BCM Battery Drain

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been trying to find the cause and I traced it to fuse B3 which feeds into the body control unit. There is a steady draw of .26amps which nicely drops to. 03amps when the fuse is pulled, thus confirming the bcm. Anyone have any thoughts on what might be suspect?
Thanks
Max

zombiesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
your going to need a good wiring diagram to go from here. anything that can be switched on by the bcm, the bcm itself, or even a bad ground could cause a draw. so its just going to need some time testing the electrical components. im not sure if its a common problem on them, but if it is some one on here will let you know

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Don't know if this would be considered normal or a problem. Might want to ask Herb Helbig about it in the "Grail Trail" section of the forums.

I resigned to keep my Vipers on battery tenders when not being driven a year or so after I bought my first one in 2004. No issues since then.

OP
OP
V

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The drain of 0.26amps is not normal. The service manual notes that initial reading should drof to 25-35 milliamps after 3 minutes. The drain is such that I would be out of juice the second day. I noted the drain level in case someone knew what circuit would pull about 1/4 amp. There are several circuits on the bcm to track down and was looking for a likely suspect.
Max

ViperJeff

Legacy Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Have you tried pulling fuses 1 at a time to see if the draw drops?

OP
OP
V

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the fuse yank and that's what led me to the b3 fuse which goes to the bcm. Another observed event is the driver door response. It now only releases when the latch is on it's way back up. The other door is fine with release as soon as it is pushed a smidge down. That may well be a relay in the door or at least requiring ripping into it, but would be good to have opinion before I do. The door behavior to my recall seems coincident with the drain issue.

OP
OP
V

ViperDad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, more in the ongoing search. I noted that the other door solenoid energizes when the latch is pulled. However I don't hear anything on the driver door. I am going to conclude that the cable failure of my other new posting was the caused solenoid failure. Going to have to pull it but betting it's either grounded or points are fused shut.
Again on my other topic, if you have to keep a trickle charger, its a good suspicion that the cable has failed. Stay tuned!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32