Barber Motorsport race report

fergy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm getting lazy. Here's what I've got for last weekend.

This race was at Barber Motorsports in Leeds, AL and was a combined event with NARRA, Viper Days, and PBOC (Porsche BMW Owners Club). The PBOC guys are great to run with, by the way.

The drive down to Barber Motorsports was eventful instead of the anticipated uneventful. David's trailer containing his and Brad's car decided it didn't want to go any further and broke off its tongue. Well, almost. See video for pictures. I won't get into it too much, but basically David had to have a big rig tow truck come get his trailer, unload some stuff into a U-Haul truck which me and my buddy Craig acquired and then having some friends of David bring out trucks and trailers from Dallas to pick up his and Brad's car for the rest of the trip to Barber. Yeah, it was a pain. The trailer was fixed and David picked it up today 450 miles from here in Forest, MS. He was very lucky he stopped in time before losing the trailer.

Test and Tune on Friday was fun. Barber is an incredible facility. Hell, it would have to be; Indy Cars are there this weekend. Anyway, we were told all about having to pay for turf, flowers, walls, etc. in the event we went off track. We were joking about the cost of each blade of grass. Well, Brad can give you the cost details because he's the only one in our group that went off. :) See video for pictures. Fortunately, he doesn't like the car and he has lots and lots of money to pay for the repair work.

Saturday was race practice, qualifying and a 90-minute race. For the VRL (Viper Racing League), we were only required to run the first 20 laps for points. Anything after that was just for fun. Mine and David's intent was to do all of the race. Well, after about 40 laps (1 hour), David was getting gassed out of his helmet due to his ventilation system sucking up exhaust fumes. I decided what the heck and I went in a lap later. I now wish I had finished the race. Based on where I was at the time, I would have finished 7th out of 47 cars. However, at the time, my shoulder was hurting so bad that I wasn't thinking about the race anymore and I was just wanting to get my HANS device and harness off of the shoulder. Oh well... I'm a pu$$y and I should just nut up. ;) 3 weeks of shoulder pain. Anybody have some extra hydrocodone? :)

We had Eric Curran and Sonny Whelen in the practice and qualifying with us but only Sonny made it to the race because Eric crashed in turn 4. The Whelen's as many know are big into racing and both Eric and Sonny have been in the SCCA Speed World Challenge for years. I saw one of the Whelen race crew on the elevator at the hotel and he said they're not doing WC this year. Anyway, Sonny went off in turn 4 in the race and you can see him there in my video. This took us into a double yellow and a single file restart. Even so, he was so fast, he came from the back to pass me and then lap me later on. It sux to be so slow and short. I put that last part in because one of the David's would have some smartass remark so I wanted to beat them to the punch. BTW, notice in the start how fast Sonny pulls away. His car is much lighter, I'm sure and he have more than my 600 rear wheel HP. Hmm... Ben Keating ended up winning the race. I'm starting to hate him. :) Great job, Ben...

Here's the link to my Race Keeper video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efCiWIQAEX0&fmt=18

After the race, we decided to check out the Barber Motorsports museum. Like the rest of the facility, George dropped some serious coin. Check out some of the pictures in the video. I think he had at least 1 of every motorcycle ever made and a lot of sports cars as well. It's worth a look-see when you're there.

Well, on Sunday, we decided to leave because of rain. This was another mistake besides not finishing the Saturday enduro. We thought the 10:30 am race would be rained out so we left. Well, it magically cleared up and the track dried up and they raced. This meant that the 3rd place guy in mine and David's class got first for Sunday and got more points than me and David so instead of a 1st and 2nd, we got a 2nd and 3rd. Go figure.

Fortunately, the drive home was uneventful.

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kevin,

Nice summary! Sunday's race was exciting for me. I passed 3-4 cars on the first lap, and was leading my class until two laps left in the race. As I was entering Turn 7, I went for the brakes and they were gone! One of my brake lines was cut, and all I could do is spin the car through Turns 7 and 8. Amazingly, I hit nothing and didn't even loose a race position. However, without brakes I could not finish the race. I still finished 1st for the weekend, but what an exciting turn of events! From now on, I'll be inspecting my brake lines (yes stainless installed, but something cut it) between every session!!!! I'll see you in Texas.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte