battery

SBMIANO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My stock battery lost its charge and I put it on the charger and it went to full charge and I put it on a trickle charger. You think it will be ok. It's on a 06 vert with 4k on it. This was my first winter storage

Thanks

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We've had the same problem, when we didn't put the trickle charger on. No problem-o!!!! (Doesn't winter storage ****????!!!!) SPRING!!! COME!!!! LIKE NOW!!! lol ~juli
(Have you not given your VIN to the moderators to upgrade to Viper Owner yet? Did you get the VCA package with your '06 to join? BOTH of you? Gosh, you deserve your memberships!!)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question:
I have an 05 with 3600 miles with the orginal battery, its always on the charger, do you be proactive and replace it after a certain period of time or wait until you get stranded?

What do you mean? We have our cars on trickle-chargers due to not being able to drive them in the winter time...do you mean you don't drive yours? And, yours is always being charged by the trickle-charger? Replace WHAT after a certain period of time---the battery or the charger? I'm confused as to what your question is...but I know ONE thing: If we lived in Florida, we'd be DRIVING that Viper, and NO need for ANY trickle-chargers!!
:drive::drive::drive::drive: Fill us in, and maybe we can help a bit more? :) ~juli

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Ct and still have my original 2003 battery. I start the car once a month and let it come up to full operating temperature which charges the battery too. If the roads are clear i will drive the viper for an hour or so to get all the fluids up to temperature. It really is not good to let a engine and or car sit for long periods of time as these is a lack of lubrication and the seals tend to get out of round and start leaking.

VIPER R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a cut-off switch on the negative battery cable with an exterior key basically for safety in case of fire. I now shut it down if I'm not going to drive for awhile. I'm not sure if this does any overall damage to the electronics though. It does help with battery discharge.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Along these same lines, my Dodge replaced warranty battery did the same thing this winter which was "die", so I put a a trickle charger on it and wired it up so I can attach the trickle charger from behind underneath without having to screw myself to death with the battery cover each time.

My question is this! After charging it up real good and then taking it out for a drive, it seemed to be a dog and had what seemed like timing issues (missing) in the 1800 to 3000 rpm range. I just idled it around for about 100 miles on a nice Sunday drive, didn't push it at all and then it seemed like around the 100 mile mark from when I took it out of storage, the hestiation and missing issues disappeared completely and it feels like the Snake got a vitamin B-12 shot. The car is the strongest I have ever felt in the 1200 miles I have put on it since new.

Can someone explain how the Viper controller in an 06 (mine anyway) really works? Does it perform all of it's major learning in the first 100 miles once a battery is hooked up? Just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

The car is just awesome right now. I do have the usual storage battery drain like everyone else , but will trickle charge it now in the future.

My only mods are Fidanza Flywheel, 3.55 gears, skip-shift eliminator, new Dodge warranty tranny (tranny was dead right from new delivery) and Woodhouse shifter.

Complete Bellanger exhaust system is on order. Curious if I need to expect the same learning period as well. Does anyone whose battery lost chrage over storage, need to have a 100 mile relearning period?

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in Ct and still have my original 2003 battery. I start the car once a month and let it come up to full operating temperature which charges the battery too. If the roads are clear i will drive the viper for an hour or so to get all the fluids up to temperature. It really is not good to let a engine and or car sit for long periods of time as these is a lack of lubrication and the seals tend to get out of round and start leaking.

...just sitting here shaking my head in disbelief....:rolaugh:

Next you going to tell us not to store a battery on the floor (concrete)??????? :rolleyes:

Always wondered what it was like to be stuck in the 50's :lmao:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JS;

Care to explain why keeping all the seals lubicated and wet in a vehicle is such a bad thing?

I am sitting here in disbelieve, trying to understand all the logic behind your wisdom? From that response, I am trying to figure out if you even own a car or any kind?

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JS;

Care to explain why keeping all the seals lubicated and wet in a vehicle is such a bad thing?

I am sitting here in disbelieve, trying to understand all the logic behind your wisdom? From that response, I am trying to figure out if you even own a car or any kind?

Another one with no clue. Did I say it was a bad thing? No. I am implying that what was said is not going to help at all. Ever see a seal get out of round.....while on a "round" surface no less?????:rolleyes:

If you do not start the engine, where does the oil that was on said seals go? No where, it is still there. It does not just dry off, or all run off. There will be a coating there unless some outside force acts upon it. It will not dry up in one winter slumber. Hell I would put money on it that 2 won't hurt it one bit.

Starting the car and letting it idle, even if for a half hour, is worse then not starting it. (See posts by Tom the oil expert, don't take my word for it.)

Now about you line..."From that response, I am trying to figure out if you even own a car or any kind?" Are you another one who thinks that if I just happen to have a garage and there is no Viper in it, I don't know jack? If so, you logic is more flawed than the rubber your father worn on the "special night". ;)

Do you know what is in my garage? No. What is in there makes no difference as to what I know. Does your Viper = "I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night and know it all" ??? If there are 2 Vipers in my garage right now, does that mean I am twice as qualified as you to speak on this subject?

Maybe all the years I spent in the auto industry working on cars, trucks, mean nothing. Just as my training by a few of the major auto mans. means nothing. Also, the years I spent getting some stupid papers than can hang on the wall and combined add up to something referred to as an A.S.E. Certified Master Tech mean nothing at all.:rolleyes:

My continued work in the automotive field, along with continued training make me more than qualified to **** thru the bs spewed by some here. That includes those who still "live in the old days" when form-a-gasket was all the rage and front disc brakes where new.

Ahhh, why am I wasting my time. You will do as you please anyway.

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Next you going to tell us not to store a battery on the floor (concrete)??????? :rolleyes:

Always wondered what it was like to be stuck in the 50's :lmao:[/quote

Please tell me you are joking, get back on your bicycle.:lmao:

Another country heard from :rolleyes:

Do you believe a battery will go bad from sitting on the floor? :nono:

Better get that quick, your 45 of Chubby Checker is skipping on the turntable.

iron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A number of people mentioned the BCM's at issue in the '05 / '06 cars. I never investigated further to know if there was anything to it (ie - some sharp guys' info vs meaningless babble). I do know my '06 is on it's 2nd battery and the new one goes dead in about a week if it is not driven ... and it is in south Florida.

Appreciate someone informed giving their input. It is already in the shop (FOR WAY TOO LONG ... AWAITING 'some" PARTS) for what they told me the computer spit out 'bad o2 sensors and bad cats'.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A number of people mentioned the BCM's at issue in the '05 / '06 cars. I never investigated further to know if there was anything to it (ie - some sharp guys' info vs meaningless babble). I do know my '06 is on it's 2nd battery and the new one goes dead in about a week if it is not driven ... and it is in south Florida.

Appreciate someone informed giving their input. It is already in the shop (FOR WAY TOO LONG ... AWAITING 'some" PARTS) for what they told me the computer spit out 'bad o2 sensors and bad cats'.

I have heard of a few bad 05/06 BCM's with internal shorts, so there is some truth to it.

As to your second comment, please check your other thread...

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Always wondered what it was like to be stuck in the 50's :lmao:

I have no idea what your problem is. I stated a fact as to what I have done to maintain my battery. Yesterday it was 40 degrees out. I went out and my viper started up after sitting for a month. Dad and I went for a 3 hour drive. What does the 50's got to do with anything. By the way, I was raised in the 50's, were you? believe me it was a lot better then than it is now. ask anyone who was raised back then.

By the way, where do you get off with the personal attacks on me. If they continue you will be reported. It is interesting that you hide behind the lines as an "Enthusiast" with no profile whatsoever. If you are going to quote me then do so word for word. Do not make it up as you go.

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First off what i stated above is a fact, I have my original battery still in mmy viper after 5 years and 23,000 miles. if you have an y doubts why don't you proove me wrong by looking at my battery and checking its serial and manufacturing number.

Second, all seals will get a set to tem if they sit for long periods of time. When this happens they become disformed and out of round. this can cause leaks. This is the primary reason why front and rear main sels leak. All car musems turn the engines over on all the cars in their collection once a month so as to eliminate this problem from happening.

Third. here is another option that I have installed on customers car and boats. It is called Priority Start. It disconnects the battery before it becomes completely drained and leaves enough voltage availble to start the engine.

Here is the website. http://www.prioritystart.com/

I will be installing one of these this spring as my battery was dead after being sick for 2 months. But after recharging the battery, at 2 amps overnight, and load testing it, everything was fine. The battery is a good as new.

Reaction score
What do you mean? We have our cars on trickle-chargers due to not being able to drive them in the winter time...do you mean you don't drive yours? And, yours is always being charged by the trickle-charger? Replace WHAT after a certain period of time---the battery or the charger? I'm confused as to what your question is...but I know ONE thing: If we lived in Florida, we'd be DRIVING that Viper, and NO need for ANY trickle-chargers!!
:drive::drive::drive::drive: Fill us in, and maybe we can help a bit more? :) ~juli

Hi Juli,
I'm sorry I wasn't more specific. Let's try it again.
Yes, I drive it, but with 3600 miles, you can easily appreciate how often.
As you probably can guess, I'm still a working man, and since my daily driver seats five (5) in comfort, and my Viper only seats 2. I can't drive clients around in my Viper unless they ride solo.

I have five vehicles, and a Harley to boot. Can't drive them all and yes the weather is beautiful most of the time and thats why I've lived here since 1976. Batteries have a useful life, and I'd rather replace it early than be stranded later.

For an example, the Harley battery is on a trickle charger, like the Viper and it last 2-3 years, I just replaced it last month. It still worked okay, but was past its useful like and I made the decision to replace it for $90.00 as I don't want to get stranded to save a buck.
Its a 1995, bought new, and has only 6000 miles on it.

I guess my specific questions is: what is the experience of the Viper community with the life of the original OEM battery on a Viper after three years?
:drive:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Juli,
I'm sorry I wasn't more specific. Let's try it again.
Yes, I drive it, but with 3600 miles, you can easily appreciate how often.
As you probably can guess, I'm still a working man, and since my daily driver seats five (5) in comfort, and my Viper only seats 2. I can't drive clients around in my Viper unless they ride solo.
I have five vehicles, and a Harley to boot. Can't drive them all and yes the weather is beautiful most of the time and thats why I've lived here since 1976. Batteries have a useful life, and I'd rather replace it early than be stranded later.
For an example, the Harley battery is on a trickle charger, like the Viper and it last 2-3 years, I just replaced it last month. It still worked okay, but was past its useful like and I made the decision to replace it for $90.00 as I don't want to get stranded to save a buck.
Its a 1995, bought new, and has only 6000 miles on it.
I guess my specific questions is: what is the experience of the Viper community with the life of the original OEM battery on a Viper after three years?
:drive:

Ah, yes, that's more specific, thank you!! Okay, now I get ya on WHY your vehicles are being charged up. We don't have a trickle charger for the Hayabusa, but may get one for next winter...this has been too brutally cold. We've had our original battery since 2004 in the Viper...charging/trickle-charging...and yes, it goes dead sometimes...but always revives...so we have not replaced it yet...oh, and we have 9300miles on it. So, now I understand what you were asking...! TY~~~~juli

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ah, yes, that's more specific, thank you!! Okay, now I get ya on WHY your vehicles are being charged up. We don't have a trickle charger for the Hayabusa, but may get one for next winter...this has been too brutally cold. We've had our original battery since 2004 in the Viper...charging/trickle-charging...and yes, it goes dead sometimes...but always revives...so we have not replaced it yet...oh, and we have 9300miles on it. So, now I understand what you were asking...! TY~~~~juli

Mike and Juli,

here is the battery tender I have been using for years on our farm equipment. I am going to install one of these near the battery in the rear of the viper or under the hood connected to the circuit breaker box.

