bad caliper?

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just finished a session at TWS with new BM3s and rotors on front, and older (last spring) BM3s and rotors on rear. As always, my front right tire seems to be locking up prematurely. I also have 285s up front, and the seal is removed from prop valve.
My friend put his g-tech meter in my car, and braking is only .7 gs when lockup occurs (and usually about 30mph). I didn't take rotor temps, but my right BM3 pads are 1/2 gone after 2 days, and my left pads have noticeably more pad. Any one think my left caliper isn't doing its share of work?
Should I swap calipers around, or could this be a "system" problem. I would think that my braking technique would be worth at least .9-1.0 Gs. I need to get this fixed before the Viper Days finals.
Has anyone seen this before? Any comments?

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a stock car, the RF locks first because the driver and battery are on the left, making the right side lighter. If you lower the left front only or raise the right rear only with a shim, you will add cross weight and the RF tire will see the same load as the LF and they should lock at the same time. The ideal solution is to corner weight the car.

Clue: I get this when a tire is going down, too. Check tire pressures.

With OEM brakes, you aren't going to get to 1.0 G's (unless you have super sticky tires.) I did some brake testing with a stock '94 that could only get 0.8 G's with OEM pads, prop valve functioning, and new Pilots. With only a change to 40mm rear calipers, same day results were over 1.0 G's.

Yes, that's a partial plug for the rear brakes, but is a great illustration of how the balance is so important, probably more than the "mongo capacity" of a caliper or pair of calipers. I see that a Mr. Chuck Babel and Mr. Ray Datillo are 1-2 in Super Modified; both have enlarged OEM rear brakes.

And sorry if I guessed wrong if you don't have OEM calipers. You can't swap side to side; you could swap the bleeder screw and crossover tube to get them on the other side and still bleed them, but the piston size is staggered and now they would be upside down.

OP
OP
O

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thnks Tom for the reply. You are the brake Guru here. I've been itching to try your ACR-conversion for a while, but haven't had time (you know how that goes). Your rear brakes are also on my list. Maybe this winter.
I've been doing some reading, and have now realized that I can't swap side-to-side. So I'm looking at maybe finding a caliper locally. I know a couple of members with big-brake kits. They might let me "borrow" an old LF caliper.
I just think I should be able to brake more than .70 Gs before lockup.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960