Autoform Rollbar

Franz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got the "new and improved" Autoform Rollbar installed in my car. You will notice the crossbar has been moved out of sight. The new design seems to fix the complaints of decreased visibility out the rear view mirror.

I don't know if it's true, but they said I was the first one with the new design.

http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/510Rollbar_005-med.jpg
http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/510Rollbar_007-med.jpg
http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/510Rollbar_009-med.jpg
http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/510Rollbar_011-med.jpg
http://gallery.viperclub.org/data/500/510Rollbar_012-med.jpg

OP
OP
F

Franz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it), the same as yours. I got it through Parts Rack.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is installation the same as the original roll bar? How long does it take to install?

OP
OP
F

Franz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a viper tech at my Dodge dealer do it. I believe the install was the same. They had some difficulty with the printed instructions, until Autoform e-mailed some good pictures to them. They charged about 9 hours of labor, which I think was about what it was taking other guys to do the install.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea, the install is an all-day job. I'm jealous too, since it would be nice to see out the rear view mirror again. Looks great and congrats on your new potential to survive a rollover and on your ability to get on the track without a bolt-on hard top!

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Would this be approved for nhra? Does it bolt in or weld in. One last question is it scca approved?

Thanks Guys

Robert

HiYoSilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Franz- Looks great! Much better that original Autoform rollbars with the new wide open center (no cross-bar).
I especially like the wrap-around shape on the ends. I would like to see if the Windbaffle will curve around that contour and see how it would effect the aerodynamics(backdraft).
Please let me know if you would like to try it out.
Bob

OP
OP
F

Franz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! I can't wait to get back on the track. It's been a while since I could do an event like Viper Days because of the roll bar requirement.

I'm not sure about the NHRA and SCCA approvals. Maybe someone else has the answer to those questions.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would this be approved for nhra? Does it bolt in or weld in. One last question is it scca approved?

Thanks Guys

Robert

Can't speak for SCCA, but it is not NHRA approved. NHRA requires a forward or backward cross brace, at least that's what they tell me at my local drag strip.

The good news is that unless your car is highly modified, you can run it under the NHRA pure stock rules, so you don't have to meet NHRA specs for a roll bar (assuming your engine looks stock.)

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Guys

Robert

Can't speak for SCCA, but it is not NHRA approved. NHRA requires a forward or backward cross brace, at least that's what they tell me at my local drag strip.

The good news is that unless your car is highly modified, you can run it under the NHRA pure stock rules, so you don't have to meet NHRA specs for a roll bar (assuming your engine looks stock.)
So does this mean that the Autoform roll bar may not offer protection in some rollover situations?

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So does this mean that the Autoform roll bar may not offer protection in some rollover situations?

No roll bar will protect you in all rollover situations. The Autoform bar is worlds better than the stock "sport hoops" which are flimsy aluminum and rubber. I'm sure you could manage to hurt or kill yourself in a rollover even with the Autoform bar installed, however.

If you're interested in something that will give you the maximum protection in a roll over, you will need a full roll cage, not a roll bar. You will also want a shielded fuel cell, and an onboard fire suppression system.

If you want to meet NHRA specs, you will at least need to put in a door bar in addition to the Autoform bar. This would provide side impact protection, and also give the Autoform bar additional forward bracing.

Kai

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think I will get the new roll bar as it looks much better than the original.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe that the famous Torqenstein SRT-10 Viper that ran in the Gumball ralley and rolled the car at 140MPH was using the Autoform rollbar. :eek:

And both the driver and passenger walked away from the accident with minor injuries, which is VERY impressive! :2tu:

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe that the famous Torqenstein SRT-10 Viper that ran in the Gumball ralley and rolled the car at 140MPH was using the Autoform rollbar. :eek:

And both the driver and passenger walked away from the accident with minor injuries, which is VERY impressive! :2tu:

You are 100% correct - that car did have the Autoform bar and it helped save the occupants lives.

OP
OP
F

Franz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like lawyer speak to me.

