Are gen 3/4 engines as bullet proof as gen 1/2?

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello,
out of curiosity i was wondering if gen 3 or 4 engines are considered as bullet proof and reliable as gen 1/2 engines? :dunno:

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen III pistons and rods are extremely fragile. No where near as "bullet proof" as Gen II pistons. I have seen/heard of many of them breaking on modded cars/trucks. ;)

That being said, if you leave it totally stock you have nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
W

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that would probably be the plan. with 600 hp with the gen 4 i don't think any further assistance would be needed. the gen 3 around 500? still very respectable. are the gen 3 pistons the same as the cream puff pistons?

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that would probably be the plan. with 600 hp with the gen 4 i don't think any further assistance would be needed. the gen 3 around 500? still very respectable. are the gen 3 pistons the same as the cream puff pistons?

Same material but obviously Gen 3 are a little bigger since engine displaces 8.3 liters.

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hello,
out of curiosity i was wondering if gen 3 or 4 engines are considered as bullet proof and reliable as gen 1/2 engines? :dunno:

Gen IV added 90 HP over the Gen III and adopted the bigger bore pistons and rods from 6.1 litre HEMI V8 for added strength. Slightly bigger displacement was a bonus, not the objective. Not interchangeable with previous generations. Heads, block, crank also new.

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen II cars from 96-99 had forged internals. The other cars did not. If you have a 2003, as long as you are not getting crazy with mods, you should be fine for a few. I know a couple people with head/cam Gen III's with no problems.

Just out of curiousity, I noticed that you have been a member here for over 6 years. You never knew the difference in the motors!!?!??!?!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While not as strong as some of the earlyier forged cars the Gen 3 are fine as long as you dont go crazy -forced induction ect.

OP
OP
W

whitebluevipe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen II cars from 96-99 had forged internals. The other cars did not. If you have a 2003, as long as you are not getting crazy with mods, you should be fine for a few. I know a couple people with head/cam Gen III's with no problems.

Just out of curiousity, I noticed that you have been a member here for over 6 years. You never knew the difference in the motors!!?!??!?!

i know all the main differences between the gen 1 and 2's. (have one off each). i was just wondering about the long term durability of gen 3/4's in comparison. just wondering if you are going to get 120,000 miles out of one of these cars like chuck did out of his. you start upping the horsepower into the stratusphere and you tend to reduce durability and longitivity due to more stress. that's is what i was getting at.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jeeze, could you be a little more condescending? He has less than 1,000 posts. So what if he doesn't know all the differences, he didn't wish to know them until now.

white out

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that genI motors have the weak head gaskets. But are there any significant differences between the genI motors & 96-99 genII motors?

I too wondered about the genIII & gen IV motors. Only know the difference between the genII motors as they are discussed the most.

Nick

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seemed to remember hundreds of Gen 1 & 2 engines going back to Arrow for complete rebuilds, and that they were much stronger and dependable when they came back.

Almost never hear about engines going back recently.

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Arrow did a fantastic job on my gen 3 rebuild under warranty. I followed the breakin to the T. After 1000 baby miles I put it up on the dyno and it put down 475/500 at the tires stock everything down to the filters. 17k miles later it feels just as strong.