FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What ever happened to the idea I posted a year ago where a member can click on another members avatar and it will expand to show of his or her avatar/viper pictures etc?
It would definately be a great addition to the clubs, there are alot of nice avatars out there that would look really nice enlarged and would show the details you can't see in the small picture.

FLX109

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
soo...the avatar is really a link to their gallery?

kewl

I would think it could be done since the screen name is used as a link too

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think that would work with all avatars anyway, especially the ones created as GIF files.

better question - what ever happened to a link under the avatars that goes directly to someones gallery? :dunno:

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just think it would be great if it would expand there avatar photo or link to a avatar picture to see the larger view rather than find my glasses to see it.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the limiting factor is that when you upload an avatar, if it's larger than the allowed dimensions, the system resizes the file before storing it in the file-system (or database, whichever). That said, to be able to click on it to see it in a larger size, it would have to be then enlarged beyond it's actual size and would look horrible.

Out of curiosity, are you aware of any other forums that do this?

ETA: I moved this to the Questions/Suggestions section as it's not related to site policies.

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the limiting factor is that when you upload an avatar, if it's larger than the allowed dimensions, the system resizes the file before storing it in the file-system (or database, whichever). That said, to be able to click on it to see it in a larger size, it would have to be then enlarged beyond it's actual size and would look horrible.

ETA: I moved this to the Questions/Suggestions section as it's not related to site policies.

What if all Avatars for all members were store in a folder, that was linked to from clicking on the avatar, or should I say if anyone joining or wanting an avatar would have to have a certain size photo for the system and then it was shunk down to the avatar size, like a ebay item maybe.

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if all Avatars for all members were store in a folder, that was linked to from clicking on the avatar, or should I say if anyone joining or wanting an avatar would have to have a certain size photo for the system and then it was shunk down to the avatar size, like a ebay item maybe.

Right now, when you click on a persons Avatar, you're taken to their profile, which is a built-in function of vBulletin. I'm not sure what's involved with a) changing the link properties to point to an image file (preferrably without you having to press the 'back' button once you're done looking at it), and b) overhauling the current avatar upload process to maintain a copy of the original file before re-sizing and storing it for use as an avatar.

OP
OP
F

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right now, when you click on a persons Avatar, you're taken to their profile, which is a built-in function of vBulletin. I'm not sure what's involved with a) changing the link properties to point to an image file (preferrably without you having to press the 'back' button once you're done looking at it), and b) overhauling the current avatar upload process to maintain a copy of the original file before re-sizing and storing it for use as an avatar.

Just a suggestion, thought it would be cool where you could actually see some of the sweet avatars full screen.
thanks

FLX

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This forum used to do that back in 2001 and 2002. I am sure some of the older mods can elaborate on this.

Ed

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This forum used to do that back in 2001 and 2002. I am sure some of the older mods can elaborate on this.

Ed

I believe that was ubbthreads all the way up until the vB upgrade last year wasn't it? We can ask big-n-italian about the work involved with managing avatars with the old software ...definitely not a 'low-maintenance' system.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that was ubbthreads all the way up until the vB upgrade last year wasn't it? We can ask big-n-italian about the work involved with managing avatars with the old software ...definitely not a 'low-maintenance' system.

it was definately high maintenence, and if i remember right, that feature slowed the forum down because some people had large high resolution pics. if the demand is there to see high res pics of peoples avatars, may i sugggest a link to our galleries under our avatars like we used to have, and the high res pics could be found there for viewing. the pics would only be a couple clicks away and would allow the forum to download quickly.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Add one more "please" to the galleries link!!

Can't tell you how many times I have gone to see more photos of someones car/avatar/etc once I saw one of their posts, and then tried to find them iin the media galley. It would be really sweet to have that link!:2tu:

Robert

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187