BC Forest fires

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Starting to look like F Fires may become a serious problem soon. Here we have 2 F.Fires North, 2 F. Fires to the West, 1 Forest Fire to the Southeast and 2 more fires West. Forest service has requested a Fire camp and none are available. We have almost No crew and only 1 waterbomber with 3 Helis operating on our fires.

Excuse is that they're in the Parks so they don't do the parks. Highway west is closed and has been closed since Fri afternoon. Highway to east will be closed shortly because the fire is almost at the highway.

Government website shows that ALL listed fires are the same size with No growth for last 2 days. 650, 480 hectares and a few (4?)other smaller fires. Couldn't find the Forest Fire burning at Tatla Lake on website (Wildfires of Note - Wildfire Management Branch - Ministry of Forests and Range - Province of British Columbia) Think that they should have updated size of fire since they're getting pretty close at 30 & 23 kms away from our towns.

Tonight the news said that all firefighting equipment is stretched to tghe limit and with only a dozen or so fire fighters here, we're gonna be in big trouble when the fires get closer and there's no fire fighting happening. Prediction is that things are going to get much worse over the next few weeks. At least a Forest Fire is good for business.

Ted

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted,

Best of luck with the fires and I hope that it's all under control soon.

Our thoughts are with you and the communitites affected.

Greg

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The biggest problem we have right now is the Liars ... oops I mean the Liberals. They evacuated an entire community and town today and then they finally added that fire to the website. Here's pics my buddy took on his drive through that town while ccoming here for the famous fishing in my front yard.

You must be registered for see images

That's the Hotel downtown Alexis Creek. Picture is from pickup driving down highway 20. Yes those flames are huncreds of feet high and this picture was taken yesterday at 6pm. No road advisories and no road blocks until 10kms east of Tatla (100kms east of my house. 2 highway road closures east of us and 1 road closure west of us.

I heard that Bella Coola has 4 massive fires in the valley and their only way out will probably be by ocean. Pray for them.

We have fires all around us and in every direction. Most of the 6 close fires are less than 30kms away. Our Liberal Government better not kill us - or allow the 4 cars I can drive/trailer out of here to get burned up!!! I can't believe that those Liberal Losers got voted in again. They've already raised mill rates on property taxes and have now promised us HST to raise our taxes again. 2 months ago they promised that they wouldn't raise taxes. Liars. You'll notice that they have almost NO firefighters and half of BC may burn up this month? At least they saved Whistler for the Olympics from that 50 Hectare fire and left us a few more than 12 firefighters here.

Doesn't look likely that I'll be attending the HNITC show in Kamloops and it's very likely that I'll be here for the Kelowna event as well. If I get evacuated then we'll probably attend Kelowna.

We'll see. Thanks Greg

Ted

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted,

We haven't heard from you in a couple of days.:dunno:

Hope things are OK?:(

We are all hoping for the best for you and your area.:)

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My buddy showed up from Vanderhoof and we've been fishin' my front yard. Yesterday we drove into Kappan Lake and although there were a couple of 3 pounders and a 4 pounder my buddy leaned over and dumped us into the middle of the lake while the boat was trolling away from us. Thankfully he swam fast enough to catch the boat and we climbed back in. That was a near death experience yesterday.

More fires here, but no news about them from the Gov. sources/Liars. The Alexis creek fire has been controlled. Our fires have only a few fighters working on them. Mostly they're in the mountains and being ignored. Lots of smoke quite often covers the lake. Bella Coola has 4 big fires in the valley and they're evac'ing about 40 people so far. They're only allowing traffic a once a day. Now that Lilloet, Vernon and Blackcombe fires are not as serious, maybe we'll get some suppoort? Bella Coola is in serious danger and I think that most of our fire support is working there. Apparently they've rented fishing/logging camp barges for a fire camp down there?

None of the fires east of us are a serious problem at the highway so I'm heading to Kamloops today and hopefully nothing will change before I get back. I've got the trailer hookedup to the pickup just in case. If we evacuate I could save my Duster towing my modified Stealth TT, and the pickup towing the GTS with some tools and valuables (non-insured stuff). Many/most of our Heritage/memorabilia burned up with our Motel 5 years ago.

They've started a fire fighter's camp, promised 250 firefighters days ago (haven't seen them yet). Only a few trailers and a half dozen tents last time I went by there yesterday.

Fires at Alexis Creek are suspicious a deliberate attempt to burn the town? The cops are 'investigating'.

