Battery dies < 2 weeks if not used

BlueNNC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a '96 GTS coupe and have replaced the battery in my car two times since I bought my car new in '97. Recently the second battery died and when I replaced the battery with an aftermarket battery it would not hold a charge for longer than 3 to 4 days so I assumed this battery was defective and was returned. I again went back to the Dodge battery and after replacing the battery I didn't drive my car for about 2 weeks so when I tried to crank her this weekend, the battery was dead.

I understand the short life for a battery that isn't trickle charged but the average life span I have got from the batteries is about 2 years. My question is does anyone know if the door lock lights or some other device may be draining the battery when it is not in use. I do not set the alarm but I noticed the yellow indicator lights on the inside door handles were lit. I haven't had this problem in the past with the battery dying within a week or two of non use so anyone out there have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
The yellow indicator lights on the inside door handles should not stay on. They should go out within 20-30 seconds after door(s) are closed whether or not the car is alarmed. That circuit is probably draining the battery. Regardless, you should get a DelTran charger and keep the car hooked up.
Good luck!

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's her way of telling you she misses the open road!

JK - I had the same thing happen to me...drained after sitting for just 3 weeks or so. She's on life support at all times when in the garage now though with no problems - really easy and quick to pop it off for a quick spin.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got a drain in the system somewhere and as Devildog stated, check the lights. If they are not the culprits, then start checking fuses while you have a voltage meter hook to the battery. When it drops from about 11 or 12 down to 3 or less you found the problem area. Good luck,

OP
OP
BlueNNC

BlueNNC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Battery dies &lt; 2 weeks if not used

Tom,

I am going on vacation for tomorrow but I will call or e mail you when I return to discuss why this situation occurrs. I belive something is draining the battery as well.

Thanks,

Cecil Purser

OP
OP
BlueNNC

BlueNNC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for your response. When I return from vacation I will take my car to a dealer and have them find the culprit.

Cecil

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I've got a Suburban with the same problem. I'm an electrical guy and I just can't figure it out. It's an intermittent problem because it shows only 30 ma drain when I check it with a meter. I think that much is ok.
I don't use the truck very often and of course that makes it worse.
I finally gave up and put in a battery disconnect switch, like a race car. That fixed it but I feel guilty for not staying with it until I fixed it.

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A dead battery after 2 weeks without use is "normal" for Vipers (from what I have seen and been told by the dealer). Apparently the Viper requires quite a bit of voltage even when not in use. Many owners use a battery tender to prevent this during long winters of without use.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No that's bunk. A dead battery after 2 weeks without use is not "normal" for Vipers. They don't have any special need for charging. They can sit idle for months without any special care. Just like any other car.
If your dealer told you that, then he is trying to put you off.

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well I have also heard this from several Viper owners with '00 plus cars. Defect perhaps?

I've been fortunate in that I haven't had a dead battery yet. My longest stint on no usage has been 2.5 weeks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang