Battery tender help

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.k. what is the recommended method for hooking up a battery tender to a GEN IV. I have the "Battery Tender Plus" if i'm not mistaken. Is it possible to hook it up like in the Gen I-II's. I know there is a positive terminal under the hood but I am unsure where the negative or ground is. Any help would be great. Thanks!

snakebitdave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I connect my $19.95 Wal-Mart tenders under the hood. Positive to the battery terminal, negative to anything grounded; even use the valve cover screw. Been doing it for 16 years without problems for 5 long winter months.

FangZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also have the battery tender plus. Hooked up the provided pig tail directly to the battery terminals and plug in every time I park on my lift.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my GEN-IV I hook it up at the cigarette plug underneath the arm rest.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go To The Battery And Hook It Up Directly-will Take Ten Minutes/is A 100k Car Folks Dont Half Ax It!!!!

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine is connected directly to the battery and the device is Velcro'd to a flat metal piece right above the difusers. The cord hangs out thru a circular opening in the frame where I have it zip tied.

Bruce

Last edited:
Reaction score
We install the Ctek3300 near the battery with a pigtail in the rear fascia hidden to just plug the extension cord into. very slick and always ready. It even has a cycle mode that discharges and recharges over long storage to help the batteries life.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I also have the battery tender plus. Hooked up the provided pig tail directly to the battery terminals and plug in every time I park on my lift.

Same here. The Battery Tender Plus comes with a quick disconnect pigtail terminal ring connector. Hook the positive to the positive battery terminal and the negative to the frame. There's a screw that threads directly into the frame near the battery tray. Unscrew it, attach the terminal ring on the negative wire, and srew it back into the frame. To hook up the Battery Tender, all you have to do is connect the two ends of the disconnect through the rear fascia.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same here. The Battery Tender Plus comes with a quick disconnect pigtail terminal ring connector. Hook the positive to the positive battery terminal and the negative to the frame. There's a screw that threads directly into the frame near the battery tray. Unscrew it, attach the terminal ring on the negative wire, and srew it back into the frame. To hook up the Battery Tender, all you have to do is connect the two ends of the disconnect through the rear fascia.

I have my Battery Tender Plus set up the same way.

Added bonus is I make the tree huggers scratch their heads when I tell them my Viper is a hybrid due to the electrical cord hanging out the ass of the car.
:lmao:

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one of these on the Mamba for two years and attached it to the battery with velcro... I just bought one for the ACR....cut the ends and affix 10MM ring couplers to the existing battery clamp bolts; between the transformer and retainer attach a quick disconnect plug. These things only weight ounces and when you change the battery, cheap enough to discard....you can get them from HarborFreight.com for 9 dollars....
You must be registered for see images

Harbor Freight Tools=

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody have pics of this setup by chance? I have thought about useing the battery save feature on my '08 but am not sure yet since it only covers about three months according to the manual.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also use the power outlet in the console. Simple and fused location. Also with the cord coming in through the drivers window there is no chance of leaving it plugged in and driving away.

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Harbor Freight Battery Tender (About the size of a Silver dollar)
Quick connect to transformer
View from top...note square fixture at bottom left is the Tender connected to the Battery with Velcro.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go To The Battery And Hook It Up Directly-will Take Ten Minutes/is A 100k Car Folks Dont Half Ax It!!!!

Harbor Freight Battery Tender (About the size of a Silver dollar)
Quick connect to transformer View from top...note square fixture at bottom left is the Tender connected to the Battery with Velcro.
Okay, does anyone else see the humor in this?

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did mine I put some of that battery terminal grease all over the wire connecter ends, the studs, and the nuts before I tightened down the nuts over the connecters. Was that a bad thing to do-should I have just coated everything on the outside after connecting?:dunno:

Art 138

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GR8-ASP: No way 1.5 AMPs will cause any damage...your voltage fluctuates that much just by turning your lights on and off.. LOL... Used this in my last car for two years and current owner still uses it..... trust me I would not install it in this car if I though it would cause any damage....others on this forum have used them....that's where I got the lead years ago.....

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
GR8-ASP: No way 1.5 AMPs will cause any damage...your voltage fluctuates that much just by turning your lights on and off.. LOL... Used this in my last car for two years and current owner still uses it..... trust me I would not install it in this car if I though it would cause any damage....others on this forum have used them....that's where I got the lead years ago.....
Okay, sure. A constant 1.5 amp will boil off a normal battery in no time. I certainly hope you do not have an Optima as they have a very low threshold for overcharging.

As to Harbor Freight's ultra low cost float charger (it is not supposed to provide a constant 1.5 amps) the devil is in the details. And the manufacturer only copied the details. I hope you got ones that were on the right side of tolerances. I have heard horror stories about these cheap chinese copies wasting expensive batteries. Good luck!

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use the 1.5 amp Schumaker tender from wally world for about $20. I have 12 of them running in the garage now. I have used them for years. Evan ran over two of them and they keep going.

I hook directly to the battery terminals. The recommended procedure is to leave the tender on until you leave the garage and reconnect when you return. This is the only way to get the maximum life out of the battery. I only exclude the DD as it does get used more than once a day.

I have had a motorcycle battery that typically last 2 to 3 seasons go for over 7 years before I sold the bike.

I've also used the little HF one and it did work but not after I stepped on it.

I've had some of the Schumaker's so long that they were $18 at wally world. So much for falling prices.:)

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, sure. A constant 1.5 amp will boil off a normal battery in no time. I certainly hope you do not have an Optima as they have a very low threshold for overcharging.

As to Harbor Freight's ultra low cost float charger (it is not supposed to provide a constant 1.5 amps) the devil is in the details. And the manufacturer only copied the details. I hope you got ones that were on the right side of tolerances. I have heard horror stories about these cheap chinese copies wasting expensive batteries. Good luck!

I agree. Spend the $60 - $70 and buy the Battery Tender Plus.

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anybody have pics of this setup by chance? I have thought about useing the battery save feature on my '08 but am not sure yet since it only covers about three months according to the manual.

In addition to full tank of gas, 45 lbs in tires and mats under each wheel, on my '08 last winter I used the "battery save" feature but also started the car once weekly; brought it to operating temp; rowed the gears; back and forthed the car a couple of feet in the garage to keep the ring gear wet; then shut it off and reset "battery save". Put cover back on the car; repeated weekly. No battery tender required, moving parts get lubricated regularly and no surprises in the Spring. With or without a tender, I recommend the once weekly warm up.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very simple and works perfect. On my Gen 4 I have the battery tender with the optional cig. plug and simply plug into the outlet in the center console box. I keep the window down just enough to allow room for the cord to exit the top of drivers window.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62