Are there Normal Operating "Limitations" for my Viper? Oil pressure, temperature etc

flyboy999

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a new 2013 GTS owner (one week). I have searched for an answer to this question with no luck. I have an aviation background (in my past career), so I am very aware of adherence to "limitations" when operating an aircraft. When operating an aircraft, you have to ensure that you remain within the operational limitations set for the aircraft or damage can occur.

I have been very impressed with all of the information provided in my new Viper in terms of oil temperature and pressure, coolant temperature, intake temperature, etc., but I haven't been able to find anything that sets out the parameters for these items. They are valuable indications of what is going on with the car, but they aren't very valuable if you don't know what the normal operating range is supposed to be. I noticed today that the oil temperature when selected on the 8.4 inch screen via the performance app doesn't indicate anything below 50C, but the oil temperature on the gage cluster indicates much lower. As the engine warms up, once the gage cluster temperature gets to 50C they both begin to climb together. It got me thinking, what temperature should I let the engine get to before operating it? :dunno: Is the 50C minimum a hint that I should wait until that temperature is achieved before moving off? I am similarly curious with respect to coolant temperature etc. If this were an aircraft, which clearly it isn't, the owner's manual would indicate the normal operating ranges of every parameter available to the driver, but this is not the case. Can anyone point me in the right direction with respect to the "limitations" for this car. Otherwise, the indications are "nice" but really serve little purpose unless something goes catastrophically wrong and you suddenly have no oil pressure. To me that isn't maximizing the usefulness of the information at hand. Thanx.

Cameron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Are there Normal Operating "Limitations" for my Viper? Oil pressure, temperature

Honestly I am not trying to come off as a **** but you did not buy a Z06. After 3 laps limp dick mode does not kick in. These cars are bullet proof. They can really take a pounding that you and I unless we are totally in the realm of moran can not begin to touch the limits of these cars on the track. Having said that if you are driving around in 2nd all day and have no clue well then no gauge is going to tell you when a piston is aiming at your forehead. Did you take the SRT track day yet.? You will really find all your answers there. And I am talking about a few days down there to really get to know how to drive!!!! Enjoy bro!

OP
OP
F

flyboy999

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Are there Normal Operating "Limitations" for my Viper? Oil pressure, temperature

No offence taken. I agree, and that is one of the reasons I bought the car: the engine and transmission are tried, tested, and true. Forged pistons, titanium con rods, sodium filled valve stems, etc. etc. As Ralph has said, the engines are built to withstand aftermarket forced induction. I get it. Still, the question remains, are there manufacturer recommended limitations. It just seems like common sense to me that you wouldn't rev the piss out of the engine below a certain operating temperature without causing excessive wear and tear on the various internal components. To me, providing all of this great tech that provides the driver with oil temp, pressure, coolant temp, intake temp, etc. is pointless without knowing when the oil pressure is too high, or too low, or the oil temperature is not sufficient to provide adequate lubrication above a certain rpm. I realize that the synthetic 0W-40 in the car is extremely viscous, but I'd like a means of applying the information I'm receiving. Its a 100K+ car. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Cameron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No offence taken. I agree, and that is one of the reasons I bought the car: the engine and transmission are tried, tested, and true. Forged pistons, titanium con rods, sodium filled valve stems, etc. etc. As Ralph has said, the engines are built to withstand aftermarket forced induction. I get it. Still, the question remains, are there manufacturer recommended limitations. It just seems like common sense to me that you wouldn't rev the piss out of the engine below a certain operating temperature without causing excessive wear and tear on the various internal components. To me, providing all of this great tech that provides the driver with oil temp, pressure, coolant temp, intake temp, etc. is pointless without knowing when the oil pressure is too high, or too low, or the oil temperature is not sufficient to provide adequate lubrication above a certain rpm. I realize that the synthetic 0W-40 in the car is extremely viscous, but I'd like a means of applying the information I'm receiving. Its a 100K+ car. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I do think somewhere on this board the engineers chimed in at one point and gave the specifics you are looking for. Just don't remember where it was stated. I have a 98GTS also and it has some 15k of track time on a engine that has only seen oil changes. Just to give you an idea on how well built these cars are. And I do drive the piss out of it. Quite a few nights lime rock turf littered my garage floor...lol

OP
OP
F

flyboy999

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, I've searched with no luck. Good to hear you track your car. You're lucky. The nearest track to me is 3 1/2 hours away. I have absolute faith in the powertrain in this car. I've been researching this purchase for about a year now. The consensus is that it is a solid package, unlike the Z06, as you said.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Here is what I do but it is just based on a common sense approach. The first time I start it up for the day, I wait a few seconds and listen to make sure that all is well. I then do not put my foot into it until the engine reaches normal operating temperature and the tires are warmed up. I have used this same technique on every performance car I have ever driven since 1964. It must work. I have never had a problem.

I also religiously change the oil and filter.

OP
OP
F

flyboy999

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is a good approach Bobpantax and I do the same. I guess I'm just "nerding out" with all the great tech this car has to offer. It seems such a waste if the information being provided doesnt relate to any operational limitations. I'll just keep using the same method I always have unless someone has some hard numbers for me.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, common sense says...........just let the oil and engine warm up a little before going full-blast winding it up to the rev limiter.

Let the temp gauge come off the cold mark before you start scaring the children and old ladies in the neighborhood.

You are correct. These cars are pretty bullet-proof.
But anything can be broken with hard neglect and abuse.

OP
OP
F

flyboy999

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gotcha. I am extremely respectful when it comes to the operation of my toys. You're right. I'll just use my good ole' common sense "limitations" unless told otherwise. Cheers guys.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Most modern vehicles have fail safe electronic sensors that will reduce down to a limp home mode if parameters are exceeded. These parameters depend on various inputs, so just one specific number should not be relied on as reason to back off on performance.

No need to stare at dashboard readouts for normal driving. (drives analytical people crazy). Even in racing situations vehicles are usually driven an easy warm up lap to get the tires and fluids up to efficient operating temperatures.

Best advise is to watch your temps for a while to get an idea where your car operated in normal condition. Then if you see something out of line, you can take note.

In the past we knew when the tires were up to temp by feeling how they gripped the corners. Too cold resulted in no grip going into corners. Too hot meant greasy feeling in high speed corners. You could tell if it was overheating by the smell of the engine oil or antifreeze.

Gauges are just indicators. Only some seat time in the car will let you know when things are running proper.

Rule of thumb is to drive your cars easy when from a cold start. After a couple minutes you can let loose the horses. If the temp gauge gets into the red...back off a bit.

Engine oil below 50 degrees means lubrication is limited and the metal parts are not warmed up yet. Always wait for some temperature to show before using much throttle or revs.

Enjoy your new Viper. They are super robust, and seem to take quite a licking and keep on ticking.

OP
OP
F

flyboy999

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanx for your thoughts Paul. Your approach is completely in line with what my plan was if I didn't have any "hard numbers" to reference. I've noticed that the normal operating temperature for the oil is 84C, and as you say, 50C seems to be the minimum operational temperature, just from a "common sense" approach given that the main screen doesn't indicate anything below that. Here in Canada, unlike San Diego, we often start our cars at well below 50C, even in an insulated garage, so that is why I am so mindful of this issue. It's my understanding that forged pistons don't like the cold, so I'm trying to take every precaution I can to ensure I have a long uneventful relationship with my car. This car is just so special, I want to treat it with the respect it deserves. What an awesome piece of machinery...................................................

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala