Avoiding emissions testing...Leasing Company?

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a modded Viper in NV where there is no emission testing.

I want to take it to my PA home where there is emissions testing.

I'm wondering if the following would work:

1. Create a leasing company in NV.
  2. Title the car the car to the leasing company.
  3. Insure the car in NV.
  4. Then take the car wherever I want and if I'm there over 30 days and get stopped, just give the cop the owner's card which is a NV company.
The other approach is to rent a "mail drop" garage in PA where there is no testing.

But I do know in PA they do not check the Check Sum and all you really have to do is show all but 2 readiness codes. So it might be easier to program them in the ECU - I don't know.

Thanks
Tom

DrTaco

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you have any family/friends in a nearby PA county (that does not require emissions) where you could register it? Keep it as simple as possible if you really need to avoid the testing.

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any family/friends in a nearby PA county (that does not require emissions) where you could register it? Keep it as simple as possible if you really need to avoid the testing.
I don't know about PA,but in NJ,it's a state wide thing,does not vary from county to county ,might be the same in PA

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm moving to PA shortly as well and I'm in the same boat with a modified Viper. I may be wrong, but from my searching you can register the car as a collectable and it waivers emissions testing. Hopefully someone from PA can verify.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what I found, not sure if it's up to date.

"The use of collectible plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code which states: “It is unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique, classic or collectible registration plates for general daily transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses”.

Permitted use is limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional transportation and similar uses. Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.

Collectible vehicles are subject to an annual vehicle safety inspection, however, collectible vehicles are exempt from emission inspections."

I'm sure it might also depend on which county you live in.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That PA Collectible plate will apply to all counties.

I don't like the one day a week rule.

I was reading more and it seems that the engine or exhaust MUST be modified to get this designation: (I also don't like the idea that they "associate" the Collectible Vehicle with a Reconstructed one. In fact, what are the rules to return the Collectible to a Normal registration? It might not be possible with the mods. In that case you probably just ruined the resale value of your Viper.)

"The appropriate sales tax/registration fees and four clearly distinguishable color photographs of the vehicle (front, rear and both sides). Two additional color photographs are required when the engine
has been modified. One of the engine compartment
that shows the qualifying engine modifications and
the other of the exhaust system that shows the m
odified changes of the new exhaust system that was
installed, must be included. (Additional photographs may be necessary to sufficiently show exhaust
system modifications.)

NOTE: If the change is not engine related, i.e., low slung “1950’s” type vehicles,
an additional color photograph of the vehicle must be included.

Collectible vehicles must meet all the requirements for a reconstructed vehicle. In addition, the vehicle
must be substantially changed in order to qualify as a “Collectible”. Substantial changes to the engine
or exhaust system must be done to qualify as a “Collectible” motor vehicle. The changes must be
documented as required on Form MV-426B. In addition,

the vehicle must primarily be used for show
and must appear to be in “show” condition. "

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just curious,

Why exactly will your vehicle not pass? What modifications? We may be able to get it to correctly pass with the proper configuration.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like the one day a week rule.

I was reading more and it seems that the engine or exhaust MUST be modified to get this designation: (I also don't like the idea that they "associate" the Collectible Vehicle with a Reconstructed one. In fact, what are the rules to return the Collectible to a Normal registration? It might not be possible with the mods. In that case you probably just ruined the resale value of your Viper.)

I honestly don't know how they would know if you drove it more than once a week. My guess is you'll park it during the winter so the mileage won't rack up. I don't see the collectable status hurting your value like a reconstructed title, but I don't really know.

My car may actually pass emissions since I have an SCT/VEC tune for my Roe supercharged Viper (with highflow cats). It passed for the previous owner who lived it Atlanta. Maybe he just "tipped" the inspector really well,lol.

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My mods are heads, cam, exhaust, no cats. In PA all you have to do is show Readiness Codes - no tailpipe or dyno. And, being an early OBDII, they allow at least 2 failed Readiness. Who knows maybe all I need is a cat eliminator resistor. It might be trivial but I haven't had time to look into it. I'm guessing you can program the ECU to force Readiness Codes.

As far as the One Day a Week, PA used to have the traditional vague language "Occasional ..." but they added this one day a week thing. With Big Brother, Computers, and The Surveillance Society, it will be easy to determine who is cheating. I don't think PA is there yet, but it is bounded by NJ and NY - so a Zombie Invasion could occur at any moment.

EDIT: I'm so backed up with putting out fires, I bot a loaded DRBIII and have yet to hook it up and see what is up!

Last edited:

Pzdipin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Pa you can only register a car to your address on your drivers license.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a friend here in nj who has had his viper for 14 years and never bothered to inspect it. Another one has a 99 and just got collectible inspection where he passes bases on odometer working...if that helps.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mopar Performance PCM. Works perfectly to get you right through OBD II

OP
OP
Tom and Vipers

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess the real question: Is it possible to program a readiness code? Like chancing the readiness test to the measurement of some parameter that is always above/below the pass/fail threshold.

viper k

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i live in PA not to far from you in fayette county your viper will pass no emissions test needed !

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom,

I live in PA where emissions is the nature of the beast. On the other hand it is IMPORTANT to know that your car or Viper in this case will qualify for a emissions exemption if you put less than 5000 miles a year on your car. I don't know about you but I think most viper owners don't put more than that on their viper in PA, especially given the fact that at least 4 months out of the year stink for viper driving.

When you go to get your car inspected and emissions testing, you will need something to prove that you put less than 5K miles on it in the previous year. Every year after that they go right off the milage on your inspection sticker from the previous year and if it is less than 5K miles you are good to go with an emissions exemption, you still have to pay for the exemption sticker.

I have no cats or mufflers on my 95 and it has never been an issue.

So, you should be fine.

Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper