Auto-X in my Viper

Sean 96 McViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want to go to an Auto-X event, how do vipers usually fair in these events? I heard that the courses are usually set up for smaller, lighter cars? Any tips for a first time auto-xer?

Thanks,
-Sean

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Walk the course, if possible.

Pick a gear (usually 2nd) and stay there.

Look about three cones ahead of your current turn (in other words, know the course, be the course, feel the course)

Yes, the Mazdas/Hondas will have the advantage, but we usually can still give 'em a great fight.

Have fun! ... you'll be the most popular attraction there...guaranteed!

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Carry extra tires..

I guess if its a low speed ax, you would do it in 1st gear.
The aim as far as I go is to have a blast.. also I believe over inflating the tires helps..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

PhilC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean, I don't know where Newtown , PA is but if it's not too far from Jackson, NJ, let me know when and where you're going and if I can I'll meet you there and we can figure it out together.

Phil

TorQ Junkie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may want to call Bill Pemberton's (Woodhouse Dodge) teenaged son who excels in Solo II in a Viper.
A reference to read is Henry Watts, Secrets of Solo Racing, Loki Publishing Co, 1989.
Get to the event early and memorize the track. You'll feel like you wasted your time if you gun it and realize you're lost in a sea of orange cones. Forget about the tiny slot cars that will set the pace; they will be categorized in a diff class anyway.
I have a friend who raced ZR-1's who like to knock over as many cones as possible on the first run to learn the limits early. Somehow he did well despite not walking the course much.
Most experience autoxers don't mind you riding with them so during a fun run at the end you may want to see how they set up for the turns coming ahead...
Bench racing wisdoms: Go slow to be fast. In a slalom, hit the late apex as early as possible. In most cases, spinning your tires will cost you time. If you're in control, you're not going fast enough.

ps: if the course is set up in a parking lot, watch out for any painted areas like handicapped parking. Very slick.

Frank

Reaction score
Go to the following link:
http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm?clkd=iwm

Read the solo II info at least once to give yourself a good understanding of how these events operate. This will help reduce pressure from being new.

Start with the front tires at 37-39 psi and the rear tires at 35-37.

Knowing the course is the first challenge. As other have stated walk the course as many times as allowed try to memorize it.

Look ahead is probable the most important and hardest skill to master, but is critical for all performance (autox or road course) driving. Leaving the starting gate your eyes should be looking one turn ahead of your position. As you turn into turn 1 you should be looking at turn 2 and repeat until you exit. At the last turn you are looking at the timing slip station.

The next task is to slow before the turn so the you can be in the throttle by the apex. Most of us try to hard and brake to late, result the front pushes and time slips away.

Many events can be run in first gear but they can also be run in second gear with better times for new drivers. In first gear the weight transfer will be more difficult to control. Get into 2nd gear as soon as possible and concentrate on looking ahead and slowing down for the corners to maximize exit speed. Braking late will gain perhaps 0.1 second and good exit may gain .5 to .75 depending on the course layout.

Remember to look ahead, I know I already said that but is the most difficult and most important technique to develop.

Have fun!

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers aren't that bad in AX - I'm no great driver and overdo things often, but out of 100 entrants (and no other Vipers show up, so I can't compare
frown.gif
I can be in the top ten - usually beaten only by snow-mobile powered karts, Formula cars, a fully modified MR2, and a Boxster driven by a driving school instructor. I look around and say only one car with license plates is quicker.

My mods? Just BFG R1s, full stiff on front shocks, full soft on rears, urethane sway bar bushings. The benefits? You'll get used to sliding around turns at 50 MPH, something that may help learn the feeling of slithering around at 100 MPH on a road course. I'm not good enough to slide around at 100 MPH right away....