Barrett-Jaskson-Reno

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, did anyone witness the stealing of the 96 Viper on the Auction block!!
That seller had to be going crazey!! 1 of 120 cars, Yellow wheels, 12k miles, great shape, only $25k,
I feel sorry for that guy. But's Reno, one of the worst places to live for economy.
A car like that , i feel should be in the high 30's. There is a 2005 Viper coming up today. we will see !!!

Good Luck to him / her!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He probably thought the price will go crazy high like some you see on TV, but Vipers just haven't got the reconition they deserve..............yet. He could have gotten more if he stuck it up on ebay. If he was smart, he would have listed it here and autotrader until the auction.

Last edited:

paul fettig

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was at the auction and what I saw on the floor was a 94 with yellow rims and emblem. Windows were the standard windows in 94. Had the fiberglass top but standard ugly canvas windows. Was not impressed with the shine on the car. I have seen better.

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disappointing as owners but good for buyers! Saw the 96 go last night and was surprised at low price.

1995 RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe someone can chime in here and explain this, but I just cannot understand why the Viper just does not seem to get the respect it deserves. It has some Shelby heritage, limited production and very problem free history, but it does not seem to get the attention some of the more common manufactures do ????

Bugman Jeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe someone can chime in here and explain this, but I just cannot understand why the Viper just does not seem to get the respect it deserves. It has some Shelby heritage, limited production and very problem free history, but it does not seem to get the attention some of the more common manufactures do ????
I think the "average" citizen still looks at the Viper as a rare and exotic car. I've only had my '97 a few months, but I get a whole lot of looks, and the people I talk to are absolutely astonished by how cheaply I got it($21K for an easy fixer upper). Average people still think of them as expensive cars out of reach for the regular Joe.

To car people, and the folks actually buying them, it's a different story. It's uncomfortable, it's hard to drive and easy to crash, it rides like a truck, there is no ABS, traction control, or even cruise control. Early RT/10s didn't even have real windows and the top left a lot to be desired. Plus, there are no cup holders :D The Viper was built almost as a street legal race car, and it shows. It performs phenomenally, but compared to other cars in it's price range, or cars with similar performance, it's lacking a lot of features that modern high end sports car drivers have come to expect.

Viper #53

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This month's Sports Car Market has a good overview of the current values of Gen I RT/10s and the amazing value, performance to fun ratio and reliability compared to other sports cars. Who will drive up the price of these great cars are the kids that put up Viper posters on their bed room walls. I've loved driving my RT/10 for 20 years and I could care less how much it's worth. I've had a fantastic time sharing great moments with my Viper friends and everyone else that still gives the car a thumbs up.

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's an expensive car to get parts for-hardly any aftermarket parts-compared to a corvette that you can buy every part ,nut and bolt with correct head markings from a single catalog-hellI can't even get parts from Dodge for my 2001 RT10 anymore-but I can buy every single part I need for my 1963 Corvette and at a reasonabbly cheap price-Viper= Expensive small supply of parts-just not for the majority of people out there-I think that's why they just never took off like I thought they should-rarity doesn't always mean desireability

VardaMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GM and Ford lovers dominate the collector car market. Almost all of them do not care about Vipers because they know and like their stuff more than a Viper. I don't think that the Vipers will ever make it into the big money collector market. I agree with Viper #53. I have also been driving my Viper for 20 years and it is a great, fun car to drive. It has been a fantastic experience!

OP
OP
V

viperman4125

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While that might be true, about the patrs thing. Anyone can own a Corvette now days, so many of them out there.., But not many people can afford a Viper, and they are so few. You want parts buy a Chey. You want prestiage, buy a Perce Arrow ( or a Viper )
It's an expensive car to get parts for-hardly any aftermarket parts-compared to a corvette that you can buy every part ,nut and bolt with correct head markings from a single catalog-hellI can't even get parts from Dodge for my 2001 RT10 anymore-but I can buy every single part I need for my 1963 Corvette and at a reasonabbly cheap price-Viper= Expensive small supply of parts-just not for the majority of people out there-I think that's why they just never took off like I thought they should-rarity doesn't always mean desireability

kenphjr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with you 100 percent-I love my Viper-but I feel that the majority of people would rather have a car that is inexpensive and that has a large support aftermarket availability-whether that's a chevelle or mustang or a Vette-they always seem to have the popularity-For instance -I have Edelbrock headers on my Viper-I figured a large company -great support and they were the only ones that were stainless steel and coated at the time I bought them -well today Edelbrock-one of the best known after market suppliers there is,stopped making headers for the Viper because they only sold between 5 and 6 sets a year-people can't make a living making parts for a Viper-most people out there do it for the love of the car-thus the prices are high reflecting the limited availability of parts-This is my take on why they haven't taken off like we would all like them to-I hope someday people realize how rare the viper is compared to a Vette and they will get there due ,but I'm not sure-hasn't happened yet
While that might be true, about the patrs thing. Anyone can own a Corvette now days, so many of them out there.., But not many people can afford a Viper, and they are so few. You want parts buy a Chey. You want prestiage, buy a Perce Arrow ( or a Viper )

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put in one action movie as a star and away it will go. The whole Eleanor crazy blew my mind. That car brought nothing but drove up all 67/68 mustangs to build repo Eleanor cars which were made up cara to start with. Today's collector is a little gullible. I love Mustangs too but that made up car shouldn't have taken off. Viper's day in the sun is coming. 9 more years to go. Those rich celebrities who paid $100k over sticker for a new 1992 don't lose money like that. They will manipulate. ODB III will be the turning point. Just wait and drive them for now!

hiss highness

Enthusiast
Reaction score
although I like my 97 gts the viper tax is getting out of hand,took a month to find a windshield this spring, would like to put a Paxton on it but 10k for the viper model one where as for a Camaro or mustang Is 5k or less, bought a roush for my mark lt for 2.5k, and then having no mind dodge mechanics to mess things up, my local dealer wanted almost 500 bucks for the same part I bought from vpa for 88, am thinking of a new trans am/Camaro conversion instead, kinda a buell/Harley thing, vipers are nice but you still have Chrysler to deal with

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Explain it? Bidders aren't going to get crazy over a McViper...sorry...or a run of the mill Gen 3. There are a lot of used Vipers on the market and it needs to be a low miles special car to get good money at auction.

kennyhemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the "average" citizen still looks at the Viper as a rare and exotic car. I've only had my '97 a few months, but I get a whole lot of looks, and the people I talk to are absolutely astonished by how cheaply I got it($21K for an easy fixer upper). Average people still think of them as expensive cars out of reach for the regular Joe.

To car people, and the folks actually buying them, it's a different story. It's uncomfortable, it's hard to drive and easy to crash, it rides like a truck, there is no ABS, traction control, or even cruise control. Early RT/10s didn't even have real windows and the top left a lot to be desired. Plus, there are no cup holders :D The Viper was built almost as a street legal race car, and it shows. It performs phenomenally, but compared to other cars in it's price range, or cars with similar performance, it's lacking a lot of features that modern high end sports car drivers have come to expect.

Gee, you just describe about every single muscle car characteristic of the sixities and seventies. Have you seen the prices of Cuda/charger/GTX throw in a hemi under hood and watch it out price just about any muscle car GM and ford has to offer. The last sentence is for the comment of another member saying the collector car market is dominated by GM and ford enthusiast. That said, I would think in order for our beloved viper to gain elite collector car status it would have to out of production. Something I would rather not see. Btw I think the Viper is very well respected buy the GM and Ford crowd(not that it would matter) haven't you been next to a vette or cobra and not been acknowledged? That the ultimate respect!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave