Bad gas ??

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll start this topic so that others that know more can give feed back. With gas prices high, 93-91 octane is not a fast seller. To make it worse during the winter months it's even slower. My question is what is the "shelf life" of the fuel before it starts to loose octane. Is it possible that the 93 octane fuel that we are filling our car with now has less octane than 87.? I'm picking up my viper April 8th. I'll be driving it from WI. To PA. I'll have several fuel stops along the way. This is my first Viper so I'm worried about detonation due to bad fuel. I lost a motor on one of my snowmobiles this season. I'm sure it was due to poor 93 octane fuel. As one piston lost the locating pin due to detonation. This allowed the ring to spin and catch the exhaust port. Anyone that knows 2 strokes knows what kind of damage follows.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the gas is all the same. Then its mixed at the nozzle. But Tom is da man for this info

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And you can run regular gas in a viper. It's just a Dodge. You wont hurt anything as long as you drive normal.

Do a search for "octane" then read toms posts.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on the new Viper. I also got mine on April 8th, but 3 years ago. :)

I'm picking up my viper April 8th.

I always put 93 in mine, but I believe I did get bad gas once so I just went and bought Octane Booster and didn't go to that specific gas station again. I don't know if I would recommend putting 87 regardless if it's a Dodge just in case you ever do decide to drive the car ******* occasion, which most people do. However, 91 should be fine.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The octane booster you see at gas stations and most parts stores are a total waste of money. They raise the octance. 01 not 1 point. Better off putting a gallon of acetone or xylene in a full tank

You can use 87 as long as it is not knocking/ detonating

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The octane booster you see at gas stations and most parts stores are a total waste of money. They raise the octance. 01 not 1 point. Better off putting a gallon of acetone or xylene in a full tank

Good to know.. thanks for the tip.

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the gas is all the same. Then its mixed at the nozzle. But Tom is da man for this info

Seeing that I'm new to vipers. I guessing that the 2000 GTS i bought has knock sensors ecu has knock retard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you. April 8th is also the day my wife and I started dating (15 years ago). My birthday is the 10th of April. So this is gonna be the greatest birthday ever. :D

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, well April is definitely a very good month for you! Perfect time to be getting a Viper for sure. Especially since the snow is just about gone. :2tu:

Thank you. April 8th is also the day my wife and I started dating (15 years ago). My birthday is the 10th of April. So this is gonna be the greatest birthday ever. :D

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the octane to change I'm pretty sure that there has to be evaporation going on. The lighter more volatile hydrocarbons go first. Being stored in an underground tank in the winter? Doubt you have anything to worry about.

And plum... Octane is determined before the pump nozzle. Pretty sure they are not blending that as it's being dispensed. I think the additives are blended in as the basic fuel is loaded in tank wagons for transport tho but that is back up the supply chain at dispatch.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the mid grade (if available) is blended at the pump

around here: reg 87; mid 90; prem 93

other places: reg 87; mid 89; prem 91

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most places in PA. It's 87, 89, 93. As long as the car has knock retard, I don't have to worry.

Last edited:

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Gen 2 vipers have no knock sensors. Therefore, there is no timing pulled when detonation occurs. This is why detonation is more dangerous on a viper than on many other cars.

OP
OP
CSXT802

CSXT802

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gen 2 vipers have no knock sensors. Therefore, there is no timing pulled when detonation occurs. This is why detonation is more dangerous on a viper than on many other cars.

Wow. You mean to tell me my 1988 Shelby CSXT (Dodge shadow) had more advanced engine control than my new to me viper. :(

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure all gas is the same. Even if it was produced at the same facility. It may be spot on 99.9% of the time but there is always something that can go wrong. Maybe the QA (or QC) guy wasn't paying attention on a day a blend valve started going bad or something.

It's like beer. I drink Heineken and occasionally I get one that taste like crap, like they spilled some Budweiser in it or something. Heineken needs better QA. That's something I can't knock about Budweiser, they are consistent, it always tastes like crap.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure all gas is the same. Even if it was produced at the same facility. It may be spot on 99.9% of the time but there is always something that can go wrong. Maybe the QA (or QC) guy wasn't paying attention on a day a blend valve started going bad or something.

It's like beer. I drink Heineken and occasionally I get one that taste like crap, like they spilled some Budweiser in it or something. Heineken needs better QA. That's something I can't knock about Budweiser, they are consistent, it always tastes like crap.

Ah Heineken....you mean the cheap exportversion we don't drink!:lmao:

I like budweiser, wanna trade some of your budweisers for my cheap "peed in" export Heinekens?:2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960