Summit SUM-1214CC

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D1214CC&N=700+%2D107308+115&autoview=sku

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Robbie! Thank you for the information...I double-checked with Mike last night, and he said our battery has NEVER died in the Viper...the trickle-charger works like a charm. Mike's Dad also has farm equipment that needs charging like you! Small World~~~juli

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no idea what your problem is. I stated a fact as to what I have done to maintain my battery. Yesterday it was 40 degrees out. I went out and my viper started up after sitting for a month. Dad and I went for a 3 hour drive. What does the 50's got to do with anything. By the way, I was raised in the 50's, were you? believe me it was a lot better then than it is now. ask anyone who was raised back then.

By the way, where do you get off with the personal attacks on me. If they continue you will be reported. If you are going to quote me then do so word for word. Do not make it up as you go.

All, excuse the colors, Robbie using them has caused the following mishmosh (sp)

JS- First off, sorry that the jokes went over your head. Next time I will t a l k r e a l s l o w .

RR-"It is interesting that you hide behind the lines as an "Enthusiast" with no profile whatsoever. "

JS-Just how is it the I am hiding? Please explain when my real name is right there? Do I need to post my home addy too? I was not aware that was required????

RR-"
Second, all seals will get a set to tem if they sit for long periods of time. When this happens they become disformed and out of round. this can cause leaks. This is the primary reason why front and rear main sels leak. All car musems turn the engines over on all the cars in their collection once a month so as to eliminate this problem from happening."

JS-You mention car museums....those cars are not the topic here. Those cars sit for longer than a winter and older cars like those founds in museums also do not have the modern type seals that todays cars do.

JS-Show me a car whose seals went "flat" please. I would love to see a round crank-seal go flat. Thanks

JS-Now about "
I start the car once a month and let it come up to full operating temperature which charges the battery too. "

JS-That is another part I disagree with and this has been beaten to death here. This does more harm than good. Again, ask Tom the "expert" here. Or maybe a search can show the dozens of times this has been discussed.

JS-My first reply here, "

JS-Next you going to tell us not to store a battery on the floor (concrete)??????
JS-Always wondered what it was like to be stuck in the 50's :lmao:"

JS-Please, show me the "personal attacks" against you????

JS-The following is what you said, isn't it? .....

RR"By the way, where do you get off with the personal attacks on me. If they continue you will be reported."

JS-Did the "stuck in the 50's" line I said bother you?
JS- Why?
JS-Would you feel better if I said, ...
JS-"Robbie, you really need to keep up with modern advancements and forget the ways of old" (50's)
???

JS-If you would like any further replies and answers from me, just ask. I will get back to you as time permits. Thanks

Oh, Ritchie,..;)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question:

I have an 05 with 3600 miles with the orginal battery, its always on the charger, do you be proactive and replace it after a certain period of time or wait until you get stranded?

21 posts later, noone has answered Steve's question yet?? You don't have to worry about your battery until the car gets hard/slow to start. I wouldn't wait to get stranded before you replace, but I also wouldn't throw money away by replacing it if the current battery fires the car up with no hesitation.

This thread seems to have the makings of a possible trainwreck...let the madness resume......

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would say turn the key to "on" and the battery gauge should show how much of a charge you have. Anything less than 12V and/or a slow crank and I would look into replacing the battery.

I would generally say that anything left on a trickle charger should be ok.

If you have a Fluke meter or other electrical tester, you could test the battery that way as well, or pull it out and run it down to your local auto parts store and let them load test it.

Kenneth Krieger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just to drum in on this post.......I used a "battery tender" on my Gen 1 and the battery was fine for the entire 7 years that I owned the car. NEVER a problem. That's saying something as the 110 degree + heat in the summer in AZ will kill a battery very easily. I was very religious about plugging it in after every drive! Now, my 05 has about 5500 miles and again I am using the battery tender after every drive. Still the original battery, and as I said previously, the summer heat in AZ usually kills a battery after 1 or 2 years. The tender is the answer! It's the best insurance for saving the life of a battery!

Reaction score
Thanks everyone that responded, and yes I put the battery tender on as soon as I get done riding my serpeant and put it to rest in the garage.
Signed by,
The Garage Queen.

PS-I guess the main reason I was concerned is because YELLOW is FASTER.