backup lights

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a silver 98 GTS that I bought new and for the first time in 14,000+ miles I have a small problem. Neither of my backup lights come on even though the fuse is good. I have pulled the flat cover from over the transmission and the connections are all tight. Has anyone had a problem like this and what did you find before I go too much further. I did not pull the bulbs, because it seems unlikely that they both went bad at the same time, even though that is a possibility. Any thoughts. Thanks, Geoff

99GTSACR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It sounds like the switch in the trans. Pull the connector off the reverse switch and short the pins together (don't let it touch the frame or any metal). Turn on the ign. and see if your lights are lit. If they are replace the switch. If not look for a broken wire or burnt bulbs.

OP
OP
G

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It turns out to be the switch. Do they seem to go out often? Can they be repaired or do you just have to replace. I may need to get a few if they go out after 14,000 miles. It is a tight area to get a wrench on and they do not show it in the manuel, but they show the skip shift, speed sensor and reverse lockout switches. Geoff

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine were out on my 98 GTS with 2,200 miles when I first bought the car. Finally got around to having switch replaced when Chuck did my frame recall work at 5,500 miles.
Inexpensive to replace switch but apparently a very common problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery