automatic question

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much do you think it would cost to put an automatic in a viper? I hear the new viper motors in the truck have a differnt bolt pattern than a older viper like my Gen 1. Does anyone know how how to make a 727 work on a gen 1 v10? I know a 727 will hold up to a viper v10 with no problems. Also anyone know of a company in the west coast, (vegas would be great) that could do this type of modification. A 727 with a cheetah valve body and a 3,500 stall converter would kiss ass.

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the local guys has one in his '96 GTS. He had all the work done at TNT and he's using the 727. I'd post pics but can't link them from Viper Alley. :rolleyes:

Do a search for this topic --> All Motor Viper Record?

OP
OP
O

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
any idea of how much it would cost. and would they give me a good amount for my 6speed for a trade in?

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 727 with a cheetah valve body and a 3,500 stall converter would kiss ass.

"kiss ass"???? ***!?!

I'm also interested to hear pricing on this ZeroShift thing discussed in the other thread.

OP
OP
O

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok there mopar man. I meant Kick Ass. Are you happy now lol. So what do they have to do to make the bellhousing fit up to a 727 and how much.

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please keep this post hidden, my wife will get ideas.I have alot of time in scaring here of the car.BECAUSE IT IS A STICK.You know hole shots and cherping thru the gears to make her scared to drive it or even to start it. :D :D I tried to convience her this is the way you must drive it.But anyway can you imagine these cars being automatics with shiftkits and stall converters.Keep us posted on what you all find out,costs and longevity of a auto. :2tu:

OP
OP
O

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hell no, automatic is the way to go. I will have answers this week. Thinking of using a small bock 727.

OP
OP
O

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you say that until an automatic beats your ass drag racing. For bracket racing you can not beat an automatic. Plain and simple!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Duh. Of course it's faster, drags or road. Even so, it is much, more fun shifting.

I suppose if I ever build a 9 second Viper I'll consider an auto, but aren't there sticks that can get you into the 7s?

OP
OP
O

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can shift the car like a stick with a cheetah valve body. Just the fact there is no clutch to deal with. Had it in all my old mopars.

OP
OP
O

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is true but being a mopar guy, since then I am a automatic guy. Alot easier to be consitant and never have to worry about missing a gear.

jp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A manual is always faster then a Automatic. Look at ProStock, ProMod etc. But it's easier and cheaper to be fast enough with a Automatic...and booooring.
I've gone the maual route witha a Clutchless Jerico in my Viper...that's fun!

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the sticks they are running in Pro and Pro Mod. They are automatics. Let the clutch our once and pull the levers. Sticks will always be faster if you can shift them. There is less parasitic loss. Problem is you can't shift a T 56 like a Liberty or Long trans and you can't use one of the later on the street. A good 3 spd/OD Auto will rule any stock Viper 6 spd at the drags and make a great street runner. Won't be much good on a road course.

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm interested to see what this ZeroShift guy can come up with for a conversion package (see other thread). It may be a good low cost option - just mod the T56 instead of putting in an automatic. It'll be interesting to see how much the auto conversion runs.

OP
OP
O

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is Ohiodoc's wife.. and I just want to say.. if he converts this thing to an automatic then he has to worry about when he gets to drive the car, cause I'll be taking it out with my girlfriends once it is an automatic!!! I can't wait! hahahaha

FLOORIN04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I WARNED YOU!!! : :eek: Keep these cars sticks ,so are wives won't drive them and leave us home with the kids.Some of us cannot afford two of these. :2tu:

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is Ohiodoc's wife.. and I just want to say.. if he converts this thing to an automatic then he has to worry about when he gets to drive the car, cause I'll be taking it out with my girlfriends once it is an automatic!!! I can't wait! hahahaha

Excellent! See you out at LVMS! :2tu:

gary

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an automatic viper. I use a wheelchair, it was my only option to drive a VIPER. It's a manual valve body with OD and lockup.

I'm buying a house now and thus selling the car. They're very difficult to build and it took a while to get the bugs out, but this one has been reliable for a few years now.
Gary

Sam 01 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary-That's awesome to have the ability to enjoy a Viper in that situation!
:laugh:
Jay, however, is another story....
;)
Jay- I'm waiting for the Stainless Works headers to arrive, otherwise all is good w/the Goat. I miss the Viper, but it was kinda nice to be able to haul some friends around and not use my demonstrator..
:)

OP
OP
O

ohiodoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is cool, I heard they sold your old viper. I still want to put a automatic in mine though lol.