*** are these Viper windshileds made of? Tissue paper?

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Was washing the inside of my windshield this morning and my watch must have come in contact with it leaving a 3inch scratch. Scratch is extreamly shallow. Anyone have any ideas how to remove this? :crazy2:

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Titanium watch perhaps? Way harder than glass...

You could try crack filler... But buffing / polishing will only cause warping in you vision.

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's the material, but the speed/heighth of the car. My older cars' windshields are terrible! I don't know of any way to remove pits and scratches, they can fill in cracks (as you know) but this won't work as far as I know...

Roadrunner

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its a bit more than a standard car windsheild because the FM/AM antenna is on the glass... but ~$500 at a good glass shop should be about right. The GEN I/II windsheilds were a lot more because that had a lot more wraparound at the edges. The GEN III/IV is fairly normal curvature.

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its a bit more than a standard car windsheild because the FM/AM antenna is on the glass... but ~$500 at a good glass shop should be about right. The GEN I/II windsheilds were a lot more because that had a lot more wraparound at the edges. The GEN III/IV is fairly normal curvature.
Thats pretty reasonable. Thankx. Wonder if I can have this done at the dealership where I have all my servicing done.

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Get your BB Gun out, then call your insurance company for a windshield minus deductable :D
This has to be my favorite bbgun i've got, but I dont know how I'd explain all the holes. lol. Hooks to shop air compressor.
You must be registered for see images

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has to be my favorite bbgun i've got, but I dont know how I'd explain all the holes. lol. Hooks to shop air compressor.
You must be registered for see images

It's unfortunate that they won't let you have real guns out there in California :D (I'm just funnin', but I do hate the gun laws out there).

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that they won't let you have real guns out there in California :D (I'm just funnin', but I do hate the gun laws out there).
I'm in the gun buisness among other things so yeah I agree with you. The gun laws here are a real *****.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats pretty reasonable. Thankx. Wonder if I can have this done at the dealership where I have all my servicing done.

Probably not. Most dealerships do not do glass work. If they do, they will probably charge you MSRP of the windshield, or in the $800 range as far as I can recall.
The ~$500 figure sounds about right when going with a company like Safelite that comes to your home/work and does the work on site...

I can agree with the tissue paper analogy. Any small sand corn will cause a mark in the windshield. DO NOT drive this car in the rain! (That's how I got a small chip in my 2006 windshield - a truck in oncoming traffic stirred up road dust...)

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Probably not. Most dealerships do not do glass work. If they do, they will probably charge you MSRP of the windshield, or in the $800 range as far as I can recall.
The ~$500 figure sounds about right when going with a company like Safelite that comes to your home/work and does the work on site...
yeah but since theres only one or 2 other vipers in my area I dont know that I would fully trust one of the local glass shops to do it.

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was always told that you should avoid replacing the windshield in a car if possible beacuse it can never be sealed exactly the way the factory did it. I don't know if this applies to new cars and tehniques or is outdated info. Also, if I see a non-factory piece of glass in a car I always wonder what happened - first thought is to assume an accident, so I'd replace with factory stamped glass if you are going that route.

I wonder what the resto guys use to bring their glass back to perfect. I've seen some one-off 50's and 60's Ferraris and such as shows that have 70-90km on the clock and the glass is perfect. I doubt it's new glass.

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was always told that you should avoid replacing the windshield in a car if possible beacuse it can never be sealed exactly the way the factory did it. I don't know if this applies to new cars and tehniques or is outdated info. Also, if I see a non-factory piece of glass in a car I always wonder what happened - first thought is to assume an accident, so I'd replace with factory stamped glass if you are going that route.

I wonder what the resto guys use to bring their glass back to perfect. I've seen some one-off 50's and 60's Ferraris and such as shows that have 70-90km on the clock and the glass is perfect. I doubt it's new glass.
I'm going to try the Zaino window polish and hopefully it will remove the scratch. I'm planning on holding off replacing the windshield untill I enevatably catch a rock and chip the windshield from all these rigs hauling gravel around here. As far as a replacement never sealing as well as a stock one did, I'd have windshields replaced on trucks of mine and have had no problems at all.

Peter Nielsen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had Safelite replace the windshield on my 2002 Mustang. Perfect seal, no problems. (The only thing that arguably isn't 100% perfect is the alignement of the pillar trim, i.e. pure cosmetics. I'm not sure it was perfect originally, and I guess I could easily fix that myself so I don't think it's an issue).

If I had to do this on the Viper, I would be more worried about the removal/installing of the molding around the windshield in regard to cosmetics and alignment. Ideally I would have a ViperTech remove/install the decorative parts of the molding and let the glass guy do only the windshield part...

OP
OP
R

Rick530

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had Safelite replace the windshield on my 2002 Mustang. Perfect seal, no problems. (The only thing that arguably isn't 100% perfect is the alignement of the pillar trim, i.e. pure cosmetics. I'm not sure it was perfect originally, and I guess I could easily fix that myself so I don't think it's an issue).

If I had to do this on the Viper, I would be more worried about the removal/installing of the molding around the windshield in regard to cosmetics and alignment. Ideally I would have a ViperTech remove/install the decorative parts of the molding and let the glass guy do only the windshield part...
If and when I decide to have the windshield replaced I'll drop it off at the dealer and have the ViprTech do what he can and the glass guys can go there and install the glass. And the V.T. can reinstall what he took off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456