Autoweek article - Landmark cars in the past 50 years - Viper ignored

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went through my latest Autoweek - 50th anniversary issue, a lot of great reading. However, their article on 55 Landmark cars in the past 50 years disappointed me because they didn't include, or even give an honorable mention to the Viper. The list includes the Shelby 427 Cobra, Hemi Cuda, the Corvette (3 times, '63, '67, '90 ZR1), and many others, but no Viper. I know I'm biased, but it seems to me it should have been in there, because I know the GTS was voted by American readers to be in the top ten most desirable cars in the 20th century. In addition, the Viper has been continually recognized as the car that re-introduced the muscle car era in the '90's.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you surprised. Magazines are pretty biased and mostly influenced by their advertiser list.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No surprise. If you want to be listed, you have to pay them. Dodge produces the car all others are measured against - they pay no one.

Chrysler built factory "Altered wheelbase cars" and won so much that they became their own classes of Super Stock.

The 'special' Hemi cars Dodge built in the late 60s are only allowed to race against themselves. There's no competition that comes close.

The Hemi won so many Nascar races that the sanctioning body decided that a 'stock' Hemi could only race if the duql quads were replaced with a MAX 340 cfm rated single carb and the car was required to weigh an extra 500#.

The 'winged warriors' (Charger 500 and Superbirds) finished every NASCAR race in front of ALL other cars so they were banned from racing (Too fast).

Then came the VIPER. If a Viper was in a Lemans, it won or came in behind another Viper. So the governing body required 50% intake sized restrictor plates to make sure that Vipers couldn't win.

Dodge has been persecuted since the early sixties because their factory race cars embarrassed GM and ALL the other 'supposed' factory race car builders so badly.

Since Dodge has had more factory built race cars banned and restricted because they're TOO FAST for everybody else to compete with, obviously in the races Dodge built cars for - they were the fastest and the best.

Ford was lucky that Dodge didn't build any cars to compete in Lemans while Shelby was kicking ass. Ford did do some spectacular cars as well, Shelbys, AC Cobras, Sunbeam Tigers (although Chrysler bought the company and produced them the last year of production), Mustang Shelbys, Thunderbolts, Ford GT & GT40, 55-58 T birds, Talledagas. Chev? GM built passenger cars and vettes, They built the worlds worst V8, V6, 4 ******, Rear axles, transmissions, etc.

90 vette ZR1? wasn't that one of those 400hp cars???

As far as fast, No company can hold a candle to the Dodge competition cars.

Ted

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
because there not landmark cars there fast dodge viper cars and one of a kind

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dodge vipers are shake rattle and run second to none 1996 gts

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
All the idiots that rely on C&D, Autoweak, R&*****, etc. sure must be disappointed after following their advice and buying the slower cars for tracking, then getting 'spanked' by all the Vipers.

Ted

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LMAO - Im sure that they put mostly american cars on this list. Not only is it really stupid and biased for this mag to put mostly american cars on the list, but even worse, they managed to exlude the best car thats ever come out of america..the viper.

Dont worry though - just because your a stupid biased magazine writer, doesnt change the facts. Pull up to the mall in a 90's vette and see how much of a reaction you get for that "landmark" car. I pretty much exect total BS for mag's nowa days. We all know that if somone in europe did this list it would all be porsches and BMW's

OP
OP
Gus Strakes

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somebody at Autoweek had got their head up their "you know what" if they ignore the Viper's historic FIA racing record in the '90's, including the Oreca GTS car that won the 1999 Daytona 24 Hour outright beating all the prototypes.

Here’s the list:
VW Beetle (’38 – ’03)
BMW 507 (’56 thru ’59)
Mercedes 300 SL Roadster (’57 – ’63)
Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa (’58)
Austin Mini (’59)
Cooper T51 F1 (’59)
Jaguar XKE (’61)
Ferrari 250 GTO (’62 – ’64)
Corvette (’63)
Ford GT40 (’64)
Green Monster (’64) (Breedlove car)
Buick Riviera (’63-’64)
Sheraton Thompson Special (’64) (Indy Car)
Pontiac GTO (’64)
Porsche 911 (’64)
Ford Mustang (’64.5)
Shelby Daytona Coupe (’64 – ’65)
Lotus 38 (’65) (Indy Car)
Goldenrod ('65) (Land speed car)
Shelby 427 Cobra (’65)
Chaparral 2E Can-AM (’66)
Corvette (’67)
Lotus 49 ('67) (F1 Car)
BMW 2002 (’68)
Mercedes 300 SEL 6.3 (’68)
Ferrari Daytona (’68 – ’73)
Camaro Z28 (’69)
McLaren M8B, M8D (’69 – ’70) (Can-Am car)
Dodge Charger Daytona (’69)
Plymouth Superbird (’70)
Datsun 240Z (’70)
Ferrari 312B F1 Race Car (‘70)
Plymouth Hemi Barracuda (’70)
Swamp Rat XIV (’70) (Garlitz Dragster)
Porsche 917K (’70-’71) (LeMans Car)
Porsche 917/30 Can-Am (’72 – ’73) (Can-Am car)
Honda Civic CVCC (’75)
Lotus ’79 (’78)
Audi Quattro (’80)
VW GTI (’83)
Dodge Caravan & Chrysler Town & Country (’84)
Ford Thunderbird (’84)
McLaren MP4-2 (’84 – ’86) (F1 car)
Ford Taurus (’86)
Porsche 959 (’86 – ’89)
Ferrari F40 (’87 – ’92)
Corvette ZR1 (’90)
Mazda Miata (’90)
Williams-Renault FW14B (’90) (F1 car)
McLaren F1 (’94)
GM EV1 (’97)
Thrust SSC (97) (Landspeed car)
Ferrari F2004 (’04) (F1 car)
Toyota Prius (’04)
Audi R10 (’06) (LeMans Car)
Audi R8 (’08)

RayG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 86 Taurus I can understand. One of the best selling cars of all time and its rounded design made everybody change their designs back then. I'm more amazed that they put the Audi R8 in there. I drove that car for three days and what a letdown! That car is a dog.
Plus they left out the Lamborghini Countach! :nono:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yet another reason I am glad to have let all my auto magazine subscriptions expire.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What a joke. No Vipers, where's the Hurst Hemi cars? Where's the S/FX cars, no Shelby Charger (83-87), No Shelby GT500s (newer), They list a couple Mercedes but not an SLR? Stealth R/T TT, SRT10 pickup, Where's all the challengers and 'cudas. Duster was the best selling car for the early 70s. K car best selling in the early 70s. GLH. M4S was a billion dollar test bed (Chrysler and Hitachi) that got auto electronics to where they are now.

MSN.s 10 top sports cars have Miata to Murcielago, include 2 new Mustangs(?), 2 Porsches the vette and somehow forgot the best performing sports car on the market for under $500,000???

All dumb. When I go to a car show, my car may not be the most interesting, but it's definitely at the top of the list. At all carshows I've been too. Maybe these guys never go out in the real world?

Ted

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viper is in good company in my garage. They also left out the Ferrari Testarossa (84-95), the fastest production car in the world for 11 years straight, something no other car on that list can claim! Also a car that any automobile enthusiast would instantly recognize, like the Viper. Also left out the 355, 360, Enzo, Saleen and Veyron, Astin Martin, MBG. At least they listed the Town & Country...Like Groucho Marx said, "I wouldn't want to be a member of any country club that would allow someone like me to be a member..."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang