with straight pipes and doing the spark plug non-fouler sensor mod like a lot of folks here and if you don't like it you can always go back and install high flow cats.

I took Plum's advice and don't see myslef looking back...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thats the way I need it, Simplified, Alot of that info makes so much since but you know sometimes its like that old saying "you can't see the forest in front of you because of the trees" now i kind of see it in a whole new perspective. It makes you wonder just how much someone would be missing out on if they weren't on this forum. Let me ask you this, I've been riding around for about an hour today & i get home & the pipes are not hot at all, is there someway to check & see if maybe the previous owner did something to the pipes to make them a little cooler. The shifting in this car is unreal, how could you possibly miss a gear.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That is one beautiful Viper, good job.

DO REPLACE the aluminum-shafted gear lever with the cognac leather ball attached. Save it as a heavy-wear item. Go to MGW LTD., INC. - CNC Machined and Turned Parts. Accessories for the Corvette, Mustang, and Viper and spend $85 on their Gripper or First Strike Short Throw Shifter KNOB of your choice. It makes the hand-travel-throw feel much shorter, and takes 5 minutes to replace. The knob ends up just above the leather boot shown below. Most drivers never need the $299 shifter and all the associated labor.

If your wifee does not like ratty loud and popping, choose HiFlow cats, NOT catless. I challenge anyone catless to run your car in your closed garage for 3 minutes, and see what catless does to clothes, hair, and atmosphere. STINKY! Indisputable fact. And yes, 92-95 and 03-10 sidepipers are just closer to nose and hair, so 'proximal stink' is worse.

Somone above said: 'If your state allows it, go catless.' Note: Catless on modern-era cars is illegal in all 50 states, but seldom enforced in most of them.

Last edited:

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the stock cats you wouldn't be able to hold your hand on the front part of the sills after 15 or 20 minutes. I bought a laser thermometer and then wound up never using it. I figured I could see the difference in temperature at various spots along the sills. I have to get around to seeing what temperature they are now.

Amazon.com: General Tools IRT203 Infared Thermometer with Laser Sighting: Home Improvement

Thats the way I need it, Simplified, Alot of that info makes so much since but you know sometimes its like that old saying "you can't see the forest in front of you because of the trees" now i kind of see it in a whole new perspective. It makes you wonder just how much someone would be missing out on if they weren't on this forum. Let me ask you this, I've been riding around for about an hour today & i get home & the pipes are not hot at all, is there someway to check & see if maybe the previous owner did something to the pipes to make them a little cooler. The shifting in this car is unreal, how could you possibly miss a gear.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have the stock cats you wouldn't be able to hold your hand on the front part of the sills after 15 or 20 minutes. I bought a laser thermometer and then wound up never using it. I figured I could see the difference in temperature at various spots along the sills. I have to get around to seeing what temperature they are now.

Amazon.com: General Tools IRT203 Infared Thermometer with Laser Sighting: Home Improvement

Well I drove my car for at least an hour & when i got back home i could put my hand on the sills, they were warm but not hot hot at all & i really haven't noticed any real heat in the cabin yet. I live in la. & you know how hot & humid it gets here. on that site JonB put up (MGWLTD) which shifter knobs does most go with for just everyday driving. And thats another thing why do people say that these cars are definitely not everyday driving cars, I cannot imagine what its like to live up north & have to put it up for the winter & not be able to drive it for 3-4 months out of the year. Theres no way i would put it out in the snow & bad weather, it won't even see rain now, unless i get caught in it.

SlateEd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just got my Car in today just in time to go pick up my boy (shane he's 13) from school & needless to say guess who had a grin ear to ear on his face. And as all of you probably already know everybody was going nuts over the car & shane was all of a sudden "The Man". I promise as soon as i figure out how to post the pictures i will, probably tonight after the wife gets home.

Congrats!!! Really nice Viper, and of course I'm partial to shades of gray.
I picked up my 10 yr old cousin from a BMX race last summer and he got all kinds of attention from his friends for that!

and ditto on TIRES be sure they're close to new and soft before you experiment with the right foot!

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom, those seem to be popular choices. Why are headers for these cars so expensive

Almost everything that is aftermarket for these cars is expensive ;).

& if i take my car to get it checked out would this be a good time to go ahead & get these things done now. Is it better for me to order these things or let them do it.

I would definitely recommend you taking it to a real viper tech to have it checked out. There is no reason to have any mods done at that time, you can always take it back once you've decided what you want.

Are the short shifters worth it & i've had a few different opinions about the FIPK & k&n, smooth tubes, etc...Thanks Guys

I went with the short shift knob, not a short shifter and I'm happy with it. I went with this one (yellow Sneaky Pete logo, of course)...

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I drove my car for at least an hour & when i got back home i could put my hand on the sills, they were warm but not hot hot at all & i really haven't noticed any real heat in the cabin yet.

It would be very hot. It must have something aftermarket inside those rocker panels (side sills)...probably hi-flo cats and maybe a new exhaust. You will need to remove the rocker panels to get a look at what's inside. Removing them is very easy...just a few screws.