We're OK so far and we're still hoping to go to VCA Kelowna next week.

Thanks for your concern, but we're OK for now.

Ted

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is serious business - lives and livings are at stake. I hope it all goes well.

I does make one wonder why we use firewood to build our homes doesn't it.

Greg

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
W try to burn the firewood before God does it. Building is good, especially the exported stuff? Burning firewood uses up fuel that would otherwise be part of a wildfire? Nontaxed heat!!! No GST, PST or Carbon Tax - yet. The cool weather really helps a lot.

On a lighter note here's a pic I took from my Patio. My buddies fishing in my front yard. He left this morning. All our fishing was catch and release. In a few hours last night (here) we caught about 7 fish each. The rainbows were deep and averaged about 2.5#.

Heading out to Hot Night In the City this morning.

Ted

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted,
I looks like living in the woods, like anywhere else, has its pro's and cons..... Your front yard looks pretty darn nice to me!

Greg

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Biggest problem here is No racetrack. Highway 20 is great and 200miles away from the nearest town (with only 5 cops between there and me) does enhance life though.

I do like my front yard, although I'd trade it for a racetrack in an instant.

My wife is really 'into' Moose and loons so it's perfect for her. I use the lake for relaxing. Paddling the canoe is a great way to relax. We have snowmobile and Canoe races in summer. Sleds are much faster on the water compared to the snow. We race snowmobiles down the river a mile and back. First place gets $1-1500. I did my "cowboy" thing for a couple years even.

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I attended the Hot Nith in the City show at Kamloops on Sat. Ron and his wife stopped by and said they're thinking of attending Kelowna next weekend. His Dart ran 10.17 at Ashcroft!!! Didn't hang around to see if I won anything (my car was a little dirty so not much chance of winning). My friends Stealth won a new award called "Bling". :):)

In Kamloops the Helicopters were busy and the area was hazy with smoke. Sunday was cloudy and smoke could be smelled downtown Kamloops. Here's a pic of the Mountains outside of Kamloops ...

Cruising home along highway 20 was kinda nice ... and deserted. Ran into a restart of a Forest Fire they put out 4 days ago. Had to RUSH home and phone in the new fire :) That was a quick trip. It seems that the Deer really don't like the sound of my GTS above the speed limit as I saw NO deer this trip, but usually all the deer I see while driving the Stealth or the Viper are running away. The Deer do like Fords as I've hit 3 Deer and a Moose with my F150 and smoked one in the wife's Escape.

Down the Hill towards Savanah.

Ted

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the fires around you.

You live in one of the most beautiful places in the world.

The firefighters up there are some of the best in the world. When San Diego got hit a couple years ago, they send down some crews and equipment to help out. Those big water bombers can drop tons of water in a hurry, and accurately. Saved a ton of houses. The help was appreciated. Maybe time to send some of ours back up to help you guys out this time.

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Right now they're not doing much here because most of the fires are in the Parks and they let nature "take it's course" and there's no resources left for this low population area. I think that every available firefighter in the world has been invited and most of them are here in BC. Gotta save the Winter Olympics, eh? It rained a touch today and the cool temps are really helping. I think that a few of the fires must have slowed down lately.

We're hoping to head to Idaho for a week after the VCA event next weekend. I'll load my modified Stealth TT on a car trailer and hook that behind my 440 Duster, just in case.

Maybe I'll get some trophy pics before this is all over? We're still hopeful that we're gonna be safe.

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nope, that's taken in my front yard. Buddy and I were out fishing and got carried away pulling in the trout (7 each in about 2.5 hrs) and I took that pic while driving boat back to house. Pretty weird lookin'?

Ted

OP
OP
R

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Made it home last night about 1am.

Had fun in Idaho and bought a pile of stuff for half of what it cost us here. 2900kms on pickup.

Picked up my Viper and trailer from Jim's place and while having a 'cool one' a Barnstormer Owl came and visited us. I got some good pics.

Fires here seem to be mellowing out or perhaps burning away from people. Our 'camp' is packing and moving away tomorrow. Smoke was everywhere we went in Canada and the US except for a hundred miles or so around Williams Lake (wind direction).

New fires at Clinton and Kamloops. Big fire camp ourside of Alexis Creek (200kms east of here). Another big fire at Chilco and one at **** Lake.

I guess I'd say it's same old, same old(?).

Ted

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razorwire