Experience may be a better indicator.
I think there have been a few rollovers in which the occupants survived without much injury.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think the torque rollover speaks for itself. after looking at that wreck i know the damn thing works.
And I remember seeing on this board a picture of flipped SRT-10 with stock “sport hoops” which seemed to have performed well in keeping the car from crushing the driver, even though we know for a fact that those stock “sport hoops” are flimsy aluminum tubing. A roll-over or two where a roll bar or sport hoop does not obviously fail does not establish that the product is nearly as reliable as you might reasonably assume. Certainly the Autoform roll bar is better than the stock sport hoops, but how reliable is it? It's too bad that Autoform or somebody else (Dodge?) couldn't have made an SRT-10 roll bar that would meet SCCA Solo1 specs so that there would not be any question as to its effectiveness (some track driving schools do not accept the Autoform roll bar I have learned) and there would not be any justification for adding a confidence-shaking disclaimer like "Roll bar not designed for roll-over protection."

As for legal speak, I seriously doubt that such an intentionally obscure, almost hidden, disclaimer would absolve Autoform from liability for its product's failure, since such an unexpected disclaimer should be very conspicuously stated for it to be successfully relied upon as defense. Clearly people are buying this product because they assume, and reasonably so, that it was indeed designed for roll-over protection. So what’s going on here?

Maybe I’m missing something. Maybe it couldn’t have been made to SCCA spec and still be low enough for the rag top to close. Maybe Autoform has received some bad legal advise and opted for the disclaimer, no mater how ineffective. Maybe Autoform doesn’t have confidence in its product. Whatever the case, I for one would like to know just how much protection the roll bar is proving me and whether or not prudence would suggest that it be replaced with something custom made that would provide more protection. I understand that we can never be completely safe, but I would like to think that my roll bar was designed to not collapse in almost any conceivable roll-over situation and not be told by its manufacturer that it wasn’t actually designed to provide roll-over protection.

Why don’t we ask Autoform? Hey TonyAF, can you shed some light on this for us? Was the Autoform SRT-10 roll bar designed for roll-over protection and if so, just how much protection?

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was the first SRT10 allowed to run Viper Days. It was the third car to have the Autoform roll bar installed. The first being the One Lap of America car back in 2003. I have all the confidence in the world about Autoforms' products. If I did not I would not have put 6,000+ miles on my car on various race tracks around this country.

The problem with our society is no one wants to accept responsibility for their actions. There are two kinds of Viper owners that put their cars on race tracks; those that HAVE crashed and those that WILL crash. Which one are you? And when you do crash are you going to try to blame someone else for your mistake or say "that's racing" and get out your check book and start getting the car fixed.

No one product is perfect. There are two ways to completely protect yourself from a roll over in an SRET10, first sell the car and don't worry about it any more, or second put a full roll cage in the car and deal with getting in and out of the car when you run to the grocery store. Short of either one of those buy the best thing out there (Autoforms roll bar and hardtop)and go have the most fun you can with your cloths on.

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was the first SRT10 allowed to run Viper Days. It was the third car to have the Autoform roll bar installed. The first being the One Lap of America car back in 2003. I have all the confidence in the world about Autoforms' products. If I did not I would not have put 6,000+ miles on my car on various race tracks around this country.

The problem with our society is no one wants to accept responsibility for their actions. There are two kinds of Viper owners that put their cars on race tracks; those that HAVE crashed and those that WILL crash. Which one are you? And when you do crash are you going to try to blame someone else for your mistake or say "that's racing" and get out your check book and start getting the car fixed.

No one product is perfect. There are two ways to completely protect yourself from a roll over in an SRT10, first sell the car and don't worry about it any more, or second put a full roll cage in the car and deal with getting in and out of the car when you run to the grocery store. Short of either one of those buy the best thing out there (Autoforms roll bar and hardtop)and go have the most fun you can with your cloths on.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anybody has any questions please call me. 616-392-4909

What sort of testing was done on the roll bar and what were the results? Who performed any tests? How does the AF roll bar compare to the stock "hoops" in a roll over?

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If anybody has any questions please call me. 616-392-4909

What sort of testing was done on the roll bar and what were the results? Who performed any tests? How does the AF roll bar compare to the stock "hoops" in a roll over?

Ditto?

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Autoform doesn't have enough extra cash sitting around to be able to afford to take a few SRT's out and roll them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte